X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Alciatore
    • May 2002

Grizzly G0484 Mill Head Tilt Problem

I got a Grizzly G0484 last year and am quite happy with it. But, when I attempted to tilt the head I ran into trouble. After loosening the two nuts on each side of the head, I could not budge it. No matter how hard I tried, it would not move. I had awful visions of solidified cheap grease or perhaps even paint in the wrong place. I was really worrying about how I would bust it free.

Then, one day I had an inspiration. I looked under the head in an upwards direction, directly behind the spindle. Sure enough, there was a third nut. Loosen all three and it instantly swings with almost no resistance.

I feel like quite a dummy for not looking sooner. But, I hope by posting it here, I can save others the same worry that I had over this.
    Paul A.
    s
    Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.
  • Tinkerer
    • Oct 2004

Guess you should of looked at that Damn Manual... Clumsy Bastard. As Sir John would say.
    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

• Paul Alciatore
      • May 2002

Originally posted by Tinkerer
      Guess you should of looked at that Damn Manual... Clumsy Bastard. As Sir John would say.
      Manual? Well, I did look. Typical Chinese manual, not much actual help. Quote, "For special milling operations, loosen the headstock tilt lock nuts and rotate the headstock to the needed angle (Figure 17)."

Figure 17 shows a side view of the head with only one nut visible. NO arrows or legends or help text of any kind in the image. Most of the other images do have such additions and this leads me to suspect that the author was not very familiar with the machine. The parts breakdown, which is quite nice otherwise, shows only ONE of these screws/nuts, not two or three. Apparently the draftsman wanted to keep it simple. Also the parts list does not show the quantity used, only a part number.

The third screw/nut IS HIDDEN. And there is no logical reason to assume there is a third one: the two that are easily visible are 180 degrees apart, leading one to assume they are the only ones.

Anyway, I put the information out to HELP others, not to be made fun of for not doing something that I did indeed do. I even carefully worded the title of the thread to allow it to be found by internet search engines when someone is looking for help on this.
      Paul A.
      s

Comment

• Tinkerer
        • Oct 2004

No you wok in rung airhea... need to swee exspoded whoo and count bolts. Little info here and dare... kinda da code.

Oh and the oil drail hole is up under there as well just so ya known when the time comes... nodge nodge.

Anyway, I put the information out to HELP others, not to be made fun of for not doing something that I did indeed do. I even carefully worded the title of the thread to allow it to be found by internet search engines when someone is looking for help on this.
        Lighten up... Have a good day.
        Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

• Black_Moons
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore
          Anyway, I put the information out to HELP others, not to be made fun of for not doing something that I did indeed do.
          You would think after 3800 posts he would of learned the diffrence beween someone joking around, poking a little fun here and there and someone actualy being mean.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• Dave S.
            • Apr 2006

My Enco machine of the same size and design had Lock washers installed and you had to back the nuts way off to get things loose enough to move. I make three solid washers and took my die grinder and ground the seating area square to the hole because the folks in China just left it as cast with the draft still there. Makes it a whole lot easier to adjust the tram this way.

Dave

Comment

• Paul Alciatore
              • May 2002

3800 posts? Who me?

Look, check, look.....

Oh, looks like I did do that many. Time flies. But number of posts is not an indication of knowledge or wisdom. But again, I do posess both. I know, I do, so there!

My "parts breakdown" = "exspoded whoo". I got that directly from the top of the manual page with the exploded view. Perhaps I have a spelling disability.

I didn't really take any offense. I know it was in jest. But I do actually read the manuals. I was just pointing out that the manual was no help.
              Paul A.
              s

Comment

• doug931
                • Jan 2004

tilting the head

there is one model that Grizzly sells that has the three bolts( one is hidden}, plus an allignment pin that holds it the vertical position. This pin needs to be pried out to release the head. Ask me how I know?
                The mill in qwestion is the vertical horizontal model, I dont know the model #,
                i bought mine in Canada.
                House of tools, Edmonton
                Doug, in Cold Lake, Alta.

Comment

• HAP
                  • Mar 2010

Third Nut

That was the same scenario for me when I whent to tram my 0484. I was surprized at how smooth the head moved as well. This machine has a lot of great features for the price. I am very pleased with its performance. The only real disapointment is no spindle lock or wrench...
                  Who do I think you are...?

Comment

Working...
                  X