PDA

View Full Version : Lyman vs RCBS elec. powder thrower

hwingo
05-16-2010, 01:00 PM
I am on the verge of purchasing either the Lyman 1200 DPS 3 powder dispenser and scale (combo) or the RCBS ChargeMaster dispenser/scale (combo). Though primarily dispensing 220-230 grains of H869 per throw, I will also be using the dispenser for smaller throws.

My buddy has the RCBS ChargeMaster but is encouraging me to purchase the Lyman 1200 DPS 3 rather than the RCBS ChargeMaster citing the Lyman to be "better". Have you guys had experience with either product and if given the opportunity would you select differently and why?

It seems that the only basic differences is speed and cost. Lyman is "billed" to be the faster of the two and it cost less.

Harold

RWO
05-16-2010, 03:12 PM
I researched the issue online and the opinion on multiple boards favored the RCBS over the Lyman (DPS II)by a large margin. I bought the RCBS about 6 months ago and it has performed flawlessly. I have no info on the DPS 3

FWIW, Hornady now has a very similar unit on the market at a lower price. Both are made by PACT according to one post I read. I have not seen a review.

There is a good comparison of the RCBS and Lyman II here:
http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

RWO

ulav8r
05-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Neither would be as fast as a dipper. Many benchresters use dippers and get good accuracy. At 220-230 grains, you don't need to worry too much about .2 grain variations in charge.

hwingo
05-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks Guys for your response. Now it's time to make a decision.

Regards,

Harold

sdeering
05-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Go RCBS. You can also use a dipper slightly under what you want and let the measurer do the final trickle to speed things up.

50BMGBOB
05-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Get a good electric scale and just use a dixie cup. I do that for 223.0 grs of H50BMG. After just a few rounds you will be amazed at how quickly you can pour them vary close and then by tapping the side of the cup with it tipped a little trickle them right on. I load all my match ammo for 1,000 yards that way. Each measured until my scale states exactly 223.0 grs.

hwingo
05-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Hi guys,

The deed is done and a digital scale/dispenser is on the way. I've decided to use a conventional powder thrower to dispense the greatest volume of powder and call on the digital dispenser to trickle the remainder up to desired weight.

Harold

gzig5
05-26-2010, 01:53 AM
Hi guys,

The deed is done and a digital scale/dispenser is on the way. I've decided to use a conventional powder thrower to dispense the greatest volume of powder and call on the digital dispenser to trickle the remainder up to desired weight.

Harold

Well.............Which one?!

hwingo
05-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Well.............Which one?!

Well ...... actually I purchased both but I am considering returning the RCBS because it apparently requires repeated calibration.

Harold