PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate adhesive to lock a taper?

The Artful Bodger
05-17-2010, 07:15 PM
I have a small project in progress which will use a cheap drill press as the power source.

The drill press has B16 taper and a chuck. It would be really easy to use the chuck to connect to the shaft that I need to drive but there would be no thrust on the shaft to keep the chuck firmly on the taper.

I have looked inside the chuck and it has a hole right through so no chance of putting a screw into the end of the taper.

It would be possible to turn a matching taper in the end of my shaft but the same considerations apply.

The solution appears to be an adhesive so the question is which one? Good strength and low melting point for example?

Or any other ideas.

thanks

Black_Moons
05-17-2010, 08:19 PM
a drop of the right acid.. unfortualy I forget what exactly, or just some water and some time, can rust a chuck onto a JT taper something fearce, unlikey to be removable with less then destruction of the chuck, and maybe even damage to the spindle bearings...
I suspect similar would work on a B16 taper.

Of course, This is.. a rather, non removable install. so make sure its a CHEAP drill press and a chuck you don't mind being stuck on there for a long, long time. (What else where you gonna stick on a drill press?)

IE: Make sure it has more then enough clamping force to use the biggest bits that drill press will ever use, don't 'rust' on a cheap keyless chuck and wonder why all your drills slip, get a cheap keyed if you must.

Dr Stan
05-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Would it be feasible to cross pin the drill shank?

browniesharp
05-17-2010, 08:22 PM
You could use one of the threadlocking adhesives. Selection of which one would depend on the amount of torque which the chuck/shaft must carry and how close the fit between the shaft and chuck inside taper. Loctite 290 (penetrating or wicking grade) has the lowest breakdown with shear while one of the high strength formulations would be more resistant.
An advantage of the penetrating or wicking grade is that the chuck could be fitted to the shaft of the drill press and then a drop of the adhesive applied to the joint. Fairly quickly the theadlocker will be drawn into the joint. For a stronger joint or with a poorer fit between parts, the higher strength adhesive (with higher viscosity) could be applied to the drill press shaft and then the chuck forced on the shaft with a twisting motion. Regardless of which adhesive used, both the drill press shaft and the inside taper in the chuck should be thoroughly cleaned with solvent and allowed to dry.
These types of adhesive breakdown at temperatures greater than 300 degrees F.

The Artful Bodger
05-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone..

These types of adhesive breakdown at temperatures greater than 300 degrees F. That is what I wanted to hear, it means I will be able to get it apart with the 'hair dryer' if I need too.

Thanks.

johnnyd
05-17-2010, 10:15 PM
try putting a frozen taper into a really hot spindle. (hope you never have to get it back out):D