PDA

View Full Version : Some of you believe you can't ever have too many tools.

Your Old Dog
05-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Was having a good day at the Avon New York flea market. I got this DeWalt 18V saw for $20.00. The guy said it worked but that the batteries were shot. Well, I thought I'd gamble $20.00 but really figured I'd end up tossing it out. Dragged it home and put one of my new 18V batteries that came with my new drill and wolla, it works great :D

It should come in extremely handy for trimming off pieces of much larger panels so I don't have to carry an entire 4x8 sheet over to the table saw.

http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/37627/2029913940102651310S600x600Q85.jpg

bborr01
05-18-2010, 10:45 PM
YOD,

Nice score. I have the same saw that came in my 4 tools in 1 kit.

It'll rip through a 8 foot sheet of 3/4 inch plywood like nothing.

I recently bought a 18 volt right angle drill with 2 like new batteries. My batteries were about 5 years old and failing fast. I added the right angle drill for about the same price as two new 18 volt batteries.:)

Brian

lazlo
05-18-2010, 11:09 PM
"Some of you believe you can't ever have too many tools"

I'm a firm believer in that. :D

Nice score YOD!

Too_Many_Tools
05-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Too Many Tools?

NEVER!!!

;<)

Abner
05-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Too many tools?......
I don't understand how you would decide what is too many.

Besides having the right tool for every job, tools break and wear out, they can get lost, borrowed, buried under other tools - so you should have multiples of everything.

Given that the above statement is true then how do you determine what is "too many"

Perhaps when you have so many tools stacked on your shop floor that there is a danger from avalanche? Or maybe when your "gerbil trails" turn into a maze and you need maps with "you are here" on them.

Then ask yourself - Do I have too many tools or too small of shop?

Wirecutter
05-19-2010, 01:21 PM
I've had the very same saw for about 3 years. Contractors at my office left one behind without a battery. I picked up battery + charger on Fleabay for about $40. I think it's a great little saw. I even have an abrasive blade for cutting metal with it.

-M

airsmith282
05-19-2010, 06:47 PM
no such thing as to many tools , even now iam working on getting my self a 3rd drill press this one will be a table top model i been after for awhile i hope i can get it,

saltmine
05-19-2010, 07:59 PM
I ran out of tools to buy, so, now I'm making my own.

swordfish
05-21-2010, 09:50 PM
The one that dies with the most toys wins!!!

KIMFAB
05-21-2010, 11:34 PM
I got that same saw with a set.
Figured it was useless but with the price of the set it was free with a battery.
Boy was I wrong! That is the handiest saw I've used, it loves 2X4's and plywood.

gearedloco
05-22-2010, 02:04 AM
The one that dies with the most toys wins!!!

The man who dies with the most toys is still dead, but his kids get to have one heck of a garage sale!

-bill

Black_Moons
05-22-2010, 04:09 AM
Intresting, I allways thought those cordless saws would be horrabley underpowered considering how my circular saw dims the shop lights when it kicks in with a roar.

How many feet of 1/2" plywood or 2by do you think a battery would do?

Your Old Dog
05-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Intresting, I allways thought those cordless saws would be horrabley underpowered considering how my circular saw dims the shop lights when it kicks in with a roar.

Keep in mind the size of the small saw blade. I think mine is something like 5 inches so that saves a lot of power. I don't think this saw will replace my 7" Freud but it will make life easier for small projects like adding a shelf occasionally or cutting of a small chunk of plywood from a full sheet and then trimming it up on the table saw. I have a bear of a time wrestling a full sheet of 3/4" plywood.

KIMFAB
05-22-2010, 11:03 AM

The battery lasts about 20 minutes to 1/2 hr of heavy cutting and the recharger takes about 20 minutes to recharge.
You usually get at least 2 batteries with a set.
As with all batteries, however, they only last about 2 years.

andy_b
05-22-2010, 11:26 AM
The battery lasts about 20 minutes to 1/2 hr of heavy cutting and the recharger takes about 20 minutes to recharge.
You usually get at least 2 batteries with a set.
As with all batteries, however, they only last about 2 years.

Then I must have a defective one and crappy batteries because it would never make it through more than one 8' slice in a piece of 1/2" plywood. I hate the darn thing and only use it when a corded saw has no chance of fitting where I need or there is no other source of power.

andy b.

Your Old Dog
05-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Andy do you have a "clean" and "thin kerf" blade on yours? The one I bought has tar on the blade. They must have been cutting thru some roofing with it. Nothing will rob you of power like a blade full of pitch, that's worse then being dull.

Too_Many_Tools
05-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Too many tools?......
I don't understand how you would decide what is too many.

Besides having the right tool for every job, tools break and wear out, they can get lost, borrowed, buried under other tools - so you should have multiples of everything.

Given that the above statement is true then how do you determine what is "too many"

Perhaps when you have so many tools stacked on your shop floor that there is a danger from avalanche? Or maybe when your "gerbil trails" turn into a maze and you need maps with "you are here" on them.

Then ask yourself - Do I have too many tools or too small of shop?

Too small of a shop?

Duh...of course that is the answer!!!

I REALLY like that answer!!!

TMT

Ken_Shea
05-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Andy do you have a "clean" and "thin kerf" blade on yours? The one I bought has tar on the blade. They must have been cutting thru some roofing with it. Nothing will rob you of power like a blade full of pitch, that's worse then being dull.
Yep, that and be careful not to bind it or force shove it through the material.

They are very handy, I have a Porter Cable, looks different but still pretty much the same thing, you stole that for $20.
The Carbide tipped blades are $20.

BTW, stove cleaner makes for a good cheap pitch cleaner.

oldtiffie
05-22-2010, 10:55 PM
And so does mineral turpentine.

Ken_Shea
05-22-2010, 11:02 PM
And so does mineral turpentine.
May be but that wont burn the hell out of you when it gets in cuts and also doesn't make you sneeze :D

bruto
05-23-2010, 12:44 AM
I bought one of those four tool sets, a bit beat up but complete, for $40 last year. The drill needed a good bit of TLC, and the charger had a bad solder joint, but both batteries turned out to be good, and the circular saw, which I thought was probably the least useful of the four, has turned out to be really handy for little jobs that would be dangerous or inconvenient with a bigger corded saw.

Yard sale season is up and running, and today, I got one of these, barely used, for $40:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00925574000P

A bit hard to cut to a line, but I sliced off a couple of pieces of bicycle tubing to try it out, and it's pretty slick. A clean cut and no kickback.

yf
05-23-2010, 01:54 AM
You can have not enough space, too small a truck, not enough hands etc.
You can never have too many tools.
Just like you can never have too much money (especially if you like tools).