PDA

View Full Version : Locating Die Filer files...

Your Old Dog
05-18-2010, 01:09 PM
I've had my die filer for over a year now. In just the past few weeks someone came up on ebay selling a mess of them. He is/was selling them in lots of 10 per shape. I was able to score 10 pillar, 10 round and 10 triangle files all 1/4". They are Nicholson, 00 cut and in brand new unused pristine AND EXPENSIVE :d

I had to go $45 es better for each lot of 10 but having a die filer with nothing to feed it is kind of silly too !!

I managed to score a set of 12 various type files all new in 00 cut some time ago. I hope to use all these when making custom or hand made hunting knives, spears and battle axes :D

http://inlinethumb16.webshots.com/8335/2768225600102651310S600x600Q85.jpg

ZINOM
05-18-2010, 02:35 PM
I haven't bought any from them but Victor Machine has them...seem pretty reasonable too I think.

http://www.victornet.com/report/Files-Parallel-Machine/1302.html

John

Toolguy
05-18-2010, 02:41 PM
You may be well advised to review a book on modern warfare. Spears and Battle Axes aren't that popular lately.

Black_Moons
05-18-2010, 03:08 PM
I thought you could just modify standard needle files to fit into a die filer?
Maybe just keep the SFM down to below 40~ or so of course for the carbon steel but... (are proper die filers files any better then carbon steel anyway?)

One day, I wanna make a die filer... Not so much for regular files, But for the new diamond coated needle files that are all over the market for cheap, they do wonders when making weird HSS bits.

Your Old Dog
05-18-2010, 04:04 PM
I thought you could just modify standard needle files to fit into a die filer? .....................

I don't think there is any difference. Just that these fit with no messing around. I can swap one for another in seconds. The round file does look better to me then the conventional rat tails. It's also nice that these are parallel all the way up with no taper at all. For my needs that's a biggie. I also wanted 00 because these are for finesse work and not bull work.

Alistair Hosie
05-18-2010, 04:12 PM
I have a large floor standing italian die filing machine and I really think needle files would be very small for it compared to the regular files I have.Alistair

JCHannum
05-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Die filer files cut on the downstroke. A needle file has the handle on the wrong end to work and normal hand files are tapered so they will not work if reversed.

Straight hand files can be modified to work by adapting a handle to the opposite end so they will cut on the downstroke.

Victor is about the most economical source for new die filer files that I know of.

Your Old Dog
05-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Jim,
I was under the impression that no one was making new die filer files? I thought the Nickolsons I bought were new old stock? I have this sick feeling you're about to kick me in the gut? :D

aboard_epsilon
05-18-2010, 08:30 PM
mine takes any file ..just take the handle off and grind a bit off the end ..it also adjusts to any length...from 12 inches down to 5 inches .

all the best.mark

JCHannum
05-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Jim,
I was under the impression that no one was making new die filer files? I thought the Nickolsons I bought were new old stock? I have this sick feeling you're about to kick me in the gut? :D

No kick Ray. I do believe Nicholson and Grobet are no longer making die filer files, the last I saw were quite expensive. I suspect the Victor files are imports, and not the same quality as the Nicholsons.

Arthur.Marks
05-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Actually, Falcon carries new ones. I think they're $130+ per dozen, though ;) So no need for anyone to kick themselves!

http://www.falcontool.com/swiss_files.html
Look under "Swiss Parallel Machine Files" section in the .pdf

gwilson
05-18-2010, 11:11 PM
You can use any parallel file,chainsaw files for one. I have a lot of parallel die files,but am stingy about wearing them out. Therefore,I have used a 6" half round bastard file clamped tang upwards for much work. Best to grind the tang off. You may have to grind the end down a bit where it goes into the filer's chuck. I do for my butterfly. the front end of the half round file is tapered,but the part I use,that sticks up above the table,is parallel.

I make a lot of punches and dies,and do not consider the die filer as obsolete at all for my purposes. In fact,I have 4.

The best thing you can ever do is put a variable speed motor on one. (A half H.P. motor is plenty. Look into Surplus Sales catalog.) They all run way too fast even at the lowest speed. That wears out files quickly,plus,the high speed was always pinching my fingers as the workpiece would grab,going up,and slamming down. The women we employ were afraid to use the filer till I calmed it down to emulate hand filing speed.

The die filer makes beautifully filed edges and contours that look like they were ground. Perfectly square,or accurately angled edges are also very nice.

If you use diamond files,I strongly advise making the filer run MUCH slower,and using only VERY LIGHT pressure. You'll rip the diamonds right out if you don't. Then,too,you are getting everlasting diamond abrasive on your machine. I'm sticking with steel files.

gmatov
05-19-2010, 01:39 AM
I was under the impression that diamond files should not be used with ferrous material. Carbon transfer or somesuch.

I sold a number of them to a gentleman who needed some that I did not need. I was satisfied, and think he was, too.

Kinda wish I had more of them, not to sell for profit, but to get rid of the 50 or so pounds of files that I still have. Going to the dumpster when I kick the bucket.

Cheers,

George

Black_Moons
05-19-2010, 04:25 AM
as I understand it, diamond vs steel is only a problem at higher speeds where the contact point is much hotter.

Your Old Dog
05-19-2010, 06:34 AM
Actually, Falcon carries new ones. I think they're $130+ per dozen, though ;) So no need for anyone to kick themselves!

http://www.falcontool.com/swiss_files.html
Look under "Swiss Parallel Machine Files" section in the .pdf

Send me your address and I'll get you on my Christmas card lish :D Thanks, you made me feel better

Mark K
05-19-2010, 01:28 PM
I recently bought a double handful of the VictorNet machine files and they were all NOS Hellers, made in the US. Tickled with 'em.

I have all I need, go for it. :D

Mark

quasi
05-19-2010, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE=Mark K]I recently bought a double handful of the VictorNet machine files and they were all NOS Hellers, made in the US. Tickled with 'em.

I have all I need, go for it. :D

Mark[/QUOTE

I bought a bunch from Victor a couple of years ago for my Keller, they were mostly Oliver marked, and some Hellers. I imagine Oliver had theirs made by a file maker. These are the 8" files, not the shorter ones made to be used without an overarm.