PDA

View Full Version : poor old machines

thistle
11-04-2003, 09:11 PM
i have just had two old feral machines take up residence and demand cleaning feeding lodge and board and free electricity and so on.

the first is a Racine power hacksaw manufactured for the U.S. Navy on 7-14-43 .
It has "aero 'stamped on on the plate - which is resonable as they flew seaplanes ect out of here
- the contract number is - 2885-11413
class - utility
type - w3b
serial number c2280

needs a few parts- mainly bearings -

any one have a similar machine or know where i can find info ?

the second machine is a benchmaster milling machine-
well this is a machine that women would call-"cute"
but doesnot appear to have been used much- if at all - could it have been a kit ?
needs a few parts - looked at lathes .co.uk and got the exploded diagram , brochure ect .
it apparanly can be converted from verticle to horizontal milling .

does anybody have one , or have seen this beast?

firbikrhd1
11-04-2003, 10:13 PM
I too have a Racine hacksaw, about the same vintage. I haven't been able to locate any information at all. A few nice peopel from this site did send me some pictures of their Racine saws that are similar to mine. I would be happy to e mail those to you if it helps. I would also like to see pictures of yours if possible. My saw is missing the racheting parts and automatic lift parts. The bearings are also loose, but I plan to bore them, and replace with either cast iron bushings or bronze.

BFHAMR
11-04-2003, 10:35 PM
I might have some Racine stuff at work I'll check tomorrow.

Dan

G.A. Ewen
11-04-2003, 11:31 PM
firbikrhd1,
Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0603/GAEWEN/872d1759.jpg

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0603/GAEWEN/78f7460d.jpg

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0603/GAEWEN/656db36c.jpg

Oso
11-05-2003, 12:15 AM
http://www.lathes.co.uk/benchmaster/index.html

That should do for the Benchmaster info if nobody took the hint. Do I take it that yours has the vertical head?

They as you will see in the link, were not a kit, but a product.

The kit one you might be thinking about is Lewis. They had a shaper kit, and I think they had a mill kit also. I think I saw a reference to them somewhere, with a horizontal mill kit.

Seems odd, as I regard a horizontal mill and a shaper as being for the same sort of jobs in general. You would have thought they would do a vertical mill, which would have added more capability to their line.

[This message has been edited by Oso (edited 11-04-2003).]

firbikrhd1
11-05-2003, 08:35 AM
G.A.Ewen,
Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you for the pictures. I have some similar, but yours help a great deal. I need to somehow make one of the arms and both pawls (I guess that's the right term). I think the larger part with teeth on the "internal" radius that I already have will work. Now, if I could find someone with those parts for sale I think I might just buy instead of make them. Any suggestions where I might find those items?

JCHannum
11-05-2003, 08:46 AM
I had a Benchmaster Vertical mill, and Rudy Kouhoupt has one.
They are an excellent little machine. Cast iron and steel construction, not a toy like most of the mini mills. Only drawback is the lack of downfeed on the spindle.

G.A. Ewen
11-05-2003, 09:47 AM
firbikrhd1,
You can have the parts that you need for the cost of the shipping. It is unlikly that I will ever need them as my Racine is in good shape.
Let me know what parts you want and your mailing address. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

thistle
11-05-2003, 01:39 PM
i thought the bench master was a kit because the parts were all greased and wrapped up and there were a few unmachined pieces- which i am guessing were for another kit - i have to lay all the bits out on the floor and sort them then give all the greasy bits a boil in a barrel with some tsp .

there is just the verticle head - not the horizontal head.
should not be too difficult to make one though.

the racine hacksaw is in pieces now,but there is another around here and the owner is willing to dissasemble it to find out how it works .
it looks like a one armed iron crab at work-with lots of wizzing clcking and farting sounds .

i will take pictures when i get the chance.

[This message has been edited by thistle (edited 11-05-2003).]

Al Messer
11-05-2003, 02:05 PM
J.C., the Benchmaster does have a micrometer vertical adjustment on the table does it not?

Al

JCHannum
11-05-2003, 03:10 PM
Al; It has a regular knee with a calibrated, resettable dial just like other milling machines. Not exactly micrometer adjustment, but accurate for most purposes. All in all, it is a very good little machine.

thistle
11-05-2003, 07:07 PM
i deposited the little benchmaster into the barrel and boiled away - all the grease and paint came off -revealing that some idiot had drilled a line of holes -sort of broadside style-across the table ,then presumably heaved the thing against the wall , as a bit of bronze brazing hidden by the paint and crud revealed .
so its been through the wars . but what a seriuosly heavy little machine.

the racine is in far better shape abuse wise , it appears to be sailor proof-although the hydraulic down feed is going to be fun.

abn
11-05-2003, 11:24 PM
Sent you an e-mail with a Racine manual...I don't know if it is for your model but hopefully it helps.

Edit#1: Sent an unsolicited Racine manual to you too firbikrhd1

[This message has been edited by abn (edited 11-05-2003).]

Al Messer
11-05-2003, 11:29 PM
Do Benchmaster Mills show up on the used market very often?

Al Messer, the mill-less one

Rich Carlstedt
11-05-2003, 11:46 PM
Al
I looked for 13 years before I found one, but by then I had a Bridgeport.
I looked because when I told a shop foreman friend that I was starting a home machine shop, and he said get a benchmaster Vertical...perfect for a small shop.
only seen 2 in real life in the past 38 years
What do they say about "Hens Teeth"?

Al Messer
11-06-2003, 09:09 AM
Pretty scarce then----but, I'd settle for a good used Clausing 8520---if I could afford one!!

thistle
11-06-2003, 06:22 PM
thanks for the racine email-

the one i have is 6x6 inch capacity -do you think it is possible to look up the manual for it from the us navy ?

the mill is quite impressive for its simplicityand weight -might be able to get the thing painted and together on the weekend - though not servicable - probably need new bearings -
did not know it was such a rare bird.

pretty good for a take it away if you can use it job.

firbikrhd1
11-07-2003, 10:48 AM
G.A. Ewen,
Thank you for your generous offer. I have e mailed you my address so I can get shipping arrangements made. Thank you again! It will be nice to be able to save this old machine adn get it up and running again.
abn,
Thank you for the file you sent me. That is the first Racine information I have been able to lay my hands on. Although the machine in that file is larger and somewhat different than mine, those drawings will help as will the other included information. If I may ask, where did you come across that information> Perhaps that source could supply other Racine info.
This is a great site! Nice to find people these days still willing to assist others.

thistle
11-07-2003, 02:58 PM
here are the pictures of the racine power hacksaws identical twin.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mudskipper/racine%20%20power%20hacksaw/

my one is in pieces now .

firbikrhd1
11-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Speaking of Old Machines, while surfing the web looking for a Bridgeport Head I found the following site. Nice restored old machines here!
http://www.coolweldstudios.com/page4.htm

abn
11-08-2003, 04:24 AM
I got the manuals from the US Army online database...That was the only Racine info. I could find. But I spent a night searching when I first found out about it, and there is a lot of good info. for a variety of machinery and support equipment like forklifts. I forgot the details of everything I did, but you can do a text search in "TM Title Text" but note that similar equipment is grouped by similar TM number. So on my initial search I did a search for "Lathe" to find my South Bend manual. Then I went through the TM numbers sequentially and found some other nice equpipment manuals. You need 128 bit encryption to access (any late IE or Opera will do, but I had problems w/ Netscape IIRC). Here's the link, it's worth the time to figure it out.

http://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/find_etm.cfm

thistle
11-09-2003, 07:21 AM
-just answered my own question-casto racine has aweb site so will see if they reply and can help.

[This message has been edited by thistle (edited 11-09-2003).]

thistle
11-09-2003, 04:32 PM
here is a picture of the benchmaster mill.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mudskipper/benchmaster%20mill/732d7001.jpg

i had it apart, cleaned , painted ,and have reassembled to find out where else i have to paint and what is missing .

looks good so far. need to get the spindle bearings out ,and get the table ground on monday.

JCHannum
11-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Cute as a button. Looks pretty complete. They only had the one hand wheel for X motion on right side. It is missing the belt guard that made it look like Marvin The Martian.

G.A. Ewen
11-09-2003, 07:38 PM
Nice looking machine. To give an idea of the size could you give the table dimentions?

thistle
11-09-2003, 11:20 PM
i do have the belt guard ,it is just getting painted .
hopefully it will appear in a future picture
the handles and a few other bits are not on as they are getting cleaned up and pained as well
hopefully it will appear in a future picture

the table size is about 6 inches by 18.

[This message has been edited by thistle (edited 11-09-2003).]

BFHAMR
11-10-2003, 09:48 AM
Sorry so late in replying. I found a repair parts list for a Racine Utility wet cut (3speed) saw, series no. W-3B. Dated November 10, 1943. I also found a sheet on operating and service. Let me know if you are still interested.

Dan

firbikrhd1
11-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Dan,
My Racine saw is a WW II version, but I have no idea what model since it isn't on the machhine anywhere. I would be interested in seeing what you have. Please e mail it to me through the forum.
Thanks,
Steve

thistle
11-10-2003, 05:25 PM
bfhamr i would really like to see the information you have on the racine.
any chance you could scan it and email it ?

BFHAMR
11-10-2003, 06:02 PM
I'll try, don't know if my scanner works. I haven't used it in a few years.

Dan

BFHAMR
11-11-2003, 11:44 PM
thistle and firbikrhd1,

I haven't been able to make the $#%^ing scanner work, either I can mail or fax the info.

Dan

[This message has been edited by BFHAMR (edited 11-11-2003).]

firbikrhd1
11-13-2003, 10:58 AM
Dan,
If you'll provide an address and postage costs I'll send you a self addressed envelope and postage to cover the mailing costs of the information. Thank you for your efforts. I really appreciate getting the information. You can e mail me the address from the icon included at the top of this post.
Thanks,
Steve

[This message has been edited by firbikrhd1 (edited 11-13-2003).]

thistle
11-13-2003, 11:18 AM
like wise ,my email is above as well.

i have alot of work to get the hack saw going a lot of sandblasting electrolysis ect and fabricating parts , but have made good progress with the benchmaster.

i actually located a base for an elliot 10 inch shaper (which must have tipped over and smashed its brains out )
this base is welded up from 1/4 inch steel.
i cleaned it up painted it and plonked the little mill on top.
currently getting the spindle bearings out - but it looks like the pulley is shot- made of zinc and crumbled ,spindle looks allright.
only other problem is with the dials they are zinc or white metal as well and badly corroded.