PDA

View Full Version : stuck chuck

12teethperinch
05-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Hi fellas
I was drilling a big hole tonight with a hole saw on my drill press, the hole saw kept stalling, I thought the belts were slipping but found that the Jacobs taper was spinning in the chuck body. When I first got the drill press the chuck wasn't seated well and fell off doing something similar but this time I cant get it off I think a bur must have been raised and cut a groove in the mating part locking them together. I have tried wedging them apart and i also made up a slide hammer and put it in the chuck but as tight as i could get it it still slid out when I was pounding. Anybody got a good idea on what i might try.
Darrell

torker
05-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Don't bother...you now have a round column mill drill! The chuck won't fall out... Congrats! :D

Ken_Shea
05-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Darrell,
Can you make a wedge to go between the chuck body and the space between spindle?

Torker, your on fire tonight :D

Tony Ennis
05-21-2010, 12:53 AM
Weld a big ole snipe on it and yank it out.

Love,
Torker

Willy
05-21-2010, 01:22 AM
Have a look down inside of of the chuck.
Sometimes you get lucky and end up with a chuck where you can see the end of chuck arbor. If you're that lucky I'm sure I won't have to tell you what to do next.

Astronowanabe
05-21-2010, 02:34 AM
drill a hole inside the chuck (through to the taper cavity)
put a spacer in and press the taper off.

12teethperinch
05-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Well I got it off, I decided to remove the quill because I thought that once I got the chuck off I was going to need to remachine the taper anyway. Once I figured how to remove the quill it came out easily, I then clamped it in the vice with some soft jaws and knocked the chuck off. Both the chuck and the taper were damaged. I found a Morse taper with the right taper, put it between centers and used a dial indicator to set the cross slide over. Once I had it set I chucked up the quill. I thought I had plenty of meat to clean up the taper but once I had it cleaned up enough with a finish I was happy with and tried it on the quill I found I had gone just a little too far. I thought about building it up with some weld but since I didn’t really know what kind of steel the shaft was I decided to machine it down to the next size taper which I happened to have a keyless chuck for. I set up another Morse taper with the smaller Jacobs taper and thankfully found them to be the same, at least over the 5/8 of an inch or so I was measuring. I set up the quill again and turned down to the smaller taper. I put everything back together measured the run out on the drill press and found it to be about 2 thou which I thought was pretty good. Thanks to those of you who offered suggestions. I will try to post some photos.
Darrell
Huh. Funny the posting rules thingy at the bottom of the page says I cant post attachments. Anybody know how to fix that?
Darrell

Willy
05-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Glad to see you have it sorted out Darrel.

As for posting photos look at the top of the page on the general forum and have a look at the sticky thread about posting pictures. It's also a good place to practice your new found photo posting skills.:D

Looking forward to the pics, we all like pictures here! LOL