PDA

View Full Version : best technique for getting a lathe up a flight of stairs?

ace
05-23-2010, 02:39 PM
I would like to hear some opinions on what would be the best way to get a 450 lb lathe up a flight of stairs.

I know I can very easily remove the tailstock, carriage and chuck to reduce some weight.

How should the lathe be positioned? Where would be the best places to tie straps around it?

I'm sure someone on here has done this before and perhaps with an even heavier item, so any advice is welcomed.

Jack F
05-23-2010, 02:54 PM
If in a shop and you can nail some 2X4s to the stairs do just that. Nail Two continuos runs of 2X4s on the stairs and use pipes to roll it up the stairs. If you need to, bolt the lathe to a sheet of plywood. If you are by yourself, use a come along to pull it up the stairs.

Jack.

dp
05-23-2010, 03:15 PM
It's probably the one time that square wheels on a dolly come in handy.

Middle of page:
http://www.theforgottentechnology.com/newpage3

Dr Stan
05-23-2010, 03:44 PM
This way be a good time to rent an appliance dolly if the bed length is not too long. Place the lathe on the dolly with the headstock down and strap in on with several very good ratchet straps. Can you remove the legs and/or cabinet?

kjbllc
05-23-2010, 03:52 PM
I agree with the ramp idea and a come a long.

Tony Ennis
05-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Remove everything you can, then get 3 pals and carry it up the steps.

Duffy
05-23-2010, 04:40 PM
I second Tony's idea. It is amazing how many flights of stairs have no SAFE anchor point for a comealong. Remove the tailstock, carriage and motor for separate trips. If all that is left is the bed-headstock unit, install parallel 2x4s in the middle of the stairs, (so there is somewhere to step either side.) Station one body at the top with a rope around the headstock to pull, and two bodies, either side of the 2x4s to push, and nobody should even break into a sweat.

Dr Stan
05-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Remove everything you can, then get 3 pals and carry it up the steps.

don't forget the case of beer. :D

darryl
05-23-2010, 05:08 PM
My lathe weighs in at something under 300 lbs so it no heavyweight, but when I needed to get it into the basement, I screwed it onto a piece of plywood, then lowered it down a pair of 2x4s laying on the stairs. I used both a block and tackle, and my van. Roped it up at the top of the stairs, then with just a little slack in the rope I hefted it onto the 2x4s and let it slide down to get it started. I then put another 2x4 across the doorway as an anchor for the block and tackle, then lowered it with that. I had to reposition the rope once because the b+t would only go 7 ft with the 50 ft of rope it has. It was simply logisitics- work smart, not hard, and be safe.

The mill is just under 500 lbs, and I lowered it into the basement the same way. I did remove some parts to lighten it and prevent possible damage to some parts beforehand.

When I go to remove the machines, I'll just do the reverse of that process. I'm lucky that my garage is inline with those stairs, so I can 'straight line' a rope in while the vehicle remains out on the driveway. Bringing the machines up the stairs will be done by tensioning the rope, then winching with the block and tackle, then retensioning the rope to hold while repositioning the b+t. I used a piece of sheet metal at the top stair for the rope to go over so it wouldn't damage the carpet or the rope itself.

Inside the basement, I used some steel tubing segments as rollers to get the mill into position, then hoisted it up onto its stand. The lathe was another story. From the floor I dead-lifted it up onto the bench- which maybe I could still do, but shouldn't have in the first place. At work we have an appliance lift, which would have been perfect to get these heavy things moved around, etc. Something like that is going on my project list soon.