PDA

View Full Version : OT Vacuum Sealer Things

rws
05-23-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm thinking of getting a vacuum sealer machine, to seal meat and veggies. I hear it helps reduce freezer burn. I need to freeze whole chickens, which can be quartered if it's easier to do. Plus we put up a bunch of veggies, both canned and frozen.

So are they worth it? Any recommendations?

davidh
05-23-2010, 10:02 PM
we use ours for many items that need freezing. home made french fries come to mind, corn on the cob, apples for pies, along with other garden things that would not do well otherwise. i love ours.

cebump
05-23-2010, 10:34 PM
I cannot give it high enough praise. I use mine to freeze seafood and it seems fresh after a year no problem. I found some in the freezer a while back that was over 2 years old and it tasted fine, not quite fresh but better than the average restaurant fish. The only thing I will say is buy the best one you can because I wear them out every 2-3 years at 150-200 a pop. My next one will be a commercial type model at 700-1000.00

J Tiers
05-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Does it really reduce freezer burn? I would have thought it might even make it worse, by encouraging evaporation due to the vacuum.

We always end up freezing garden produce, since we tend to get a lot more than we can use all at once. Inevitably the older stuff has those ice crystals all over it.......

andy_b
05-23-2010, 10:50 PM
we use ours for many items that need freezing. home made french fries come to mind, corn on the cob, apples for pies, along with other garden things that would not do well otherwise. i love ours.

How do you freeze the corn on the cob? With the husk on or off. I am assuming it is uncooked? Also, what brand vacuum sealer do you have?

andy b.

Dan Dubeau
05-23-2010, 11:04 PM
We love ours. 2 people who like to cook produces meals in multi day portions. Vacuum sealer breaks these down into smaller portions for lunches, or "frozen dinners". Haven't used it in a while though as the last time I did, I had trouble sealing. This was our second, both food savers but different models and we bought it refurbished, after the first one lasted about a month before the plastic drip tray was put in the lower rack of the dishwasher.... I've kept both, cause, well, I don't know. The vacuum still works on both, and I might eventually repurpose them for something. The melted drip tray is still in my car, cause I said I'd take it to work and make one out of stainless.....

duckman
05-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Andy_B the corn is husked then blanched for about 30 seconds, then put 2 or 3 in the bag toss in a big pat of butter then just suck and seal use up within a year, remove from freezer toss in pot of boiling water. For what its worth get the unit that you can short seal with, some things should not get a full suck. You don't have to get the expensive stuff, the only caveat is don't get a hole in the bag you break the vacuum you get freezer burn. :D

Dragons_fire
05-23-2010, 11:39 PM
some of the cheap ones just have a motor with a blower on it, they dont really suck much air... so be careful and make sure its a good one with a real pump in it before you buy...

tmc_31
05-24-2010, 12:41 AM
RWS,

We have had a "Food Saver" brand vacuum bagging system for about 2 years that we bought from Sam's Club (Walmarts version of a Costco). It seems to still be working fine with use several times a week. We buy meats in bulk (hamburger, rib-eyes and chicken legs and thighs. When we get it home we divide it up into meal size portions, vacuum bag it and freeze it. We also use the sealer to reseal open bags of chips and such.

One other use I have found for this system is storing welding rods after the container has been opened. While I haven't had the need to try this yet, I think small metal parts could be vacuum bagged to prevent corrosion before final assembly and corrosion treatment.

Tim

jmm360
05-24-2010, 12:55 AM
I use mine all the time. Really a must have if you hunt and fish, but also great for everyday kitchen use, I like to cook big batches of lunches and seal up and freeze, very convenient. I have a big shepherd's pie cooling down to bag up right now.

A couple hints: if you make your bags from the rolls, you can cut them overlength and reuse them, losing about 1.5" for the new seal each time. Food Saver also sells plastic canisters that seal from the accessory hose for about $7-$12 depending on size, those are very handy for short term storage.
They pull enough vacuum you could never hope to open the lid without releasing it.

They do great at preventing freezer burn, it's not that deep of a vacuum where you'd worry about all boiling the moisture out, the pump only runs less than a minute.

rws
05-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks everyone.
That seals the deal (bad pun I know....) I'll get one! Asking these questions you get more ideas than just for freezing purposes.

lakeside53
05-24-2010, 12:39 PM
How would my Bosch shop vac do? It's supposed to life 99 inches of water?

vincemulhollon
05-24-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm thinking of getting a vacuum sealer machine ... So are they worth it?

Genuine Food-Saver brand works well, at least for several years.

You need to figure the economics of what you're sealing. Full pieces of meat are economical. Leftover veggies, perhaps not. Its possible to save 10 cents of rice in a 50 cent bag.

Another use is camping/emergency supplies. The bags are quite tough, much tougher than the average cloth bag 1st aid kit. Other camping uses revolve around the concept of airtight = watertight.

Engineering and manufacturing your own "boil in the bag" entrees is kind of fun, at least for awhile.