PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Mill Light

HAP
05-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Had this old halogen flood light sitting around for years waiting on a new purpose. I noticed that I had a void between the mill head and the verticle support which would accomodate the light perfectly. Made a quick bracket and I now have a third light for the table. This single light alone is a huge improvement over any light I have used so far. What a diference!!
I wish I knew how to add a picture direct istead of using the link...
HAP
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/HAPSHOP/DSCN4663.jpg
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/HAPSHOP/DSCN4662.jpg
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/HAPSHOP/DSCN4664.jpg

John Stevenson
05-23-2010, 07:26 PM
That's always struck me as the best place to fit one on a Bridgy, that space is never used.

I can't see the sense in fitting those ring lights round the quill, I for one am always running out of room between the quill and work or dividing head.

Nice job.

oldtiffie
05-23-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't like lights that cause a reflection to bounce directly into my eyes as it causes my eyes to dilate and takes too much time to re-adjust to see anywhere or anything else. I prefer the light to be either to the side of me or behind me.

TheAndroid
05-24-2010, 06:43 AM
How much heat does a halogen throw off? I think that would cook me! Especially in the "not Winter" season here in Texas.

Evan
05-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Halogen lamps are much too hot running for me. They heat the work, the machine and the lamp housing will burn you.

To make your links into images in the post enter them like this:

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/HAPSHOP/DSCN4663.jpg

If you edit your post to include the and tags at the start and end of each link the images will automagically appear. Do not include any spaces between the start and end tags.

MichaelP
05-24-2010, 09:34 AM
...a reflection to bounce directly into my eyes as it causes my eyes to dilate... Actually, pupils of your eys constrict when light increases, but it doesn't matter. :)

oldtiffie
05-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Oops.

Thanks Michael.

I sure hope you are right - and I am sure that you are - 'cos otherwise I've got another big problem that I could well do without.

It was careless of me - thanks for picking me up on it.

HAP
05-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Evan,
thanks for the tip on posting images. Much appreciated.
HAP

Evan
05-24-2010, 09:54 PM
You are welcome. BTW, the reason it didn't show an image when I posted it is because I used a special tag to prevent the BBS software from seeing the img tags. It is the [noparse] tag. I had to use the noparse tag to show you the noparse tag. Ouroboros lives...

Jim Shaper
05-30-2010, 08:10 PM
So how do you propose to produce 2300 lumens using LED's?

I'd love to make a ring light for my spindle, but I'm not happy with the output of any rig I've seen using them.

Right now I use 150w halogen work lights that cost about 10 bucks, but they do get rather hot.

danlb
05-31-2010, 01:44 AM
So how do you propose to produce 2300 lumens using LED's?

I'd love to make a ring light for my spindle, but I'm not happy with the output of any rig I've seen using them.

Right now I use 150w halogen work lights that cost about 10 bucks, but they do get rather hot.

Wow. 2300 lumens is about the same light output as TWO car high-beams.

But using LEDs, I'd use 3 SSC P7 leds. To scale them back to 2300 lumens they would be slightly under-driven and together would use about 30 watts. You could also use about 15 Luxeons or several other combinations.

Personally, I don't need quite that much light only 2 feet from the work piece.

Dan

Jim Shaper
05-31-2010, 02:17 AM
In the single site I read about the P7's, they state they need a proper heat sink. What would that entail? Are the smaller ones you mentioned more self-preserving? I don't know squat about LED's aside from the few threads I've read around here.

What I'd love to do, is make a combination light/coolant/air ring that slipped around the spindle on my vmc. The excessive light output is needed to overcome indirect aiming and coolant interference. I may still end up with another light source, but that's 'cause I like operating room illumination when I work.

I don't really need 150w halogens, but they're nice and bright rather than leaving me wanting (like every other machine light I've ever used). If I'm going to make something with 3 different chambers in it, I don't want to plug it in and go "damn, I can't see good enough." :) With the halogens, I'm only fighting their thermal output about 4 months out of the year, and I have AC in the shop.