PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley Tool Holder

Carld
05-24-2010, 08:54 AM
A few weeks ago I received my Winberley Tool Holder. After I read the instructions I started making some cuts. It does everything he claims and will be very handy for those that use HSS cutters. His simplified method of using a drill bit to get the cutter tip on center line of the work is very handy and easy to do. Sharpening the cutter is easy especially with a good tool grinder.

Much of what most of us do is turning the OD and face work so this holder is good for that without having to change tooling. When I am making a shaft with a shoulder I will rough it in with standard tooling and then use this holder to finish the OD and the shoulder face in one or two finish passes.

The surface finish you get is determined by the sharpness of the cutter and the radius of the tip and the speed and feed you use keeping in mind the cutter is HSS Cobalt. If you use to high of rpm and/or feed your surface finish will not be good and the tool will wear to fast.

In the photo you can see the surface finish compared to the finish with a shear cutting tool. The shear cutting finish is on the right end and the Wimberley cutter finish is on the left end of the work. I was able to machine very close to the chuck jaws without worry of anything but the cutter hitting and that was nice. The shear cutter leaves a near ground surface so I thought that would be good to compare the Wimberley cutter to. I ran the Wimberley at 490 rpm @ .004” feed and the shear tool at 120 rpm @ .001” feed. The piece was about 2” dia.

While I seldom use HSS cutters anymore I intend on using this holder on future jobs and projects and found it very useful.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/yeathatshim/P5210001.jpg

johnac01
05-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Does anyone have ordering information that could be posted for this product?Thanks

Carld
05-25-2010, 11:59 PM
I will contact David to find out if it's ok to give his email or if he has a web site to visit. He is just starting production of them now.

Lew Hartswick
05-26-2010, 12:14 AM
What does it look like?
...lew...

MTNGUN
05-26-2010, 01:09 AM
What does it look like?
I too, am curious to see what the tool looks like, if the maker doesn't mind.

Excellent information, Carld. Thanks for sharing.

dwimberley
05-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Greetings to those who may be interested in the Wimberley toolholder.

My article appeared in the May/June issue of the Home Shop Machinist magazine. There is contact information in the article.

You can also send information to me through the group.

I have just determined that the feedback from my beta testers has been sufficiently positive for me to move forward with a second production run, but I'm sure it will be at least a couple of months before I have any to sell.

By the way, Carl's feedback was invaluable in developing a new positive-lead-angle tool bit geometry that enables you to turn, face, and chamfer in one orientation. This geometry includes two noses on the tool bit.

Thanks for your interest in the toolholder.

David Wimberley

LES A W HARRIS
05-26-2010, 09:30 PM
What does it look like?
...lew...
Begining of the month; may 2nd?
I posted a pic. poster #13.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=41229

Carld,
Thanks for keeping us updated.

Cheers, Les.

lakeside53
05-26-2010, 11:17 PM
I must be missing something. What is it about this tool holder that can't be done with a HSS bit in a QC tool holder angled appropriately?

radish1us
05-26-2010, 11:43 PM
I must be missing something. What is it about this tool holder that can't be done with a HSS bit in a QC tool holder angled appropriately?

Nothing really, it's just another persons idea to gouge some coin from any pocket they can.

Now if you are going to sharpen the T/S so that it works in this holder, why bother buying the holder, just sharpen the toolsteel correctly in the first place.

Mark K
05-27-2010, 02:48 PM
A moment's inspection of these threads or the HSM article will reveal that the purpose of the tool holder is to relieve one of the necessity to angle grind the top, raked surface of the tool. This has been done by angling the bit so that one side becomes this top surface. Other advantages also accrue.

Even in modern America, the market can still work. When the black hat who has forced you to buy this puts his gun down, thwack him with the holder and sell the gun. You'll come out ahead.

Mark

radish1us
05-27-2010, 04:19 PM
But hang on a minute, if your going to sharpen that bit of toolsteel anyway, so WHY bother buying this extra piece of stuff ?

So it's designed to save you grinding the top rake, whoopee, doesn't say much for the thought process, waste of time and materials that went into making it, now does it ?

All this extra waste, just to save somebody from grinding this little bit of toolsteel on the top, please, I did not come down in the last shower.

C'mon now, where "your" common sence ?

dian
05-27-2010, 05:27 PM
guess what that is.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae218/romandian/mkbohrer009-1.jpg

Carld
05-27-2010, 11:09 PM
What David didn't like about the Diamond shaped tool is the sides get worn and you have to take a lot of the top of the tool to clean up the sides and it was wasting a lot of his cutter. For that reason he decided it would be easier if the cutter was held with back rake built into the holder and just grind the cutter with side reliefs to match the angles designed into his holder.

I was skeptical about it doing what he was wanting to do and he made some changes to the angles of the cutter so now there are two different tool shapes. He sent me a proto type of the holder and I have experimented with it and it does what he claims which is turn the OD and face the end of work without changing tooling or the angle of the tool post. For me that is a plus and I was going to make a holder somewhat like his but without the back rake.

Now having used the holder to turn several parts and face them I have found it to be a worth while tool. I set my QC tool post square to the axis of the lathe and seldom move it. All of my holders are set up with cutters for that method. The only thing that was a problem is turning the OD and faceing a shoulder in one pass. The Wimberley holder solved that problem.

It also solved another problem, acceptable surface finish. The surface finish in the photo is with the Wimberley holder and HSS @ 300 rpm @ .003" feed on 1045. I did all the roughing with carbide insert tools and finished the OD and shoulder face with the Wimberley and HSS cutter. I'll probably grind a HSS Cobalt cutter for future use. I think the combination of the HSS and the back rake produced an almost file finish. In fact when I filed it to clean up the last .0005" it looked no different than before filing.

The only thing David wanted from me is the truth about his holder and this is the truth about what it did for me.

This is the Wimberley holder

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/yeathatshim/P5270003.jpg

This is the part with the OD and shoulder face done.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/yeathatshim/P5270001.jpg

Boucher
05-27-2010, 11:49 PM
The Tangential tool holder and grinding jig that are advertised in our Host's magazines have been tweaking my interest for some time. I can grind just about any tool shape that I need. I have even posted photos of some of my grinding jigs. I also freehand grind a fair percentage of tools that I make. Different characteristics appeal to different people and although the tangential tool holder has appealed to my laziness in that it is a very simple grind and easy to touch up. It is not as user friendly when it comes to reinstalling it after sharpening. I have not got around to buying one. I may still do so just to satisfy my curiosity

People that make significant improvements in common ever day tools and the kind of thinking that produces a better mouse trap has always interested me. The magazine article presented a good look into the development process that Mr. Wimberley used. I think this tool makes a significant improvement in:
1. Ease of grind
2. Simple re-installation
3. Functional Versatility

In fact the tool produced is just another configuration of the HSS tool bit. Are these improvements worth the cost? I think they are to me. They may not be to everyone. I hope that this becomes a monetary success because Mr. Wimberley has invested a lot of effort in it. I have more money invested in one tool chest drawer of indexable inserts than I do in my lathe. In spite of this I continue to use many HSS tool bits. I even purchase some commercially ground configurations that are easier to buy than make.

Grinding the top of the tool and a effective chip breaker are for me a work in progress.

I feel compelled to comment on the statement that this is: Just another person’s idea to gouge some coin from any pocket they can.
I think that comment is inappropriate and is just a cheap shot. If you do not want to buy it no one is compelling you to.

Maurice Greeson
03-07-2011, 02:08 PM
I just ordered the Wimberley Tool Holder! Here is the message I received:"Ultimately we will have a small range of products for sale, but now all we have is the toolholder kit, TH-500. The kit includes the toolholder, a tool bit, sharpened on each end, and a long 2 mm hex key. The toolholder comes with the 45° positive lead tip geometry installed and ready to use. The -5° lead tip geometry is on the opposite end of the tool bit which can be reversed. The price for the kit is $59. If you are interested in the toolholder, please call our customer service number, 540-665-2744."
After I get mine I will post some comments. I will be using it with my Myford Super 7, which has a 7" swing. Oh Boy!

Elninio
03-07-2011, 05:04 PM
I like that you can put a grinding stone in the chuck and grind it while on the lathe, as compared to the diamond 'tangent' style holder. Anyone who wants a 'preview' can just adapt a fly-cutter ... You can sharpen it on the lathe because you rotate the shank of the 'fly cutter' to two positions; the grinding position and the cutting position. The difference will be about 10 degrees, whatever the relief angle on it is. Have the tail notched at the back to make this angle changing very easy. Only problem is, compared to the diamond tool holder. You have to add the radius on the tooltip everytime you grind. On the diamond toolholder you add the radius only once.
EDIT: Forgot about top rake, thats another angle you have to grind. My idea wouldn't work.