PDA

View Full Version : Standard Modern 1340

J Richardson
05-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi,

I'll be moving into a new home where I finally have some garage space, and I'm hoping to have my shop set up sometime this fall. I'm pretty well equipped, but in order to come up with the down payment, I sold my 4901 Clausing. I still have a very well equipped 111 Clausing that is immaculate, but after having done a small turning job on it a few months back, it doesn't seem to be close to the machine that the 4901 was, even though it is in much better shape. Which brings me to my question: Look for a tooled 5900 or up Clausing, as I had planned, or explore other options? I've been looking hard at the Standard Modern line, as they seem to go for less than the Clausings, even tooled up. How do they compare? Thoughts appreciated.

John

Dr Stan
05-25-2010, 09:52 AM
The Standard Moderns I ran in industry were very good machines. Given your location I recommend you go to the factory and see how they are made. You may even save some $ by picking it up at the factory. Certainly would not hurt to ask.

rode2rouen
05-25-2010, 10:09 AM
My experience with Standard Modern is limited to the machine we had in the shop of the off-shore drilling rig I worked on during the early '80s. I don't remember the actual model, but it was likely in the 16 X 96 area.

If their 13 X 40 is made to the same "standard", it should be a very decent machine.

Rex

Duffy
05-25-2010, 10:11 AM
I phoned Standard Modern about two weeks ago, just to find out cost. A 1340 is $15.500.00 Cdn. It seems like a lot when compared to most imports, but I think that, by and large, you get what you pay for. They confirmed that the unit IS entirely manufactured in Canada; parts in Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec. I think that model weighs in at close to a ton. I have an old, (1965,) 10" Utilathe, which actually swings 11" and weighs 1200 lbs. It is a good solid machine, in spite of having many miles on it.

Dr Stan
05-25-2010, 12:56 PM
I phoned Standard Modern about two weeks ago, just to find out cost. A 1340 is $15.500.00 Cdn. It seems like a lot when compared to most imports, but I think that, by and large, you get what you pay for. They confirmed that the unit IS entirely manufactured in Canada; parts in Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec. I think that model weighs in at close to a ton. I have an old, (1965,) 10" Utilathe, which actually swings 11" and weighs 1200 lbs. It is a good solid machine, in spite of having many miles on it.

Comparing a Std Modern to a Chinese lathe would be akin to comparing top of the line Ethan Allen furniture to the knock down particle board stuff from Wal Mart. Yes they both make tables, but . . .

3t-
05-25-2010, 01:32 PM
edit-

started a new thread

Tony Ennis
05-25-2010, 01:37 PM
3t, I recommend a new thread. ;)

quasi
05-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Standard Modern makes two different 13" lathes, a 13-34 and a 13-40. The 13-40 is a much heavier machine.

Mcgyver
05-25-2010, 08:13 PM
The current standard modern may be a very fine lathe, may even be better than the old ones, I've not used or inspected them.

But, buyers should be aware that the company was non existent for a long period of time, a decade wouldn't surprise me. I can't see how it would be the same people culture etc and I don't think they're the same designs.....if you just relying on the anecdotes of those of us with the old ones the new might as well be from a different company.

I don't mean this to slight at all; maybe they're better than the old. If they are all made here (cast here? - that would be interesting to know) that makes them the only NA lathe maker I think which in itself is something, but don't rely on legacy reputation because i think all that's shared is the name.

gnm109
05-25-2010, 09:04 PM
I would like the idea of that lathe being entirely manufctured in Canada instead of PRC or even Taiwan.

One thing to look for would be iron castings that are founded using the Meehanite process. They are used on many of the American machines and also some of the top Taiwanese units.

My Webb 4VH mill was built with Meehanite and after doing some minor drilling to tap screws to mount a DRO, I can tell you that Meehanite is some nice material.

If I were going to look for a new heavy 14" lathe nowadays, I would probably look to spend in the $15K to 20K range to get a good one.

http://www.meehanitemetal.com/htmlpages/whats_diff.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meehanite

quasi
05-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Standard Modern has sold a lot of machines to the U.S. Armed forces, especially the Navy. They also sell quite a few lathes to the Canadian Government.

Dr Stan
05-25-2010, 10:23 PM
The current standard modern may be a very fine lathe, may even be better than the old ones, I've not used or inspected them.

But, buyers should be aware that the company was non existent for a long period of time, a decade wouldn't surprise me. I can't see how it would be the same people culture etc and I don't think they're the same designs.....if you just relying on the anecdotes of those of us with the old ones the new might as well be from a different company.

I don't mean this to slight at all; maybe they're better than the old. If they are all made here (cast here? - that would be interesting to know) that makes them the only NA lathe maker I think which in itself is something, but don't rely on legacy reputation because i think all that's shared is the name.

I can only go on what Standard Modern has posted on its web site.

http://www.standard-modern.com/aboutus.html

They claim to have "60 years of history in the machine tools industry." If anyone knows how to determine if it is continuous or not I would certainly like to know the facts.

If (hopefully when) the time comes that I can purchase a brand new 16" lathe, I have already narrowed down my choices to either a Standard Modern or a Lion.

Robin R
05-25-2010, 11:21 PM
It looks like there is a big jump up in the specification, when you get to the 16" machines. Then they do say it has a grade A Meehanite bed, also leadscrew reverse, with threading to 800RPM.

They don't seem to be very forthcoming with pictures, so owners of older versions won't be able to say how similar the newer ones look.

J Richardson
05-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I think I may consider a S-M as a future addition.

John