PDA

View Full Version : Half full or half empty ?

John Stevenson
05-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Just checking :rolleyes:

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/oxobottle1.jpg

Yup empty.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/oxobottle2.jpg

Oldbrock
05-25-2010, 03:40 PM
If you weren't sure did you start the count down when the cut started?:eek:

Tony Ennis
05-25-2010, 03:42 PM
That place is a mess. I'm so embarrassed for you.

gnm109
05-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Sweet! Now I feel better about my mess.......:D

small.planes
05-25-2010, 04:08 PM
John,
I see you've tidied up. What did you do with the mess?

Edit:
Forgot to ask the obvious question, what re you doing with that? Bombproof plant pots?
Dave

Doc Nickel
05-25-2010, 04:32 PM

-That's what's known as a working shop. A place where a person earns a living, not just a remodelled garage where he spends his retirement making miniature steam engines simply because there's nothing good on TV.

:D

Doc.

lugnut
05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
OK sir John, what ya gona build outa dat tank now ya got it emptied?:D

John Stevenson
05-25-2010, 05:12 PM
OK sir John, what ya gona build outa dat tank now ya got it emptied?
Funny you should ask that :rolleyes:.

Although it's not really funny as I'm trying to finish 45,762 jobs off AND do the spline tool, and bastard customers keep getting in the way.

So dinnertime today it appears that on certain fork trucks the main motor is at the rear and you have to lift the counterweights off to get to it, so after they had lifted the counterweights off and repaired the very, very expensive motor they dropped the counterweights on said motor.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/motorend1.jpg

Result the brush gear has gone for a Burton and so had the end of the motor which is made from unobtainium.

"Can you weld this ?"

"Piss off" [ you could tell I was in a good mood as no proper swear words were used in the conversation ]

"Can we have a new one for tomorrow morning as we are seriously in the sh´te"

"Can you bring a bacon sarnie when you collect ?"

"Yes "

No contest, sod all the other jobs.

So somewhere inside that Oxo bottle, lurked this.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/motorend2.jpg

Nearly done but it's Tuesday night and had to rip down the pub for a pint and a steak [ Yes Doctor demo those paper thin ones you can see thorough - mind you Yanks must have bloody good eyesight as anything less than 48 ounces they can see thru. ]

macona
05-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Tanks for the memories...

lugnut
05-25-2010, 06:08 PM
One thing for sure, not many folks would have thought to look inside that tank to find parts they needed to fix that motor. You must have Xray vision:D

John Stevenson
05-25-2010, 06:21 PM

Tony.
I don't do embarrassed, I do poor, stressed and don't give a rats arse, choose any one from three ;)

Mark McGrath
05-25-2010, 06:55 PM
One thing for sure, not many folks would have thought to look inside that tank to find parts they needed of fix that motor. You must have Xray vision:D

Pure dead brilliant..

Mark.

The Artful Bodger
05-25-2010, 07:05 PM
-That's what's known as a working shop. A place where a person earns a living, not just a remodelled garage where he spends his retirement making miniature steam engines simply because there's nothing good on TV.

Doc.

Should I be offended? I am an Olde Pharte who intends to spend his retirement playing in his new garage with his new Chinese workshop machines rather that watching TV and struggling to listen to the witterings of his household.

John Stevenson
05-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Should I be offended? I am an Olde Pharte who intends to spend his retirement playing in his new garage with his new Chinese workshop machines rather that watching TV and struggling to listen to the witterings of his household.

Ask yourself.

Do I need to be offended ?
Will it worry me if I am offended ?
At what level am I offended ?
Is the TV offended ?
Do I need to study Karma to prevent being offended ?

Do I give a rats arse ? and
Who can I offend next ?

NEXT............

gnm109
05-25-2010, 07:42 PM

Doc.

It sounds good to me. With an occasional tetanus shot, he's going to be OK. :)

John Stevenson
05-25-2010, 07:44 PM
It sounds good to me. With an occasional tetanus shot, he's going to be OK. :)

Bugger off, no self respecting germ would live in there.

Your Old Dog
05-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Tanks for the memories...

I think you mean "Tanks for the mamories..."

Ask yourself.

Do I need to be offended ?
Will it worry me if I am offended ?
At what level am I offended ?
Is the TV offended ?
Do I need to study Karma to prevent being offended ?

Who can I offend next ?

NEXT............

You been reading the works of Dr. Wayne Dwyer? Sounds just like him.

Nice job on the fix. Your clients must think you're a genius or a fool :D

The Artful Bodger
05-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Who can I offend next ?

Nah, you dont offend me Sir John, in fact I rather admire the picture you paint of yourself here. :)

John Stevenson
05-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Nice job on the fix. Your clients must think you're a genius or a fool :D

Probably the reverse order :rolleyes:

aboard_epsilon
05-25-2010, 08:31 PM
That's the best use for them bottles, now you cant swap them for free :D

all the best.markj

gnm109
05-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Bugger off, no self respecting germ would live in there.

Bugger off, eh? You Brits are so colorful on your speech. I was serious, however. After seeing your ah......workspace, I do indeed feel a lot better. Floor sweepings in my barn have now been set back to once a month instead of the former once every "fortnight" (British colloquilism). If my spouse complains about the increase of swarf on her rugs in the house, I'll just tell her to bugger off, too. That'll fix me good. LOL.

By the way, that tank was still full of air, even after you cut the top off. :D

snowman
05-25-2010, 09:46 PM
That's the best use for them bottles, now you cant swap them for free :D

all the best.markj

In this state, you can't even "own" them. I've got one in the garage that's been buggin me for years. It's got some welding companies name on the band. When I was younger and stupid, I bought it with a torch set...little did I know I couldn't get it filled.

Should prolly cut mine in half just so I can take it to the yard to get rid of it.

lakeside53
05-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Mine's cut and becoming a "bell"... The wife wants one to call me in for dinner. it getting harder and hard to stay out of ear-shot:rolleyes:

doctor demo
05-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Nearly done but it's Tuesday night and had to rip down the pub for a pint and a steak [ Yes Doctor demo those paper thin ones you can see thorough - mind you Yanks must have bloody good eyesight as anything less than 48 ounces they can see thru. ]
Man... You Brits really get pissie right before dinner.

Steve:D

The Artful Bodger
05-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Man... You Brits really get pissie right before dinner.

Steve:D

Um, I think the bacon sarnie was for dinner and now he is off for his tea!:)

wierdscience
05-25-2010, 10:58 PM
John,the other end of that tank makes a nice bell,add a gong and piss the neighbors hourly:D

Lew Hartswick
05-26-2010, 12:20 AM
John,the other end of that tank makes a nice bell,add a gong and piss the neighbors hourly:D
Dry power fire extingushers are great for that too. Was given 5 or6
a while ago and have turned a plug with a threaded hole for an I
bolt to hang them by. going to make one of those wind chimes with
3 or 4 . Will need a pretty big chunk of something for the "tapper" :-)
Sliced off the bottom of one to change the pitch and have two sizes.
will have to get back on that one of these days.
...lew...

wtrueman
05-26-2010, 12:40 AM
I have a couple of these that I cut apart so I can use them as water cup holders for my grinders. One did two grinders. My .02. Wayne

Your Old Dog
05-26-2010, 08:48 AM
...lew...

Try hardwood for a gong. It softens the sound and takes the industrial quality of it.

John Stevenson
05-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Well just finished me bacon sarnie for dinner, very nice.

swapped it for this.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/motorend3.jpg

Deja Vu
05-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Super John,
The person that presented his problem to you should be totally grateful.
"Johnny on the spot"! Dr. John operated and saved another ass(friendly).:D

John Stevenson
05-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Super John,
The person that presented his problem to you should be totally grateful.

I don't think he will be :mad: just spotted there should be 4 holes in the stepped ring to hold it onto the body of the motor.

Sod it he'll have to pop it back, fortunately he's pretty local, about a mile away.

Deja Vu
05-26-2010, 09:39 AM
I don't think he will be :mad: just spotted there should be 4 holes in the stepped ring to hold it onto the body of the motor.

Sod it he'll have to pop it back, fortunately he's pretty local, about a mile away.

Heh! I can just see his expression now when he first attempts to install the part....What the f***?

(maybe he'll have enough tools to finish it himself)

BobWarfield
05-26-2010, 12:15 PM
I have to say that if I was sawing a gas cylinder of unknown origin, it would be done in someone else's shop, and I know Sir John is at least that smart. Then I saw he knew it was an oxy bottle, okay, all clear so long as the pressure is off.

But the really interesting part of this discussion has been the bacon sarnie. Who knew these things existed? Right when I thought my diet was already pretty unhealthy, I go to look that up:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/38/Baconbutty.jpg/800px-Baconbutty.jpg

I realized two things immediately. First, our BLT's are just wussy by comparison. Kind of like Guiness vs Coors. We don't need no steenking lettuce and tomatoes! Second, I realized I was very very hungry.

Pork fat rules,

BW

Deja Vu
05-26-2010, 12:16 PM
So somewhere inside that Oxo bottle, lurked this.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/motorend2.jpg

I'm curious. That ring above seems so much thicker than the wall thickness of the tank you sliced. Where from the tank did you find that ring? Knowing nothing about the geometires of those tanks, maybe the bottom area has a thicker wall? or am I completely missin' somethin'? :confused:

Lew Hartswick
05-26-2010, 12:19 PM
I realized two things immediately. First, our BLT's are just wussy by comparison. Kind of like Guiness vs Coors. We don't need no steenking lettuce and tomatoes! Second, I realized I was very very hungry.

Pork fat rules,

BW
Personally I like my baccon a little crisper. (cook some more of that
fat out) :-) But it does make me hungry.
...lew...

Deja Vu
05-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Bob: That looks more like Canadian bacon!;)
Lew: Yup...I like the "crunch" when biting in.

small.planes
05-26-2010, 01:47 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/38/Baconbutty.jpg/800px-Baconbutty.jpg

That appears to be a health food sarnie. Its on Brown Bread for **** sake!

We get Bacon, Egg and Black Pudding Cobs on a friday for elevenses. :D :D :D

Dave

John Stevenson
05-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Bob,
That's a small sarnie and as Dave says it's on brown bread.
The better ones are on half a bread roll, full of well done bacon, mushrooms and black pudding.

When you bite into them everyone hits the deck because of the shrapnel !!

DV,
The top ring is a piece of laser cut profile because it's needed wider than the cylinder was thick.

Peter.
05-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Looks like re-heated bacon too. It's been cooked and saved then re-heated on a griddle going by the colour and griddle scorch marks. Bit like that Cob Shop down the road John I got two rolls from there, ate half of one and fed the rest to the ducks.

snowman
05-26-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm curious. That ring above seems so much thicker than the wall thickness of the tank you sliced. Where from the tank did you find that ring? Knowing nothing about the geometires of those tanks, maybe the bottom area has a thicker wall? or am I completely missin' somethin'? :confused:

I thought the same thing initially. Mostly because I cut a tank in half today to scrap it out.

When I cut it in half, I just figured they make things bigger in GB. According to the radio today, GB has the curviest women...who knew.

gzig5
05-26-2010, 05:25 PM

Looks to me like the thick ring on the tailstock side is welded onto the cylinder part. You can see the bead at the joint line.

Deja Vu
05-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Looks to me like the thick ring on the tailstock side is welded onto the cylinder part. You can see the bead at the joint line.

Yup...I figured that out as soon as JS commented on my question. If the part in the jaws is the tank, notched and fitted, it appears to be the bottom of the tank. Unless JS has another part to which the short tank cylinder is attached.

gvasale
05-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Say "Aye," if you would never object to have Mr. Stevenson as your neighbor.

Aye. Now, that brown bread looks a little light in color, but its been a while since I opened a can. (B&M)

BobWarfield
05-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Brown bread? Well we have to cut back somewhere.

It's like the James Bond movie where M says that Bond is suffering from too many free radicals due to too much white bread, too much red meat, and too many vodka martinis.

Bond immediately replies in all serious, "Well then I shall have to cut back on the white bread."

Cheers,

BW

davidh
05-26-2010, 08:34 PM
...lew...
use an old u-joint as a clapper. . . . . .

davidh
05-26-2010, 08:38 PM
I have to say that if I was sawing a gas cylinder of unknown origin, it would be done in someone else's shop, and I know Sir John is at least that smart. Then I saw he knew it was an oxy bottle, okay, all clear so long as the pressure is off.

But the really interesting part of this discussion has been the bacon sarnie. Who knew these things existed? Right when I thought my diet was already pretty unhealthy, I go to look that up:

Pork fat rules,

BW

don't anyone cook the bacon first ???

wierdscience
05-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Local place here does bacon the right way-deep fried:)

Cobbler
05-27-2010, 02:16 AM
I'm pretty sure you cut the wrong end off that cylinder.... BTW, the big oxy cylinders are bowling ball caliber! (DOT 3AA3600)

Junior @ 4 yrs old, helping with a safety check.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x308/kennyrolling/100_2234.jpg

Here's a vid of the thing going off with a baggie full of gasoline (petrol) resting on top of the ball.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FphxhXbjK5Y

The smaller cylinders like they carry around in ambulances are softball caliber.

ulav8r
05-27-2010, 11:54 AM
I just now got to this thread, but it is quite obvious that John's floor is only half full, I saw a little of it in that first photo, nearly 2 inches square and only a thin layer of stuff around that.

Mark K
05-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Purely to satisfy academic chin scratching, what is your propellant?

Mark

Cobbler
05-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Purely to satisfy academic chin scratching, what is your propellant?

Mark

A modest load, 900 grains of black powder. I've heard of other folks with these O2 bowling ball mortars and cannons using up to 1/2 pound (3,500 grains) of black powder... I'm not that brave/crazy/stupid. There is a generous amount of windage on the ball too. 250 grains will not get the ball out of the barrel on mine.

Deja Vu
05-27-2010, 11:10 PM

So, did he return the item for those damn details yet?

John Stevenson
05-28-2010, 01:32 AM
Yes came straight back round and hung on whilst i drilled the 4 holes, job went out that same afternoon.

Bguns
05-28-2010, 05:24 AM
Clumsy Bastard :)

doctor demo
05-29-2010, 12:43 AM
Clumsy Bastard :)
Times 2:p
Steve

BWS
05-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Mr. Stevenson,you sir have givin me the inspiration to go cleanup 'round our cutoff saw.Haven't seen the concrete there for a few years,so was sorta on my list.But your post was/is the needed.....uuumph to go clean that chit up.Just a funny way of sayin thanks,BW

John Stevenson
05-29-2010, 10:35 AM
BWS,
I cleaned round the saw in '92 or was it '89 ? not sure

Bguns, Dr Demo,
Nice one, still smiling :D

doctor demo
05-29-2010, 02:46 PM
I try to keep a good size pile around the saw, that way I can leave the saw unattended when cutting parts and not worry about them falling all the way to the floor and being dented.

Keep smiling John! Ya clumsy bass turd:D

Steve

Randolph
05-31-2010, 12:54 PM

Doc.
Aha! The old "working shop" excuse for not cleaning up your shop. I have heard it all my life and it isn't any more valid today than it was the first time I heard it.