PDA

View Full Version : OT: Formula One returns to the United States

lazlo
05-25-2010, 05:14 PM
...in my home town. Schwing!

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/5/10824.html

Formula One World Championship Limited and Formula One Administration Limited (together, the F1 Commercial Rights Holder) and Full Throttle Productions, LP, promoter of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™, announce that a historic agreement has been reached for Austin, Texas to serve as the host city of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ for years 2012 through 2021.

“We are extremely honoured and proud to reach an agreement with the F1 Commercial Rights Holder. We have been diligently working together for several years to bring this great event to Austin, the State of Texas and back to the United States. All parties involved have a great amount of trust and confidence in each other and are committed to establishing the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in Austin, Texas as a prestigious global event,” stated Tavo Hellmund, Managing Partner of Full Throttle Productions, LP.

Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group stated: “For the first time in the history of Formula One in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event. It was thirty years ago that the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit in Watkins Glen, NY (1961-1980), which enjoyed great success. Since then, Formula One has been hosted by Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix all on temporary street circuits. Indianapolis joined the ranks of host cities in 2000 when they added a road course inside the famed oval. Lewis Hamilton won the last Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in 2007, signalling the end to eight years at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This however, will be the first time a facility is constructed from the ground up specifically for Formula One in the US.”

Mr. Hellmund added: “This is a case of the right timing in the right place. As many Americans know, Austin has earned a reputation as one of the ‘it’ cities in the United States. Austin features that rare combination of ideal geographic location and beauty. Its fine dining, world-renowned hospitality and excellent transportation infrastructure make Austin ideally suited to host and manage an event of this magnitude. Few cities if any in America could rival the connectivity of all the key elements needed for hosting a Formula 1 event as well as Austin. Now, many people around the world will have the opportunity to experience a world-class event, facility and city.”

rotate
05-25-2010, 05:27 PM
This is a good news indeed.

No figures were given but it must have been several billion dollar deal.

kendall
05-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Really think that's a nice idea! I've always been a fan of racing.

Hopefully they don't do like Grand Rapids did a while back. Don't even remember what race it was, but the city spent so much money trying to 'hide' it from anyone without a ticket that they lost their butts.

Ken.

Mcgyver
05-25-2010, 07:03 PM
as a younger guy, BC (before children) the wife to be and i would head to Montreal every year for the GP. Montreal is such a fun place and the hype on race weekend compounded things, I always had a great time. glad to see the GP's returning to the states and close to you to boot!

dfw5914
05-25-2010, 07:10 PM
...in my home town. Schwing!

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/5/10824.html

....excellent transportation infrastructure....

Obviously they have never driven through Austin on I-35 on a Friday evening;)

jkilroy
05-25-2010, 09:48 PM
They never driven ANYWHERE in Austin at 5pm on a Friday, or just about any other work day for that matter. Lived there for a few years, really liked it, nice town, HORRIBLE RUDE drivers on par with Boston.

If you are from Boston or Austin and are offended, I've lived in both and I am qualified to comment...

Willy
05-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Congratulations Austin!

Hopefully this will be a catalyst for a future US Formula 1 effort.
Not since Dan Gurney won the 1967 Belgian Grand Prix in his own Eagle MK1, has an American car won a Formula One event. Way too long.
The US has the talent within it's borders, they desperately need some major sponsorship money to get airborne. This sounds like a step in the direction needed to create spectator interest and hopefully release a bit of sponsorship funding.

CCWKen
05-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Obviously they have never driven through Austin on I-35 on a Friday evening;)

It doesn't even need to be a Friday. The toll road operators should make a bundle. :rolleyes:

I can just imagine all Northern folks coming down here in the summer and sitting on aluminum bleachers at mid-day sun. :eek:

lazlo
05-25-2010, 11:11 PM
It doesn't even need to be a Friday. The toll road operators should make a bundle. :rolleyes:

Austin rush hour traffic is bad, but not as bad as Dallas, or heck San Jose, for that matter.

I can just imagine all Northern folks coming down here in the summer and sitting on aluminum bleachers at mid-day sun. :eek:

No worse than the Texas Motor Speedway, or the Atlanta Motor Speedway ;)

Lew Hartswick
05-25-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm tickled to find there are a few F1 fans here. All I hear most places
is talk about those "big left turn" drivers. I was really happy when I
found Speed Channel was carrying F1 races. a couple years ago.
I was at the first US GP in Sebring FL and been a fan ever since.
The first note I saw on the return to US was on BBC news and at
that time they were talking about a location in NY so I thought it
would be a re-modeled Watkins Glenn but now it's TX so great, I hope
it works out.
...lew...

Sleazey
05-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Oh yea! I'm in Houston, so I definitely am planning to go.

I've been watching F1 for several years now on satellite. I bought a home theater and HDTV setup a year and half ago mostly to watch F1 in high def.

I was an F1 fan for several years back in the 60's, a side effect of my slot car hobby at the time. College, married life, kids, career, and the general absence of F1 on TV meant I didn't follow it for decades; so, when I noticed SpeedTV was carrying the F1 seasons, I started watching again. It didn't take but a couple of races to get completely hooked again.

Yea Austin! Yea F1!

Let's just hope Ecclestone isn't effing around as some kind of pressure tactic against other venues.

bobw53
05-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Its cool, its neat, and I might wander down to check it out, since I was broke and piss poor when F1 first came to Indy.

It won't last. I'll bet my left nut they won't make it to the 4th year on that 10 year contract. I'd actually be surprised if F1 was still around in 10 years. Its more politics than racing.

Lew, no picking on the roundy round guys. That sucks too now. I like 'em on the lefty right courses. I used to go to Watkins Glen every year until they did everything they possibly could to make it not fun/worth it anymore.

winchman
05-26-2010, 01:44 AM
I regularly watch F1 on TV, including practice and qualifying, which is often better than the race itself.

I know there will be some people who will say they'd rather watch it on TV, but I'd counter that some things just have to be witnessed in person to get a full appreciation of what's going on. That's how it was with me and seeing top fuel dragsters and funny cars. I'm sure F1 is the same way.

John Stevenson
05-26-2010, 03:32 AM

So let me get this right, they will have to do pit stops and tyre changes and stop for the road tolls ?
Should make for an interesting race ;)

Circlip
05-26-2010, 04:38 AM
Wonder if the poison dwarf will get away with/be allowed to hold the stranglehold he has at other venues to stage the circus.

Locked onto F1 many years ago when the firm I worked for made bits that held the turbos onto the engine for Williams/Honda. Only took an interest making sure our bit kept hold throughout the race.

For many years it became very processional which should appeal to the collonial oval circuit enthusiast but has now changed to the extent that cars can now and often do overtake each other. Successive rule changes are gradually getting the action back to driver skill rather than "I've got better electronic gizmos than you"

Go to see a live one once, but the best days to go are for the "Free" practice sessions and qualifying and then watch the race on TV.

Hope Bernie doesn't spoil it for you. If he does, there's always MotoGP at Laguna Seca.

Regards Ian.

malbenbut
05-26-2010, 05:02 AM
Formula 1--- the most boring of all the race venues. Just a parade of cars hardly any overtaking the cars on pole position nearly always win, if he doesn't it means he's broke down or the pit crew has not performed well.
MBB

gzig5
05-26-2010, 11:01 AM
I regularly watch F1 on TV, including practice and qualifying, which is often better than the race itself.

I know there will be some people who will say they'd rather watch it on TV, but I'd counter that some things just have to be witnessed in person to get a full appreciation of what's going on. That's how it was with me and seeing top fuel dragsters and funny cars. I'm sure F1 is the same way.

We went to the F1 races at Indy for several years. Camped out and had a good time. One of the best parts of the event that you never can appreciate on TV, are the female Brazilian fans. The race itself was usually pretty good too, except for the tire debacle.

Falcon67
05-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Sounds good. We might go at least once if the ticket prices are not out-of-sight. Based on what I see lately in our part of the racing world, I say "good luck" to them because they'll have one hell of a time filling seats. Every venue within 250 miles is down 50% or more this year in racer participation and about zero in spectator attendance. Even the circle track doesn't have enough cars for an A and B Main anymore. They still get spectators, at least some. To spend $million$ on a race facility now means you got lotsa capital, you're freakin' crazy - or lying out your azz about the finances.

Rex
05-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Lew, the wife and I have followed F1 since 1998 or so, and I've followed it since my teen years. Spent most of a week in Dallas at the 1984 USGP, all day every day (106 degrees). Went to the USGP at Indy a few years ago.

I just can't believe Bernie signed off on a 10-year deal for a track that isn't even built yet. Uncharacteristic, unless a great deal of money changed hands.

Sleazy, I share your slot car hobby. Wife and I both have slot cars, though we haven't had a local track in a couple years. If I ever get the space i'll buy a commercial track.

My other hobby besides machining is SCCA racing. Reminds me, I need to renew my license.

Rex
05-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Sounds good. We might go at least once if the ticket prices are not out-of-sight. Based on what I see lately in our part of the racing world, I say "good luck" to them because they'll have one hell of a time filling seats. Every venue within 250 miles is down 50% or more this year in racer participation and about zero in spectator attendance. Even the circle track doesn't have enough cars for an A and B Main anymore. They still get spectators, at least some. To spend $million$ on a race facility now means you got lotsa capital, you're freakin' crazy - or lying out your azz about the finances.

You might be surprised. Worldwide more people follow F1 than NASCAR. The top drivers are the highest paid sports figures in the world. People from all over the planet will come to Austin to watch the race.

CCWKen
05-26-2010, 03:16 PM
So let me get this right, they will have to do pit stops and tyre changes and stop for the road tolls ?
Should make for an interesting race.
No, the folks going to the race will most likely have to pay tolls to get there. Texas has been shoving toll roads down our throats for several years. Even passed several propositions to "outlaw" them but they keep coming back. We won't have 'em down here in San Antonio. IH-35 through Austin is the worst stretch of crowded road I've ever been on--Including Dallas. All the Gen-X crowd must have moved to Austin to support their crack habit. Then they get out on the highway and pretend to know where they're going at 90mph.

I used to think the Chicago loop was bad. If you don't do over 80 near Austin, you'll get run over. Then all of a sudden everything comes to a halt for an hour while the Yuppies suck on crack pipes I guess. :rolleyes:

Circlip
05-27-2010, 03:27 AM
I just can't believe Bernie signed off on a 10-year deal for a track that isn't even built yet. Uncharacteristic, unless a great deal of money changed hands.

Over a ten year period, thats a prospective minimum return of £10,000,000 (Ten British million POUNDS) per race meeting. As it's America, probably more than £10M.

Many emergent nations have signed into this to join in the glitz factor of the F1 circus, and a few have told him to place it where the sun don't shine.

Good luck, BUT, keep a tight hold on your wallets, Glitz ain't cheap.

Regards Ian.

John Stevenson
05-27-2010, 03:42 AM
The only way to get racing back into F1 instead of the procession they have had for the last few years is to scrap all the high priced drivers, what do they have to loose ?

Instead pay them 5K per year and one million bonus to the race winner, 1/2 mill second, 1/4 mill third and so on.

THEN you would see some close racing..............

EVguru
05-27-2010, 05:52 AM
If you want to watch close racing, then you need to be looking at Formula V, Formula Ford 1600, Caterhams, or any other formula where the cars have minimal downforce and also don't punch a big hole though the air. I've seen the lead change four times in one lap of Mallory Park in a Vee race and the Caterham race on the same day was almost impossible to follow cars were changing places so often.

bob ward
05-27-2010, 06:31 AM
At no race venue anywhere in the world does Formula 1 stand on its own two feet financially. Bernie & Co are experts in conning financial support from all levels of government, national state and local.

The politicians have their heads turned by the glamour & hype and the 'potential economic benefits to the region', not to mention the glamour & hype, and are beguiled by very smooth operators into paying vast amounts out of the public purse to Bernie & Co. The politicians get their d1cks sucked (metaphorically of course ;) ) and we get to suck sh1t.

lazlo
05-27-2010, 12:38 PM
No, the folks going to the race will most likely have to pay tolls to get there.

There are only 2 toll roads near Austin, and neither is actually even close to the city limits. The primary toll road is route 45 which goes from Cedar park to Pfugerville, and a small spur of 183 that goes from Cedar Park to Leander. None of those would be used for race traffic.

Don't understand all the negativity about hot bleacher seats and "Crack-heads"-- Yuppies don't smoke crack :) Sounds like a City Mouse/Country Mouse scenario ;)

The dark grey road is I-35 -- the highway that runs north to Dallas, and south to San Antonio. The Red/White line are the toll roads:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/rtgeorge_album/AustinTollRoads.png

Alistair Hosie
05-27-2010, 03:37 PM
I have never been able to understand the point of it all looks boring to me everytime it's on telly I switch over or better still off :D Alistair

John Stevenson
05-27-2010, 03:53 PM
I have never been able to understand the point of it all looks boring to me everytime it's on telly I switch over or better still off :D Alistair

Heretic.........

smalltime
05-27-2010, 05:33 PM
At no race venue anywhere in the world does Formula 1 stand on its own two feet financially. Bernie & Co are experts in conning financial support from all levels of government, national state and local.

The politicians have their heads turned by the glamour & hype and the 'potential economic benefits to the region', not to mention the glamour & hype, and are beguiled by very smooth operators into paying vast amounts out of the public purse to Bernie & Co. The politicians get their d1cks sucked (metaphorically of course ;) ) and we get to suck sh1t.

I'm also a huge fan of F1. I got to the USGP at indy three times. (even got to see Rubens win!)
Sadly, I think Bob is on the right track. Just look at what Bernie did to the Canadian GP. When the govt wouldn't pony up, he bailed. I hope the Austin folks have a GOOD law team. I can assure you Bernie does.

All that said, If you have a chance to actually SEE an F1 race in person, Take it.
There is no more awsome car on the planet. 5+Gs under braking, engines LIMITED to 19,000 rmp. And a sound like no other.

CCWKen
05-27-2010, 11:18 PM
LOL... Zoom out on your map Laz. You forgot the longest one--130 around Austin. There's four toll roads--1, 45, 183 & 130. I bet they extend 1 South past Austin too but the big money is North from Austin to Round Rock and that's all basically Austin Metro. Your map makes Austin look small but there's no break in demographics from Austin to Round Rock.

It's early yet; give them a chance. There's more (or extensions to) toll roads coming.

lazlo
05-28-2010, 10:33 AM
LOL... Zoom out on your map Laz. You forgot the longest one--130 around Austin.

LOL Ken -- 130 is Texas' Bridge to Nowhere: it's part of the Trans-Texas Corridor, A.K.A. the Trans-Texas Corruption, A.K.A. the Trans-Texas Cash-cow. It's 15 miles east of Austin, and goes from nowhere to nowhere (from Georgetown to Seguin). If you've ever driven on 130, it's completely empty, and it cost over $1.5 Billion to build.

That picture is the Texas DOT map of the Austin Toll Roads. 130 isn't even close. See the oval highway that surrounds downtown Austin? That's the Austin City Limits.

So no, we don't have hot bleacher seats, no Yuppie crackheads, and no tollroads to interfere with your F1 enjoyment :D

In any event, when you F1 fans come down to see the race -- look me up! I'll give you a shop tour, take you out for brisket and margaritas (Austin's official drink :))...

winchman
05-30-2010, 08:15 AM
There's enough down-force that these cars could easily run upside down. To take advantage of this and add considerable excitement, they could have a short-cut on the track with an inverted section for those brave and skillful enough to take it.

Evan
05-30-2010, 09:38 AM
If you want to watch close racing, then you need to be looking at Formula V, Formula Ford 1600, Caterhams, or any other formula where the cars have minimal downforce and also don't punch a big hole though the air. I've seen the lead change four times in one lap of Mallory Park in a Vee race and the Caterham race on the same day was almost impossible to follow cars were changing places so often.

Absolutely. I was involved in racing for a while when young and even built a Can Am car chassis at one place I worked. If you want a close race then you need a track like Sears Point in California. The time difference between Formula V and F1 back in the 1960s was only about 15 seconds per lap. It really sorted out the drivers with skills,

Lew Hartswick
05-30-2010, 09:46 AM
If I were RedBull team manager, About NOW there would be an
un-employed F1 driver. :-(
...Lew...

Arcane
05-30-2010, 09:52 AM
...Lew...

That's called "Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory". lol

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/lewishamilton/7786212/F1-Turkish-Grand-Prix-Lewis-Hamilton-wins-as-Red-Bull-throw-away-one-two.html

Lew Hartswick
05-30-2010, 10:09 AM
I see at least one other person gets up early on a Sun Morning . :-)
...lew...

wierdscience
05-30-2010, 11:01 AM
I see nothing worth watching,doesn't matter F-1,Indy,Nascar etc all the same,multi-million dollar crews "racing" around multi-billion dollar tracks.

Personally I would suggest we hang any politician even hinting that we build another track,field,stadium etc.It's a for profit venture let the organizers build it.

It's sad all the money spent and a $15 ticket at the local dirt track yeilds a more interesting race.

Circlip
05-31-2010, 03:11 AM
...Lew...

Sadly, after the Monaco, this was the most exciting part of the race. Hopefully Christian Horner writes this off as a "Racing Incident" as in the past, the third place man was guilty of wiping out His own team mates when he was employed by other teams on at least two occasions.

No excuse for not seeing that his team mate was actually in front of him.

Regards Ian

dfw5914
05-31-2010, 03:16 AM
If it is organized, it's not racing.

BWS
05-31-2010, 04:44 AM
Sorta agree dfw.

Longtime F1 fan here but gotta sat the GP2 is alot more entertaining.F1 is alittle too polite.BW