PDA

View Full Version : Blast Cabinet Recommendation

pressurerelief
05-25-2010, 10:08 PM
I am tired of my blast cabinet leaking at the seams and thinking it is a little tired. I am looking for a recommendation for a quality cabinet a step or two above Tp Tools, and the usual suspects. I have all the air I need from a nice quincy compressor so that is not an issue.

Thanks for your replies,

P/R

Farbmeister
05-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Make one. They are overpriced for what they are (sheet metal box for $1k+??).

I built a box out of MDF 4 years ago and its still holding up fine. Replace the lexan every year or so... still on my first pair of HF $8 blast cabinet gloves.

So far I've restored a 42 jeep, some guns, and CCKW parts as well (including rims).

Must has spent all of $50 for wood, $100 for a shop vac, and $15 for halogen lights.

I sealed the joints with tub and tile caulk. Doesn't leak on bit. The only time it does leak is if I aim the nozzle at the vacuum port by mistake (the hole was was a little big for the 2in vac hose.

JoeFin
05-26-2010, 12:27 AM
I thought this guy was pretty clever

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l10/gearsmithy/DSCN0150.jpg

davidh
05-26-2010, 08:45 AM
my neighbor modified a 265 gal fuel oil tank, opening one end for easy in and out. he made a really wide viewing area and has a cheap shop vac for dust control...... its really neat. . .

Jim Caudill
05-26-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm surprised you think TP tools ranks at the lower end of the scale. I currently own a Trinco, but have owned a TP tools cabinet in the past (when they were TIP - Truman Industrial Products). I modified my Trinco cabinet with "glove collars" and gloves from TP tools, because they are much more comfortable. I like the Trinco discharge aseembly better than the TP tools, but not by much. The glass window is the same, and I order my spares from TP tools, since they are easier to order from.

daryl bane
05-26-2010, 04:19 PM
I have a Trinco myself, and it has been just fine. But, if cost not a factor, I would get a Zero from Clemco . I have used them before and a true top notch unit.

reggie_obe
05-26-2010, 05:02 PM
I've always though the TIP products were very good. Have one of their pressure pot blasters. Great support, parts always available. Visited the showroom/plant in Canton, staff answered every question and they spend as much time as necessary with each customer. Many items can be tried out by the potential buyer, right in the showroom. Special deals can usually be had on cabinets that they've taken to car show for demos.

Farbmeister
05-27-2010, 01:14 PM
I thought this guy was pretty clever

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l10/gearsmithy/DSCN0150.jpg

That is a HF pressure pot with a better decal. hahahaha Looks like the ones they sell at Tractor Supply.

They do sell kits to turn just about anything into a blast cabinet... glove holes, vision ports etc.

garagemark
05-27-2010, 01:51 PM
I too have a cabinet from the old Tip company, but sprung for the the small six bag filter for it instead of the vacuum type. I also added a better lighting system inside the cabinet.

I have never had a minute's problem with it, and it has never leaked. Short of a full pressure cabinet (mucho $), it is the next best thing. But, like anything else mechanical- if you you don't take care of it and don't do a little routine maintenance to it, it'll go straight to hell in a handbasket. The best unit in the world is a POS without some TLC.

pressurerelief
05-27-2010, 09:31 PM
My current cabinet is a Tp Tools model. I have no issue with their service, I have used it enough over the last ten years to maintain this cabinet. I am just getting tired of the excessive leakage due to metal fatigue and and the unit just plain wearing out to the point that parts are not what it needs.

Thought I would treat myself to something a little bit nicer.

P/R

Scishopguy
05-28-2010, 01:58 PM
We had a Trinco at work, with 2 sets of gloves in the box. It opened on both ends for ease of loading parts and for doing long parts. It worked pretty well out of the box except for the vacuum system. That was kind of "mickey mouse" if you ask me. It was two 30 gal. drums, one on top of the other, with a bag hanging in between them. The vacuum was supplied by a simple vacuum cleaner motor unit on top of the top drum. The cabinet was great quality, the vacuum unit not so much :rolleyes:

The box had a glass view screen with a sheet of mylar taped to the inside, that you had to change out about once a year. That part worked really well. Cabinet was just made out of 18 ga. steel.