PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think My Bridgeport Is Worth In Today's Market

coollx
05-26-2010, 09:40 AM
I have a Bridgeport that a friend of mine wants to buy if I decide to sell it.

It is a 50's (I think) vintage machine with a 9" x 42" table and a J Head with a 1 HP 3 phase motor. The mill is in good condition and pretty tight. The head makes some noise at the highest speeds but the spindle is tight and the power down works perfectly. No power table feeds.

I wanted to ask this group for an idea on what would be a fair price for me and the potential buyer if I decide to sell it to him?

Thanks.

dr pepper
05-26-2010, 10:09 AM
I have been looking recently for a machine, prices vary considerably, and mainly depend on wear.
Bridgeports in the uk on ebay fetch around 1500 to 3500.

MichaelP
05-26-2010, 12:01 PM
It depends on a local market demand. Here I'd say step pulley may bring $900-$1000 if in a decent shape. Accessories such as power feeds, DRO and tooling would help significantly.

But if this is your friend, why don't you ask him what he has in mind?

EVguru
05-26-2010, 01:23 PM
I was offered two Bridgeports for 500 each just recently. At that kind of level, adding in a regrind/turcite treatment (~600) and leadscrew replacement looks quite attractive as a package.

I'd chose a belt-head over a vari-head these days (much quieter) and fit a VFD.

coollx
05-26-2010, 01:28 PM
I think my friend wants me to put a number on it and he will then tell me if he is interested. I don't think he wants to pay too much for it and probably believes asking me to come up with a number works to his advantage.

My mill is in good condition and if it's only worth $900-$1000 I'd probably keep it. I was thinking it would bring more in the area of $1500-$1600..but maybe not.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Carld
05-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Try looking online at machinery dealers. I'm sure they will be on the high side but it may give you an idea as to value.

Try looking on ebay at past sales to see what they really sold for.

Try calling some local machinery dealers within 300 mile radius.

Rex
05-26-2010, 02:35 PM
I don't know your market, but here in N Texas a machine like that, clean and in good working order, would bring $1500 fairly quickly
I'll bet you won't be including any tooling, so that would drop the value a tad.

Were I in your place, I'd tell my friend the truth.
"I don't know what the market is on these right now, but if I can't get $1500 for it I'll just keep it. Is it worth that to you?"

Boucher
05-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Doing business with friends and family is generally not going to satisfy everybody. Put your price on it and if he wants it he can buy it. Sell it Where is as is cash in hand before it moves. I have seen several good machines wrecked by people trying to move them and not knowing what they were doing.

I bought a newer vari speed with factory power feed and DRO for $2300. It was in very good condition and no tooling. I thought that was a good deal. Sold my older and fairly well worn step pulley model with power feed and DRO for the Same $2300. After having both, I would much prefer the step pulley with the 3 phase motor which would work with a VFD.

Alistair Hosie
05-26-2010, 04:59 PM
they sell quite cheaply without table feed etc and 50's is really an old machine now I don't think you can compare here in the uk where they go quite cheaply with some states in us where they fetch varied prices according to demand supply etc .keep your machine rather than sell it too cheaply is what I'd recommend .Alistair

Rustybolt
05-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Around here you can buy those all day for $500.00.They just aren't worth as much as the vari-speed J heads and those are going from 1000-1500. Some guys are sitting on their inventory rather than let stuff go that cheap. At the rate the economy is going they could be sitting on them for years.
I suppose if you threw in a bunch of tooling with it, it might be worth more.

hawgwrench
05-26-2010, 10:38 PM
It seems to me that this stuff (home shop machinery) nowadays seems to go for whatever a buyer will give and a seller will take.The difference is HAVING to sell it and WANTING to sell it.If it doesnt satisfy what you think its worth,or what you need from it,then just mothball it,its not going down in value.

Too_Many_Tools
05-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Around here you can buy those all day for $500.00.They just aren't worth as much as the vari-speed J heads and those are going from 1000-1500. Some guys are sitting on their inventory rather than let stuff go that cheap. At the rate the economy is going they could be sitting on them for years.
I suppose if you threw in a bunch of tooling with it, it might be worth more.

Care to provide us with several links that show that $500 Bridgeports of comparable condition to the OP's exist?

TMT

strokersix
05-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Yes, I'd like to see the $500 BPs too. Worth a trip with a stout trailer?

The cheapest one I've seen recently around here was a well used but still decent round ram 9x32. No DRO, no power feed. Asking was just under $1000. I've bought from that seller before and he won't come down much so I doubt it sold for less than $800.

Rustybolt
05-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Machinery auctions in my area-Chicago and suburbs, shops just shutting down or trying to get rid of surplus machinery.

Do you have a trailer? I know of a Cinncinati Toolmaster in Channahon Illinois that can be had cheap. He also has an old Milwauke Horiz. mill. You could probabvly make a deal

I know you think this stuff is valuable, but from an industry point of view, if it isn't making chips it's worthless. And in case you haven't noticed, a lot of places aren't making chips anymore.

reggie_obe
05-28-2010, 09:52 AM
One consideration for placing a value on the machine is that the spindle is noisy at the higher speeds. A sign that a re-build is in its near future. How old is the DRO? Is it still supported by the manufacturer? How much slop in the screws when the table is center in the X and Y?

Hamilton
05-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Late last year at a live auction i seen a Bridgeport sell for $550. It was not under power and looked dirty and a little rusty. This mill had a power feed and a DRO. I do not know how old this set up was. Plus 13% buyers fee. I would consider that a roll of the dice. Ealier this year a smaller J model with DRO at live auction sold for $850 before premium. Last week a J model very clean but loaded with chips in the ways and a shim stuffed in one of the ways power feed no DRO $750. before premiums. I do not have a great knowledge of Bridgeport mills.Buying from a trusted friend should have some value. I am in the midwest Milwaukee Chicago area. I am looking at purchasing a j model with DRO from a trusted friend for $750. Hope this helps.

Your Old Dog
05-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Look back in the morning after Sir John has sobered up ! I'm sure he'll have some insite :D

Too_Many_Tools
05-29-2010, 01:18 AM
Late last year at a live auction i seen a Bridgeport sell for $550. It was not under power and looked dirty and a little rusty. This mill had a power feed and a DRO. I do not know how old this set up was. Plus 13% buyers fee. I would consider that a roll of the dice. Ealier this year a smaller J model with DRO at live auction sold for $850 before premium. Last week a J model very clean but loaded with chips in the ways and a shim stuffed in one of the ways power feed no DRO $750. before premiums. I do not have a great knowledge of Bridgeport mills.Buying from a trusted friend should have some value. I am in the midwest Milwaukee Chicago area. I am looking at purchasing a j model with DRO from a trusted friend for $750. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input..so far you are the only one who has offered numbers.

I note that premium and sales tax usually means add another 20% to the final price.

Anyone else?

I would like to see the land of where Bridgeports can be had for $500 on a regular basis.

TMT

Your Old Dog
05-29-2010, 09:02 AM
I would like to see the land of where Bridgeports can be had for $500 on a regular basis.

TMT

It won't be in Western New York. Here they show up on Craigslist for $1500 or there abouts. They have a good reputation for a lot of people wether deserved or not. Not everyone reads the forums and not everyone has worked in the machine trades. Here in WNY I'd say $1500 would be reasonable price to pay for one that ain't all clapped out.

Rustybolt
05-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the input..so far you are the only one who has offered numbers.

I note that premium and sales tax usually means add another 20% to the final price.

Anyone else?

TMT

Machinetool auctions here in the Chicago area. Bring a trailer.
I sold a German 15 inch lathe and a VG condition Taiwan BP clone for 1500.00.
The lahe had taper attachment,steady follow, collet closer, tool post with several holders, inserts etc. The mill had a kurt clone and rotary table and collets, power feed on the x axis.
Why 1500.00? That was the most anyone was willing to pay.

I'll try to put this in perspective for you.
In the 2001 recession shop that were barely holding on, went under. A lot of garage shops and hobby people picked up the surplus. Comes 2009 and the economy takes another header. More shops close and now those garage shops that may have been making money also close. Hobbyist have lost their jobs and the first thing to go is the hobby stuff.
There are a ton of machines on the market, but nobody wants them.
People are sitting on their wallets, and for good reason.
The shop next door just bought a new Taiwanese CNC VMC. I asked the owner if he had gotten more work. He said no but the dealer had been sitting on that machine for more than a year and he had to get rid of it. So the dealer sold it cheap. The business owner needs to stay competitive. So he pushes his BPs into a corner, lays off three people, and struggles to keep things going one more month.
There used to be a lot of manufacturing around here. Now its just a bunch of little guys quoting, splitting pennies.
To me its a very scary situation.

lakeside53
05-29-2010, 11:24 AM
It's very much a regional issue. Out here, way more expensive than others report. Part of the reason is low supply; the other it costs a fortune ($1-2K) to ship them in from the East coast or rust belt...

Two very nice step belt machines sold recently in this area (Western WA) for $4,000 and $4500. No tooling package or vice. A few clones and other BPs have been advertised in the $2-3000 range. Last week, one that was a bit rough and advertised as "not rode to hard" was $1400...

At the various auctions over the past year, mainly Asian clones - $1400-$3000 (Plus 10% buyer premium and tax) for average looking machines - no power to test etc.

A friend of mine sold a number of Lagun clones for $2500 to $6000.

There is a BRAND NEW BP varispeed advertised (machinery dealer) at $12,995, and that seller has several used BPs from $2300 to $6k.

I bought two BPs last year for $500 each.. but... they were definitely parts machines. Another varispeed cost me $2500 three years ago - turned out to me not a lot better than the $500 machines:mad:

coollx
05-30-2010, 09:44 AM
It sounds like prices have a broad range depending on where you live and condition of course.

Other than the high rpm noise in the head, my BP is a pretty nice mill. Its clean, only has .008-.010 backlash in the X and Y screws when the table is centered.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments. I'll need to think about how to price it some more.

metalmagpie
05-30-2010, 07:48 PM
How much is a Ford F-150 worth?

airsmith282
05-30-2010, 09:25 PM
how much something is worth is simple , its how much someone is willing to pay for it..

in my busines i set prices and if someone is willing to pay my price then ill sell the item or do the job etc,,

so if you feel what you have is worh 3000.00 then ask that if no one pays you you keep it or you lower the price ,if someone offers you 2500 and you want it gone take the money and then take the wife out for dinner.