PDA

View Full Version : Mill power feed.

Black_Moons
05-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Hi, Iv got an IH mill and tempted by a power feed addon for about $200 rated for 160RPM rapid (120RPM max feed) and 150inch/lb torque
Is this a good deal? Should I look for a higher rapid speed? 160RPM is only 16IPM, seems kinda slow for a 30" table..

Dr Stan
05-29-2010, 11:50 PM
That's a very good price. As to the speed of the rapid traverse you need to ask yourself just how often do you go from one end of the table to the other?

Even at almost 2 minutes its still probably faster than cranking it by hand (and a lot easier on the elbow). :D

On edit: Are you sure about the 16 IPM? Most Bridgeports and their clones use a 5 TPI lead screw so my calculation comes out to 32 IPM.

Paul Alciatore
05-30-2010, 12:58 AM
That does seem like a slow rapid feed for a 10 TPI screw. But for a 5 TPI it may be more usable.

The power feeds I have used are faster, about 20 - 30 seconds from end to end.

You might double check the specs. with a salesman. It does sound a bit slow.

But as stated above, this is better than cranking by hand, even if you only do it occasionally.

Black_Moons
05-30-2010, 03:11 AM
10TPI leadscrew in my mill, so yea only 16IPM... Yea kinda slow, I think I can crank it faster then that.. (elbow aligned with axle and mad rotating action with my wrist/forarm)
I do see some on ebay that mention 30~40IPM, but maybe thats on a 5TPI bridgeport..
Think I should maybe go for less inch/lb and more RPM for an IH clone mill?

psomero
05-30-2010, 03:22 AM
That's a very good price. As to the speed of the rapid traverse you need to ask yourself just how often do you go from one end of the table to the other?

Even at almost 2 minutes its still probably faster than cranking it by hand (and a lot easier on the elbow). :D

On edit: Are you sure about the 16 IPM? Most Bridgeports and their clones use a 5 TPI lead screw so my calculation comes out to 32 IPM.

the IH mill has a 10 tpi leadscrew.

it's not even remotely bridgeport-based, also. it's an extremely beefed up RF45 clone

hawgwrench
05-30-2010, 09:54 AM
If you find yourself in a hurry you can always just disengage and use the hand crank....a bit slower is still better than endless cranking on a heavy cut,at least IMHO.

uncle pete
05-30-2010, 11:06 AM
After endless cranking for far to long I finally bought a mill that was large enough to use a Servo clone power feed, I'd never go back to a mill without power feed now. If your mill is 10 tpi instead of 5, well it just takes twice as long to make moves,You could also think of this as a good thing in some ways, It gives you a pretty fine feed when using large diameter fly cutters for example. The power feed units are designed and used when cutting, The full speed used for backing up to take another cut is just a side bonus. You could use 3 gears between the power feed and the leadscrew to double the rotational speed. 2 gears would also work but the feed direction would then be reversed. Or buy a 5 tpi unmachined leadscrew and nut and machine to suit your mill. Other than this problem how do you like that mill? I thought about ordering one before I bought what I now have.

Pete

loose nut
05-30-2010, 11:46 AM
I have one of the Align (cheapest version they have) brand power feds on mine, which is the kind they put on generic RF-45 type mills. See the link for specs, it doesn't take 2 min to travel the full table length. Check the rapid traverse speed (240 RPM's) and a 30 inch table won't go that far anyway, maybe around 24" or less even, so about 1 min. for full travel which doesn't happen that much.

http://www.align.com.tw/html/en/powerfeed/e_p-powerfeed3.htm