PDA

View Full Version : transmission line towers

aostling
06-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Walking in the noonday sun of Phoenix today I passed under a transmission line on South Mountain. I took this photo because the tower had what I thought was an awning shade over the insulators. But I suspect that isn't its purpose.

Were you a lineman for the county? What's your theory?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/Gilatransmissiontower.jpg

lakeside53
06-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Stops the puking crapping buzzards from dumping on the insulators.

Evan
06-02-2010, 12:06 AM
It keeps the birds from crapping on them and shorting them out. They can't rely on rain to clean the insulators.

Lakeside types faster...:)

Paul Alciatore
06-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Did any of the other towers have them?

Only thing I can think of is perhaps they were working on the tower structure above the lines and didn't want to drop anything on the insulators, perhaps breaking them.

aostling
06-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Did any of the other towers have them?

I did notice the shades on two nearby towers. Those further in the distance I could not tell due to the angle.

It hadn't occurred to me, but the crapping bird explanation satisfies Occam's Razor. The vultures around these parts are plentiful and well fed.

aostling
06-02-2010, 12:27 AM
I also wondered what fabric would have been used for the shades. With the high ambient and intense solar, the surface temperature could be too hot to touch, and there would be lots of UV. Would they use fiberglass?

John Stevenson
06-02-2010, 05:10 AM
Dead buzzard skin............

.RC.
06-02-2010, 05:32 AM
Dead buzzard skin............

Maybe they sent four Mexican labourers up there to work out what to do and only one came down?

Your Old Dog
06-02-2010, 07:19 AM
I'm gonna go with bird doo for $300.00.

davidh
06-02-2010, 08:43 AM
thats a pretty fine camera / lens set-up. great detail.

davidh (the blind guy):cool:

aostling
06-02-2010, 09:53 AM
thats a pretty fine camera / lens set-up. great detail.

Taken with my Olympus Pen E-P2, a Micro Four Thirds camera (2X crop factor), with the 14-42mm kit zoom. I have adapters so can also mount Leica, Minolta, and M42 Pentax lenses on it, using these old lenses in manual focus mode.

crancshafter
06-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Solarpower panels??
Just my 2-cent ;-)
CS

Guido
06-02-2010, 11:38 AM
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/Guido_album/wirelinesatMossLanding.jpg
Aostling-------

I'll see your bird spreaders and raise you to the question of what are these thingies. Saw them on a whole bunch of power lines in the Moss Landing area south of Monterey. Can remember seeing similar contraptions around Germany.

Groundwater researchers in the L.A. area could always find out of the way locations, in power switching stations which always included high towers. Birds loved to roost and build nests, which invited droppings all around the tower base. Included in the droppings were palm tree seeds which would take root. If we had spare time, it was no problem to choose a select, small palm, dig it up and transplant it to our backyard. Had several beautiful palms, for those liking palms.

--G

Duffy
06-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Why not phone the power company and ask them? I know that is REALLY against our creed, but you can get some surprising information that way, and then you could share it with us!

RancherBill
06-02-2010, 01:15 PM
I'll see your bird spreaders and raise you to the question of what are these thingies.

I've seen them also and wondered what they are for. The best answer I ever came up with was that they were flux capacitors or part of an encabulator system.:rolleyes: :D

wierdscience
06-02-2010, 02:18 PM
I was told the spiral things are squirrel guards.Left unchecked the tree rats use power lines as an interstate highway system.Supposed to keep them off the high tension and make them use the phone cable bundles instead.

Saw a Grey Squirrel(Stoopidus assicuss) make a circuit on top of a transformer the other day.Had no idea they were that flammable:D

Liger Zero
06-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Why not phone the power company and ask them? I know that is REALLY against our creed, but you can get some surprising information that way, and then you could share it with us!

:mad: Your man-card.... give it to me. *snip*

Someone will be around shortly to collect your tools.

Willy
06-02-2010, 02:53 PM
I've seen them also and wondered what they are for. The best answer I ever came up with was that they were flux capacitors or part of a encabulator system.:rolleyes: :D

Along with what Bill said, looking at the three transformers per pole I can see we're talking three phase power here, so the devices on each line are obviously sinusoidal phase detractors.;)

bborr01
06-02-2010, 02:54 PM
:mad: Your man-card.... give it to me. *snip*

Someone will be around shortly to collect your tools.

This stuff is way better than watching sit coms. (or is that sitcoms?)

I really get a lot out of this board besides machining tips. Right now I'm working on my sense of humor.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Brian

bborr01
06-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Oops, forgot in my last post.

I've been wondering for a while why the power companies have not utilized the tops of these towers for wind generator sites.

Seems to me like they could support at least some kind of generator.

I know that they run something like 200,000 volts, but maybe Evan or J Tiers or one of our other electrical genuises could come up with some kind of high voltage generator that could feed directly into the grid.

It would take out two of the main cost obstacles in wind power, namely the tower and the cost of getting the power to the grid.

Any thoughts?

Brian

Optics Curmudgeon
06-02-2010, 03:09 PM
The weights on the power lines are called Stockbridge dampers, they reduce wind induced "flapping" of the lines. they come in a variety of shapes. A common one is a triangle hanging down as though it is folded over the line. Common in windy areas, like the west coast.

Joe

aostling
06-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Allan-------
I'll see your bird spreaders and raise you to the question of what are these thingies. Saw them on a whole bunch of power lines in the Moss Landing area south of Monterey.

Your photo sort of looks like Moss Landing (north of Monterey). I worked there for several months in 1968 testing steam separators for GE Nuclear Power using steam rented from the power plant. There wasn't much at the site forty years ago. I fondly recall a funky seafood restaurant built on pilings, before there was a yacht harbor.

Oldbrock
06-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Just don't park your truck under those power lines for any length of time. Buddy of mine did and went back a few days later to get it and got a shock he will never forget. :eek: Peter

Lew Hartswick
06-02-2010, 04:47 PM
The weights on the power lines are called Stockbridge dampers, they reduce wind induced "flapping" of the lines. they come in a variety of shapes. A common one is a triangle hanging down as though it is folded over the line. Common in windy areas, like the west coast.

Joe
I've heard them called "vortex sheders". Any experts?
...lew...

darryl
06-02-2010, 06:44 PM
I know about squirrel cage fans, but I didn't know about squirrel fuses. What amperage rating are they- or do they come in various ratings, like Big Daddy Buster amps, Mega Momma amps, and Tiny Teen Squirrel Trippers-

Seems to me some other animals are also fuses- We have the Crowbar, the Rattail, and the Molectrocute which is the baby of the organic fusible link family.

:)

oil mac
06-02-2010, 07:05 PM
These postings are really shocking:D :eek:

Duffy
06-02-2010, 07:10 PM
In a FEEBLE attempt to redeem myself here goes:- I had a buddy who was district engineer for the Northeast region of Ontario Hydro. They have a 375 Kv line from Iroquois Falls to Klineburg, north of Toronto. He explained to me that he witnessed one of their line trucks, parked on the road shoulder, under the lines. A crewman fastened a cable from a grounding pole to the truck body and drew a continuous 8" arc to ground. His explanation was that the truck was one plate of a capacitor and that, combined with a voltage gradient of about 7500 volts per foot, was enough to create that arc.

bob_s
06-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Speaking of self-immolating animals, here we have popcorn pigeons - land on high-voltage lines and are immediately turned inside out.

But question is what is the transmission voltage of those lines?? I counted 27 sections per insulator, which I would assume to be about 800KV.

Weston Bye
06-02-2010, 08:03 PM
A couple weeks ago we (and the whole city) lost power in the middle of the night. I changed over my CPAP to the deep-cycle battery and inverter and went back to sleep. In the morning, still no power so on went the generator. Power finally came back at noon.

Turned out to be an attack on the substation by a kamikazie jihad suicide crusader raccoon.

darryl
06-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Sometimes there have been problems with power transmission systems where the fault couldn't be determined. In one instance it was determined that no animals were involved- the only thing it could have been is these certain berries- black currents.

Lew Hartswick
06-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Sometimes there have been problems with power transmission systems where the fault couldn't be determined. In one instance it was determined that no animals were involved- the only thing it could have been is these certain berries- black currents.

Groan. I had to read that twice to get it.
...lew...

Arcane
06-02-2010, 11:01 PM

Joe

This is a Stockbridge damper.http://www.dulhunty.com/an3_files/figs8.gif

They are used where aeolian vibration is a problem. I've seen weights simply hung midspan to stop (or at least reduce) the tendency of the phases to gallope and swing back and forth in the wind. For some reason the phases never seem to swing in time...makes it interesting if they happen to touch. :D