PDA

View Full Version : New mill from Sieg?

uncle pete
06-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Just recieved my latest issue of M.E. Mailed along with that was a copy of the latest cataloge from Axminster in the U.K. While I have no need for a new mill they are advertiseing whats called a Sieg X2 super mill. This is a brand new model, Or at least to me it is. Interesting looking machine and makes the normal mini mill look pretty dated, and no doubt would out perform them. Thought I'd mention this for anyone looking for a benchtop mill of this size.

Pete

RB211
06-03-2010, 12:50 AM
Hmm, interesting...

http://www.axminster.co.uk//images/products/600858_xl.jpg

John Stevenson
06-03-2010, 05:14 AM
It's dearer than a SX3 with 1000W motor and a Z axis handwheel you can reach ?????

Kibby
06-03-2010, 06:09 AM
Looks nice, but the control panel appears clumsy and it may be in the way. Also looks like the bubble-type of speed control switches. Probably not very durable. I sigh because what I see coming is, this mill is one of those must-haves and there will be a big list of mods needed to make this machine a good one.

uncle pete
06-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Yeah, There's definately those two points John, I was suprised at the price, 1,029 BPs- 893 BPs for the X3. I've yet to figure out why they put the Z axis handwheels up at the top other than cost.

Pete

RB211
06-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Yeah, There's definately those two points John, I was suprised at the price, 1,029 BPs- 893 BPs for the X3. I've yet to figure out why they put the Z axis handwheels up at the top other than cost.

Pete
The Z axis is on the top because the column has its own dovetails and is able to move forward and back.

John Stevenson
06-03-2010, 04:36 PM
The Z axis is on the top because the column has its own dovetails and is able to move forward and back.

Gotcha
The original nodding donkey,
I wondered what happened to them, they were built for Jet, as RB211 says they have the Z axis and column on it's own slides and dovetails.

Slightest bit of play in the slides and this puppy is waving in the wind.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/nodding_donkey.jpg

28/12/2007 Shanghai Sieg factory.

radish1us
06-04-2010, 12:50 AM
John, that pic you posted of the mills at the Sieg factory, are my eyes playing up, or are the columns mounted/bolted directly to the base ?

If the column is mounted directly to the base, then how can they move forward and backwards, wouldn't it be just the head going up and down, Z axis, the same as the X2 ?

These same mills show it's just the table, that does the normal X and Y movement, or am I missing something here ?

RB211
06-04-2010, 12:39 PM
John, that pic you posted of the mills at the Sieg factory, are my eyes playing up, or are the columns mounted/bolted directly to the base ?

If the column is mounted directly to the base, then how can they move forward and backwards, wouldn't it be just the head going up and down, Z axis, the same as the X2 ?

These same mills show it's just the table, that does the normal X and Y movement, or am I missing something here ?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/images/products/alt/600858_inset4_xl.jpg

S_J_H
06-04-2010, 01:39 PM
John's pic of all the mills at the factory seems to show 2 different models.

I'm not sure of the pro's and con's of having the mill head on a moveable x or y axis??
Anybody have thoughts on that?

Steve

Black_Moons
06-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Why on earth would you move the collumn forward on dovetails? Other then maybe to make moving/disassembling it easyer. (Balance the whole center of gravity.. the center of gravity praticaly IS the dovetails on the front of the collumn of my IH mill (Aka Giant RF-45))

radish1us
06-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks RB 211, much clearer picture, understand now.

uncle pete
06-05-2010, 07:19 PM
After reviewing that picture and if I needed a mill in that size I certainly wouldn't be buying that mill. as mentioned by John it's a poor design imo. Vertical mills are limber enough without purposely designing more into them.

Pete