PDA

View Full Version : New shop status

Mark Hockett
06-04-2010, 01:48 AM
After months of clearing land, deciding which building to buy and getting all the permits, my wife and I are finally assembling the new shop. It has taken us 6 days of work to get to this stage of framing,
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/mahockett/IMG00142-20100603-2004.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/mahockett/IMG00144-20100603-2005.jpg

The shop is 40' X 60' with 16' high walls. The slab has 90 yards of concrete, rebar 24" on center, fibermesh in the mix and is a minimum 6" thick. We plan to finish the framing this weekend and start on the insulation, roofing and siding the following weekend.

The building was purchased from MBMI, http://mbmisteelbuildings.com/ , and has been very easy for my wife and I to assemble, its like a giant Erector set. MBMI was great to work with and I would highly recommend them if you are thinking about a steel building. The plans and instruction manual were very easy to follow and the building kit was very complete, even included all the nuts, bolts, doors, gutters and down spouts.

doctor demo
06-04-2010, 02:05 AM
After months of clearing land,, my wife and I are finally assembling the new shop. We plan to finish the framing this weekend and start on the insulation, roofing and siding the following weekend.

I guess I will be a little late to help build if I come up in July.
Maybe I can bend pipe or pull wire or?
Lookin good Mark.

Steve

hardtail
06-04-2010, 03:44 AM
Always enjoyable seeing a new building going up........great you have a good kit.

I realize for many of us our needs are entirely different but I consider you are building the perfect starter shop for size.......and not because mines bigger.....grin.......oh contraire a wee bit smaller but I would never consider going smaller than that now and you'll love the 16' walls........do I hear bridge crane?.........LOL Metal structure definately a huge plus.......

motorworks
06-04-2010, 05:48 AM
Looks great :) :)

garagemark
06-04-2010, 07:16 AM
Not big enough. ;)

I have a 36 X 50 (block, 13' ceilings), and as God is my witness, it is TOO SMALL! I have already built a "West Wing" 16 X 22 on one end to house the MGB and Harley. But still I am full up with stuff and machines.

Seriously, you will have a riot in a place that size, I promise. My friends call my place the "Garage Mahal". The only drawback to a building of any significant size, though it may be a plus for some, is that if you are prone to forget tools or a widget, you WILL walk many miles in a day. :mad:

But really seriously- I am happy for anyone who gets a big toy room (assuming this is not a business location for you). It is Zen for me, whether I am doing anything in it or not. Just being inside, smelling the smells, working out the furniture arrangement, or ...... Nothing like it.

Keep posting progress please.

PS Nice to hear of the war department giving a hand. Sounds like my wife, and believe me, we are minority husbands when it comes to the ladies having anything to do with our "afflictions".

andy_b
06-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Looks great! I wish I had a place to put up a 40x60 building. :(

andy b.

wierdscience
06-04-2010, 08:58 AM
6 days?Pretty quick,that's the good part about having women on the job,they don't throw away the instructions:D

Mcgyver
06-04-2010, 09:39 AM
40'x60 - Mark you lucky dog! how about insulation and heat...whats the plan there....I can't imagine you're building a palace only to suffer inside :D

lakeside53
06-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Drooling and speechless with envy;)

rockrat
06-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Sweeeeeet! I have a 40 x 60 and love it. You however will have taller ceilings than I.

Keep us posted. Even those of us with shops are green with envy.

rock~

Alphawolf45
06-04-2010, 07:06 PM
My hobby shop is 60 by 60 foot steel building with 16 foot tall at the eves and somewhat taller in the gable ends....I put a 20 by 20 foot room upstairs (for electronics hobby) in the middle of the building and another 20 by 20 upstairs storage deck beside it........I didnt put a bathroom in the shop is worst mistake I made, didnt realize I'd spend so much time out there...I've had the shop 10 years and its full..

Black_Moons
06-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Damn you people with your 40x shops made outta steel able to support giant gantry cranes and all, Don't you know how.. *thinks up excuse*... Damaging to the envorment it is? think of all that grass you killed under the concrete! horrable really...

You should donate it to me right away. I'll plant grass on the roof to reduce its ecofootprint.

rockrat
06-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Damn you people with your 40x shops made outta steel able to support giant gantry cranes and all, Don't you know how.. *thinks up excuse*... Damaging to the envorment it is? think of all that grass you killed under the concrete! horrable really...

You should donate it to me right away. I'll plant grass on the roof to reduce its ecofootprint.

I'll donate you all the grass that was under my building before I installed it. I dont like mowing it anyway.

rock~

HAP
06-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Nice shop! I put up the same size building 3 years ago. 72 yards of concrete with all of the engineered foundation stuff. For me, the insulation was the hardest thing; the sightest breeze brings progress to a halt. And the roof... you really have to stay focused because with that insulation laid in place, the mind thinks its a solid surface to walk on:eek: Keep us posted.
HAP

darryl
06-05-2010, 12:15 AM
New shop eh- my shop has gotten smaller. Right now I have about 1 1/2 sq ft to move around in :)

Looks good Mark. It'll be nice to start fresh with nothing but room- soon you'll have no room for nothing!

gr8life
06-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Very nice but I would think your wife could finish the remainder by herself or w/ a few of her friends. You would wind up w/ a much nicer shop. Frilly curtains, a few nice area rugs, cute little pictures of flowers on the walls and a little vase in the bathroom.
good luck
ed

abn
06-05-2010, 02:51 AM
Nice man...I envy you.

Jack F
06-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Mark,

That's going to be a beautiful shop when done. I bet you can't wait to move out of the garage. Or is this just for your new acquisitions?;) ;)

Jack.

Jim Shaper
06-05-2010, 05:42 PM
I'd hate to see what you guys are paying for heat with those huge buildings up north.

I'd love the space, but I don't know that I could stomach the utility bills for one of them big pole barns.

lakeside53
06-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Up north? Mark's is in Seattle... and a heck of a lot warmer in the winter than where you live ... and no AC in the summer ;)

Ultility bills around here are actually pretty reasonable.

hardtail
06-05-2010, 10:18 PM
I'd hate to see what you guys are paying for heat with those huge buildings up north.

I'd love the space, but I don't know that I could stomach the utility bills for one of them big pole barns.

Alberta has the highest utility prices in Canada........living directly on top of lakes of oil.........go figure

I pay $450-600 per year to heat my house and shop on coal........my father pays up to $300 per month to heat his house in town on natural gas during the winter

I'm sure Marks area heats a lot w wood? Course w his CNC stuff he might require a bit more stability?

Jim Shaper
06-05-2010, 10:24 PM
I pay about 300 a season to heat my shop at 55F or higher all winter with natural gas. It's also 1/3 the size of the building being built in this thread.

Mcgyver
06-05-2010, 10:57 PM
My hobby shop is 60 by 60 foot steel building with 16 foot tall at the eves and somewhat taller in the gable ends....I put a 20 by 20 foot room upstairs (for electronics hobby) in the middle of the building and another 20 by 20 upstairs storage deck beside it........I didnt put a bathroom in the shop is worst mistake I made, didnt realize I'd spend so much time out there...I've had the shop 10 years and its full..

pics? sounds like quite a shop - would like to see it

boslab
06-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Its a great looking shop, i looked and suffered pangs of the green eyed monster! however it seems a reasonable capital investment but if you were putting up such a large building why didnt you include long rails down the length for a gantry crane, i.e double cross beam on wheels, manual or electric? it would seem you plan on some big toys so an overhead crane or hoist would be useful, easier than trying to retrofit one i think.
This isnt a criticism just a suggestion either way itll be great, well done, plenty of room for, oh i dont know 25 POS bridgeports!.
I formally claim the new unit of size as the Bridgeport, it will be as follows:
My shop 30'X30' = 8 Bridgeports, standing room 1MicroBridgeport, possibly a Nanobridgeport, Your shop 20 Centibridgeports at least, you could even have 2 floors with a 4' roof raise!
omg i must remember to pick up a lottery ticket.
mark