PDA

View Full Version : Garage Security Warning

Pherdie
06-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Like many here, I work out of a garage based shop which is equipped with an automatic garage door opener. Recently, I learned of a posting on YouTube, warning (or instructing how-to, depending on your moral standards) of a method of defeat of automatic garage door openers, allowing for possible unauthorized access:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMz1tXBVT1s

While some folks are using a tie wrap on the opener trolley to defeat this method of attack, I felt it defeated an important safety device. I plan to use two lengths of angle iron, one on the top edge of the garage door, another affixed to the door header, that overlap when the door is closed, denying the use of this style of attack.

Fred

goose
06-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Good warning, and good idea, thanks.

When I had the garage door style with the row of windows at the top, I didn't like the idea of people being able to look in and see my stuff, but I liked the light it provided. What I ended up doing was misting the windows with a very light, dusting coat of white spray paint.

Gary

Weston Bye
06-04-2010, 07:45 PM
When I wired my house, I put the circuit for the garage door openers on a separate breaker (breaker panel conveniently located in garage), so that I could shut off the openers when I went on vacation. In addition, a c-clamp on the overhead door track serves as a backup.

Rookie machinist
06-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Best thing to do is have insurance and an alarm. I have the old style fold up door with 2 pieces of rebar I stick through the door and into the garage floor. My bigest fear is having my tools stolen.

John Stevenson
06-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Can't see the problem, over here the garage door opener is the missus.
Anyone stealing her will soon return her.

An electric door opener has to be the hight of idleness or is is to save fuel leaving the engine running in that 7 litre gas guzzling tank whilst you get out to open the door?

Weston Bye
06-04-2010, 08:24 PM
An electric door opener has to be the hight of idleness or is is to save fuel leaving the engine running in that 7 litre gas guzzling tank whilst you get out to open the door?

None of the above. It's to keep from mussing my hair during a frog strangler rainstorm.

rockrat
06-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the warning. I had tied mine up with wire when the local police told me about the issue.

I talk with the police often. I find that a discussion with them now and then, inviting them into the shop and such helps me out. They have pointed out a few things I didnt think about. Plus, they enjoy seeing what I'm up to. We talk about all sorts of stuff and coffee is normaly served.

The plus side to this is I see them driving around the block and slowing as they go around the shop. They watch things for me. I couldnt pay for service like that. Now every once in a while I fix something for them for free. But thats cheap insurance.

rock~

squirrel
06-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Why worry about the garage door, if they can walk around my shop with out tripping on all the junk on the floor more power to them. My biggest concern is a crack head breaking in and tripping and falling on top of my Hout tool cart that has alot of CAT 40's with razor sharp endmills and drill bits then impailing they doped head. Sadly if the doper manages to live they would be able to file a lawsuit in civil court.

doctor demo
06-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Fred, Your title scared Me. I was thinking the worst. Then I read the thd. and was calmed.
A friend of Mine was burglarized while on vacation 2 weeks ago. He had His adult Daughter house sitting, but they broke in while She was out shopping.The thieves went in through the front door. His Neighbor was robbed a year ago. Broke out a street facing bedroom window.

I have had 3 vehicles broken into , one truck stolen and 2 different houses broken into in the last 25 years.

I just found out that a guy that I used to work with has been tied to 25 burglaries in the El Dorado Hills area, I thought He was an honest guy the 5 or so years I was around Him
Let's be careful out there!

Steve

KIMFAB
06-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Just disable the door. Parking a car in the garage is overrated anyway and cuts into available tool room.

4GSR
06-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Any theif that breaks into my garage will have to figure out how to get things past my 20" Lodge & Shiply lathe that at the garage door when open.:D

Ken

JoeLee
06-04-2010, 11:28 PM
My neighbors garage door would open by itself almost daily at different time intervals. She has an Overhead door opener. Finally I changed the security codes in the controller and both the remotes and it solved the problem. Must be some stray RF was tripping it. Now it's her wireless doorbell, it rings every now and then by itself, I suspect stray RF is the culprit there also.

JL.............

Falcon67
06-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Easy - no opener, big trailer in front of door, crossbar locked outside of the track.

wierdscience
06-05-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm not worried,if they can get over the iron fence and past the hounds they deserve a reward:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/wierdscience/lghr0326.jpg

RKW
06-05-2010, 12:13 AM
That must be an old(er) door opener if it opens from "stray RF" as you say. More likely it is someone else's door on the same frequency and also an old opener remote. Newer versions have encrypted data, revolving codes, or use spread spectrum. I would replace the controller completely after an incident like that even though you changed the channel. Folks who break into places also can keep a pile of remotes and just keep changing channels until someone's door opens.

If I had room left in my garage I would love to be able to use it for a car ;-)

As an extra measure I keep padlocks in the tracks and the cross bars.

My neighbors garage door would open by itself almost daily at different time intervals. She has an Overhead door opener. Finally I changed the security codes in the controller and both the remotes and it solved the problem. Must be some stray RF was tripping it. Now it's her wireless doorbell, it rings every now and then by itself, I suspect stray RF is the culprit there also.

JL.............

Arcane
06-05-2010, 12:20 AM

JL.............

My garage door would do the same thing, it's quite old though...I installed it in the mid eighties. I cured it by snipping the little antenna off. Circumcised it!:D After that, I had to be right there in front of it before it would open with the remote but that just ment I couldn't trigger it a block away and hit the open garage door on the run. I tried changing codes but that didn't work so I took the fast and easy way to fix it and have never regretted it.

RKW
06-05-2010, 12:29 AM
That's surprising, since it should have rendered it useless. The length of any antenna is related to the frequencies it receives or transmits (1/2, 1/4, etc.). Maybe there is more antenna wire behind where you clipped it off and it was longer than it needed to be?

Hey, RF is just black magic anyway.

My garage door would do the same thing, it's quite old though...I installed it in the mid eighties. I cured it by snipping the little antenna off. Circumcised it!:D After that, I had to be right there in front of it before it would open with the remote but that just ment I couldn't trigger it a block away and hit the open garage door on the run. I tried changing codes but that didn't work so I took the fast and easy way to fix it and have never regretted it.

Arcane
06-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Quite possible, RKW. I have long since misplaced the remote and can't even try it anymore.

Evan
06-05-2010, 01:22 AM
I leave my garage open. That way if somebody wants to steal anything they do less damage. Besides, it's hard to stop a chainsaw when you aren't home. Around here the common tactic is to steal a car and then drive it through the wall to get in. That is in town though. We have other ways to discourage anybody from hanging around our hill here.

barts
06-05-2010, 01:23 AM
My garage is such a mess that they'd have to clean it up first to steal anything ;)

- Bart

Bguns
06-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Antenna length is important for maximum performance transmitting or receiving.

I often use a shorter than normal antenna for testing receivers.

At 2 feet from transmitter, I do not want maximum receive performance.

Transmitters do like proper antenna length.

A shorter receive antenna will only reduce range that remote can operate. Will not hurt anything.

Most likely the transmit antenna is also not book perfect length... Might have a built in matching network, to allow for the mismatch.

winchman
06-05-2010, 08:56 AM
My five minute low-cost fix:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/winchman/Garagedoorsign002.jpg

A piece of threaded rod, two nuts, a recycled piece of aircore plastic, and two zip ties.

I may redo the sign to read: No Thieves

And, I'll put the pull cord back up where it can't be reached. :D

Your Old Dog
06-05-2010, 12:10 PM

And I thought you people were civilized. What the hell do you do when it's snowing and the wife ain't shoveled the drive yet? or, it's raining and she forget s to open the garage door for you?

winchman
06-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Our house sits at an angle on the property, so you cannot see the door from the end of the driveway. My wife is used to pushing the button when she passes the mailbox so the door will be open by the time she gets there.

If I'm in the garage with the door up, it'll cycle part way down as she's coming up the drive. I figure it's just a matter of time until she comes home just as I'm backing my 350Z out. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/images/icons/icon9.gif

laddy
06-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks Pherdie for the warning and thanks Winchman for a quit fix!!! My featherboard sign says "Move the Courthouse" No rod just wire ties. Brilliant! Thanks Fred

ckelloug
06-05-2010, 01:22 PM
As tool enthusiasts, we have the perfect anti-theft solution: Only own objects that are too heavy to steal. The last time the thieves got into my shop due to an unlocked door (my fault), they avoided the machine tools and reached behind a 100 pound rotary table on the shelf to get worn out woodworking tools.

I pity the fool who goes over to my lab trying to empty the place. Without a dock height truck, you can't get stuff out the dock door and nothing is small enough to fit though the walk-in door. I'd like to see somebody try to jack my 3'x5' surface plate.

Pherdie
06-05-2010, 01:27 PM
That's a clever approach, Winchman, thanks for sharing.

Responding to a couple of other comments, I use my garage for my vehicles. In this climate, summers can be brutal with temperatures sometimes above 110 degrees and often in the 100s; that really takes a toll on vehicles as they get sooooo much hotter. Getting in a vehicle kept in the garage during that heat is a lot more livable. Second, and equally as important, car burglaries are epidemic and replacing vehicle glass can get pricy. It's also comforting to get up in the morning and still find my vehicles where I left them.

If someone really wants in, they can get in. There's no stopping that. I'm just trying to discourage the opportunist, the neighbors 16 year old delinquent kid, who'll rattle the doors or look for some quick easy way in and then burn the house down behind him. Hopefully the few steps I take will make him look for an easier victim. I can also possibly show some degree of 'due diligence' to my insurance company in the event of a loss.

Reality is, I am getting to an age where I may not be able to recover from a significant loss and I'm not very eager to find out if that's the case. I'm now retired, living on a fixed income, and have passed my peak earning years, so new acquisitions will be few and hanging on to what I have becomes more important. Insurance only goes so far and you can go broke betting on losing.

Fred