PDA

View Full Version : Old South Bend Lathe

Dale
06-04-2010, 11:17 PM
I have a old? 16 inch * 12 ft bed South Bend lathe. I have had it for possibly 35 years. I have not used it for several years. It all works quite well. but the ways at the headstock are worn very much and in back gear the gears are quite loud. Several years ago I purchased A Monarch lathe which is old (1941) but is in very good condition. I would like to get rid of the South Bend. Is it worth anything, any suggestions how to sell it or should I sell to the scrap metal yard?

doctor demo
06-04-2010, 11:55 PM
I have a old? 16 inch * 12 ft bed South Bend lathe. I have had it for possibly 35 years. I have not used it for several years. It all works quite well. but the ways at the headstock are worn very much and in back gear the gears are quite loud. Several years ago I purchased A Monarch lathe which is old (1941) but is in very good condition. I would like to get rid of the South Bend. Is it worth anything, any suggestions how to sell it or should I sell to the scrap metal yard?
Move the headstock to the right about four feet, put a vfd on it...problem solved:D .
Seriously though, try to avoid the scrap man. Someone will find value in it, either whole or in parts to save another one.
Maybe someone with a press ram and or pump needs a lathe and is willing to trade .
Steve

Michael Hall
06-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Dale did you get my PM on the cylinder and pump?

Michael

Dale
06-05-2010, 02:03 AM
Dale did you get my PM on the cylinder and pump?

Michael
Michael, I never seen any PM from you. I am relatively new to this forum, maybe I do not how or where to find it. Any way I think I'll have a cylinder custom built and make a power unit mysef. Thanks, Dale

doctor demo
06-05-2010, 02:43 AM
Michael, I never seen any PM from you. I am relatively new to this forum, maybe I do not how or where to find it.

Top right side where it says Welcome in bold. Just below that in red it says Private Messages.

Steve

squirrel
06-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Scraping it is the best, you will spend more time messing around taking it apart, taking up floor space than what you will get out of it. Sadly the people that need the parts don't want to spend any money on them.

Tony Ennis
06-05-2010, 10:39 AM
There's a 16" South Bend near Louisville someone's been trying to sell for a long time. He hasn't figured out no one wants an enormous old lathe for $2,000.

Bill736
06-09-2010, 11:24 PM
I have in my shop a circa 1916 Canedy-Otto 16 inch lathe. I've never hooked a motor to it , and it was probably line shaft driven the last time it was used. Some of the parts appear to have been made by South Bend for Canedy-Otto. I doubt that I will ever use it, but I like the looks of it and I'm willing to give up much needed shop space to keep it. I'm in the process of reorganizing my workshop, a three year undertaking thus far, and I vowed this time to make space to display the machines and instruments that I kept simply because I like them. I'm retired, and I don't have to make a living from my shop, so I'm indulging myself ! Besides, the lathe is a grand old piece of American iron , and there's not a Chinese made piece on it !

garyphansen
06-09-2010, 11:30 PM
List it on Ebay with a starting price of $.99 and see what the market will bear. Chances are you will get more than scrap price and you will not have to move it. Gary P. Hansen

Tobias-B
06-09-2010, 11:56 PM
yeah, this is 'home shop'- stuff that's too old, worn- out, or quirky?

Some of us love it! ".... and you made it with THAT??!?? wow..."

Others make it a project to ressurect it, rebuild it, or remake it.

I like the ebay idea- if no- one here wants it...

my .02,

t