PDA

View Full Version : stuck camlock lathe chuck

stoneaxe
06-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Lathe newbie here- I recieved my new to me acra 1340 and wish to remove the chuck- unlocked the cam pins but it is not moving- and I am reluctant to whack on it for fear of hurting the bearings- what is the reccomended procedure, please? :) No rust or anything but it may have some dry cosmoline, I sure cleaned enough off the rest of the lathe.:)

Dr Stan
06-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Get yourself a big dead blow mallet. If that's not available use a 2X4 and a 5 lb hammer.

BTW, when you go to mount any work holding device make sure it is clean and free of oil.

Jim Shaper
06-05-2010, 08:44 PM
You've probably got a well fitted chuck from the sounds of it.

As was said; get a dead blow, put some plywood on the ways, and whack the top of the chuck body, rotate and repeat a few times and she'll pop loose.

Btw, camloc chucks are supposed to seat on the taper. If you don't have this issue every time you change chucks, you probably need to shave off some of the backing plate.

Bill Pace
06-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Agree with whats been said -- in fact I have fashioned a piece of hardwood to keep by my lathe that fits behind the chuck on mine, to give it a bump every time I remove it, as it'll sticks slightly each time.

Once you get it off, clean the surfaces with a scotchbrite or similar, and while it may stick a little every time (like mine) it should be easier to get off

stoneaxe
06-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks, folks! Seems the obvious way to do it, but I was reluctant because my Dad , who worked building aircraft engines ,put the fear into me about an impact load on a bearing... I guess he must have come across guys on the line using ball peen hammers, etc! :D I ran bit of Kroil on the joint, tomorrow I will whack it with a hammer and block of wood.
Sometime you can forget just how much knowledge something takes....
I have been a pro high end woodworker for thirty five years(yacht interiors, one off custom furniture, etc) , and could do that sort of stuff in my sleep- now with a new avocation even the simplest things are cause for head-scratching.:)

stoneaxe
06-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Success, chuck popped right off!

sidneyt
06-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Now try putting the chuck back on the lathe, put a ground pin or similar in the chuck and measure the TIR. Is it ~.003" or less 1" out from the chuck? If it is more than that it is probably not the chuck. I had the same issue with my chuck the first time I put it back on the lathe. It can be tricky to get the chuck mounted on the D1-4 so that the TIR is <=.003". I would have measured the TIR before I took off the chuck. Oh well, this may not be a problem for you.

Black_Moons
06-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Note: the block of wood or plastic on the ways is VERY important.. Next lesson: how to take the chuck off without droping it on your fingers :)

A lathe big enough to take a D1-x chuck will be big enough to have bearings rated for thousands of pounds... at 0rpm anyway.

dave5605
06-07-2010, 03:52 PM
That chuck should also have a prick mark (or two) on it that matches one(s) on the spindle flange wo you can put it back on in the same orientation and hopefully minimize runout. If you are real lucky it is one of the adjusttru ones where you can dial in the chuck vs the d1 back plate.

stoneaxe
06-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks, I will run a test with the chuck mounted in each of the camlock positions and see with combination gives the least runout.

EddyCurr
08-31-2010, 01:35 AM
Before applying the deadblow or lumber to the circumference, perhaps
tighten a piece of dowel (round stock, broom handle or ...) in the chuck
and give a tug or three.

Insert plywood or something similar underneath covering the ways for
insurance in case the chuck gets away from you.

dp
08-31-2010, 01:45 AM
It probably wouldn't hurt to chuck a wooden dowel in there and move the empty tail stock quill around it. That will keep it from landing on the ways while you figure out what to do with the hammer and 2x4 :)

doctor demo
08-31-2010, 02:23 AM
I like to chuck a piece of pipe 18'' long with about 6'' sticking out of the chuck to hang on to, and when the chuck is loose ya have a handle sticking out the back for easy handling.

Steve