PDA

View Full Version : Oil recovery ideas?

thedieter
06-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Are there any ideas that will help recover the oil that is coming out of the damaged well?

I have a couple that may work but there may be better ones:

I have not been able to read everything but I am wondering if anyone has considered the following methods to collect the oil coming from the well:

1) Use a large fabric sleeve weighted down around the BOP, extending to the surface where the oil could be pumped into tankers.

2) Place a large tent-like dome with weights around the bottom over the oil plume and allow it to float to the surface when the oil boyancy exceeds the weight. When the tent reaches the surface the oil could be pumped into tankers. When one starts to rise up, another to be placed in turn.

A large consideration has to be given to the effects of weather on what is to occur at the well site in the event of a hurricane.

It may be possible to use the above ideas until a permanent plug is in place.

Best regards, Jack

jugs
06-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedieter
I have not been able to read everything but I am wondering if anyone has considered the following methods to collect the oil coming from the well:

1) Use a large fabric sleeve weighted down around the BOP, extending to the surface where the oil could be pumped into tankers.

2) Place a large tent-like dome with weights around the bottom over the oil plume and allow it to float to the surface when the oil boyancy exceeds the weight. When the tent reaches the surface the oil could be pumped into tankers. When one starts to rise up, another to be placed in turn.

A large consideration has to be given to the effects of weather on what is to occur at the well site in the event of a hurricane.

It may be possible to use the above ideas until a permanent plug is in place.

Best regards, Jack

Well done jack.

Now thats an idea that has some merit for the future

would have to be cone shape near top to allow for expansion,

could be done in "short" (500' ?)sections for transport, zipped / bolted / welded on site.

some form of inflatable flotation ring at top of each section (so buoyancy can be adjusted)

A couple of complete "kits" long enough for local conditions to be kept on standby @ a central location each marine oilfield, for rapid deployment. (Dedicated ships eg- refurbished ocean going stern trawlers)

you'd need some bloody big pumps

don't know what you'd do about the gas :eek:

to late for this cock-up, but may reduce / stop the environmental damage in the future, given our incessant thirst for oil. :mad: