PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Build This Thing...

Liger Zero
06-07-2010, 05:03 PM
I can visualize it in my mind.

The part is an insulator. It has a central fiberglass rod over which I put a thick rubber material. The very ends where the rod protrudes needs to be deflashed.

I can do that with a hollowmill. I do not want to tie up my lathe with this job so...

Somehow I need to attach that hollow mill direct to a motor that will be actuated with a foot-switch. It is one of those motors with a brake drum attached. Stomp on the switch it goes VOOM then take your foot off it stops.

The hollow-mill is a #2MT (short) shank... I need some way to attach this directly to the motor.

I assume that they sell chucks or adaptors or some nonsense like that... Something that goes over the motor shaft so I can mount the shank... but I don't know what to call it or where to source it.

I am working on the fixture/positioning system separately. The motor with the hollow-mill will fit on this.

Peter.
06-07-2010, 05:16 PM
For a tool holder on the motor you could just find a MT2 tailstock ram and bore it to fit the motor shaft.

Liger Zero
06-07-2010, 05:20 PM
For a tool holder on the motor you could just find a MT2 tailstock ram and bore it to fit the motor shaft.

I thought of that moments after I posted this. I can order an entire tailstock as a "spare part" from Little Machine Shop.

...and now that I'm looking at it my hollow-mill can be detached from the shank... somehow. I should contact Genesee Tooling before I wreck it. :D

Thanks for the idea though Peter.