PDA

View Full Version : How to remove adhesive nameplate?

Waterlogged
06-07-2010, 05:23 PM
I picked up a nice Atmos clock recently at a great price. The only negative is the nameplate which was awarded to the original owner about 40 years ago. I've tried to use a hair dryer to soften it and also tried to get a razor blade behind it but I'm not having much luck. The adhesive is hard to penetrate but not rock hard or brittle. I can't tell if it is double sided tape or something like contact cement. I believe there is a laquer finish over the metal so I don't want to remove it in the process if at all possible. Anyone have any tricks to removing it that they would like to share?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/drewlp/atmos.jpg

Your Old Dog
06-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Some guys on the Harley bike forum said you can remove the cheap reflective shields with fishing line by sawing back and forth. Not sure if they meant monofilament or something like Spyder Wire which is abbrasive enough to ruin the top guys (even agate guys). If you had good hands, you might also try using jeweler coping saw blades and angleing it towards the plate you dont' want. I would invest in some Spyder wire first and try sawing with that first.

I think you'll find out it is held on by a gummy type glue. Brittle glues would release the plate either from a sharp wrap or even just difference in temperature. Search out machine engraving supplys and I'm sure you'll find the traits the look for in a good glue for these plates.

gvasale
06-07-2010, 06:19 PM
try a hair dryer and WD 40.

wierdscience
06-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Couple layers of cotton cloth and a steam iron maybe?

PeteF
06-07-2010, 06:38 PM
I know you said you tried a hair drier but I'd suggest just more heat, carefully use a heat gun with a nozzle to direct the air just on to the plate, and with minimal heat and maximum patience try to pries the plate off by slipping a blade under it then levering up.

I'm not a clock person personally but love those Atmos clocks, nice find. Out of interest I'd been keen if you could PM me with where you found it and roughly what you paid. I often see them in window fronts in expensive duty-free outlets and always stop to look at them. Just brilliant engineering.

Dr Stan
06-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Is there a local jeweler/clock repairman who may be of assistance?

Waterlogged
06-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Pete,

The Atmos was $100 on CL. Appears to keep good time, just need to address the plaque. Next steps....more heat, dental floss or fishing line and tlc. Wish me luck. Thanks all for the advise. I'll post results.

Your Old Dog
06-07-2010, 08:03 PM
.................................. Thanks all for the advise. I'll post results.

Okay but keep in mind how they cut granite and marble with a thin wire coated in diamond dust. Any fine strong string like Spyder will do the trick. You got some fishing buddies? Ask them for 5 or 6 feet to play with.

PeteF
06-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Pete,

The Atmos was $100 on CL. Appears to keep good time, just need to address the plaque. Next steps....more heat, dental floss or fishing line and tlc. Wish me luck. Thanks all for the advise. I'll post results.

Holy Crap! You got that Atmos for a hundred bucks! Good job!

I'd be careful about using anything abrasive to remove that plate, I'd suggest starting gently with heat and yeah, maybe fishing line if the heat doesn't affect it, then ramping it up from there. The clock is worth much more than what you paid so take care and good luck.

Tinkerer
06-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Nice find. I'd think about getting some thin shim stock of just have a new piece engraved with something and laminate it over the top.

jeremy13
06-07-2010, 09:04 PM
2nd or 3rd fishing line

lakeside53
06-07-2010, 09:16 PM
heat.. adhesives are only sticky in a small range. heat it up, and it will come off.

Boucher
06-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Use an old clothing iron. Set it on linen and hold it flat on the tag. The glue will soften and the tag can be removed.

Bob Ford
06-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Freeze it with dry ice. It should pop off.

Bob

true temper
06-08-2010, 02:55 AM
My guess is a large solder iron, they get really hot and will transfer the heat to the plate first.

RKW
06-08-2010, 12:01 PM
I might try a bit of acetone in a syringe and let it wick into the seam.

Alistair Hosie
06-08-2010, 12:11 PM
I second heat and wd 40 too Alistair

Seastar
06-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I have found that "Goo Gone" works really well on all sorts of adhesives.
I have removed double sided tape and many other glues with it.
It does not work on acrylic glues.
Bill

AlexK
06-10-2010, 02:17 AM
Try 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover

gnm109
06-10-2010, 10:38 AM
I try to raise one corner of the placard and then use WD-40 and dental floss to work those things off. In the alternative, a dose of lighter fluid will soften most adhesives on placards like that. Then come back in with the dental floss.

Go slowly and it will eventually come off.

reggie_obe
06-10-2010, 11:45 AM
The plate is held on with a double face adhesive tape. I hope the clock mechanism was properly secured in its original carton before transporting it. Locking the balance wheel is not sufficient for moving the clock more a couple of inches for cleaning.

Circlip
06-10-2010, 12:04 PM
YODs fishing line is the way to get it off, ask any "Technician" how they remove the Logo Badges on cars. Then wipe with a solvent when you've got the plate off. FYI, the suspension strip supporting the rotary "ballance" weight, whilst reasonably tough is useless when kinked.

Regards Ian