PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with mill lubrication pump

Gun
06-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Hi all hoping for some advice on this pump on the mill.

My oil reservoir is constantly empty. I fill it up, pump it once or twice, then within a few hours the whole thing is empty, like it somehow continues drawing oil on its own.

At first I noticed a leak so I pulled it apart and fixed it, it just needed a new o ring. I figured that would solve the problem but no, the leak is fixed, but its still sucking away all my oil :confused:

Thoughts, advice, would be much appreciated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/tony10/P6020002.jpg

Black_Moons
06-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Maybe look around for the puddle of oil as your first clue? (after wiping up all the existing puddles, refill and wait for a new one to appear)

Tobias-B
06-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Mine has the opposite problem- I pump and I pump and I never run out!

heh

I'd look carefully at any of the lines that run below the
height of the sump- a wear hole or a pinch would do it...

hth

t

Gun
06-10-2010, 01:39 AM
Its hard to say if a leak still exists somewhere. Yes there does appear to be oil dripping from a number of places however this could be because the pump is drawing excess oil to a particular place which is then running off.

I could be wrong but I don't think there is a leak. I think the pump is somehow maintaining constant draw through some kind of air lock capillary action. Maybe it needs some way of some air escaping, but then it probably would not work at all .....

Dont know, thats why i'm posting Lol

tdmidget
06-10-2010, 01:52 AM
I would be suspicious of those home made lube lines. The originals may have had an orifice or other restriction. The line from the pump to the manifold is a rather bizarre , tortuous path and obviously leaking. Consult the OEM and ask about restrictors, orifices, check valves in the pump, etc. It's obviously seen some other than factory repair.

Gun
06-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Not sure how I will go speaking to the manufacturer as I do not speak Chinese, however I will talk to the distributor and see what he says.

Like you suggest I think this is some kind of extra, although it is a factory extra. I suggest this because there is no reference whatsoever to the pump in the manual or the exploded diagram or parts list, so I really do not even know where exactly those lines go. A fair guess would be the 4 vertical slideways, one for the leadscrew, and the other .. I dont know. The table slideway always appear to be dry I lubricate them with a paintbrush.

Interesting about the check valve have not seen anything that looks like any kind of check valve.

Did some research, this concerns me a bit. What do you guys think ...

I think this is some kind of technical college and the guy is talking about one of their machines

"Saddle Lubrication

Section 4 in Figure 8 shows the front view of the vertical milling machine. In this view you will see the saddle and knee lubrication components. This system lubricates the saddle and table-drive mechanisms, knee and saddle ways and the saddle and table ways. The lubrication system consists of a hand-operated pump. The pump maintains constant pressure to the lubrication system. As the oil in the system gets used, the pump allows more oil to flow. The pump handle should be actuated initially until the handle no longer reaches the bottom of its stroke. As long as the machine is in operation the handle should not be allowed to bottom out. The reservoir can be filled through the filler cap on the saddle."

This is by design ????

Thats stupid it can't be, does not make sense.

tdmidget
06-10-2010, 10:25 AM
If those lines were factory installed, they would have been painted like the pump. You say this machine has 4vertical (knee) ways? I can't visuallize that, a picture would help. My guess is those lines are wide open at the ends, not even connected. The pump should have, or maybe the original manifold had, a spring loaded valve to keep the oil from flowing though the pump at all times.

abn
06-11-2010, 03:44 AM
Does make sense...plenty of machines with "one shot" pumps like the Bijur on my Tree mill. Pulling the handle out sucks oil into the spring loaded pump...like a spring loaded syringe...as oil flows out the spring relaxes until the the handle returns. Pull it out again to load the pump again. When you are not using the machine there is very little flow and as oil is distributed through a labyrinth of oil ways and restrictors the handle slowly returns to home position. You've got a leak or an excessive clearance somwhere or something that's allowing oil to siphon out past a leaky seal in the pump.

Snip>>>

I think this is some kind of technical college and the guy is talking about one of their machines

"Saddle Lubrication

Section 4 in Figure 8 shows the front view of the vertical milling machine. In this view you will see the saddle and knee lubrication components. This system lubricates the saddle and table-drive mechanisms, knee and saddle ways and the saddle and table ways. The lubrication system consists of a hand-operated pump. The pump maintains constant pressure to the lubrication system. As the oil in the system gets used, the pump allows more oil to flow. The pump handle should be actuated initially until the handle no longer reaches the bottom of its stroke. As long as the machine is in operation the handle should not be allowed to bottom out. The reservoir can be filled through the filler cap on the saddle."

This is by design ????

Thats stupid it can't be, does not make sense.