PDA

View Full Version : He bought a new boat.....

jugs
06-10-2010, 05:44 PM
He just bought a new boat and decided to take her for the maiden voyage.

This was his first boat and he wasn't quite sure of the exact Standard Operating Procedures for launching it off a ramp, but he figured it couldn't be too hard.

He consulted his local boat dealer for advice, but they just said "don't let the trailer get too deep when you are trying to launch the boat".

Well, he didn't know what they meant by that as he could barely get the trailer in the water at all! Anyhow, here's a picture below.

You're gonna love this guy!!!

Folks, you just can't make this stuff up!

http://uk.mg40.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f281321%5fAHC2ktkAATGLTBFAYQHt1nAv pew&pid=1.2&fid=Inbox&inline=1
And once again, these people breed...and on occasion they vote!
Scary!

Mark McGrath
06-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Forgotten something?

jugs
06-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Whatsamater :confused:

vpt
06-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Got excited?

Jim Shaper
06-10-2010, 05:59 PM
The photo you tried to link is hosted inside your email. We can't see it.

Deja Vu
06-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Come on, Jugs. Get that photo up here so we can SEE it!!!!!
Let me guess....the trailer AND vehicle were backed into the water. Or, It was backed out onto a dock. OR......it's Jugs idea of a joke.

mochinist
06-10-2010, 06:28 PM
internet karma...whenever you are telling someone they are dumb or talking about a dumb person, you will inevitably misspell easy words and do other dumb stuff in your post,like not add the photos correctly.:p

vpt
06-10-2010, 06:32 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_1qlJl6MT-Jg/SqbFJDqyhoI/AAAAAAAAAIo/ZQ7ZDGuPAD8/s720/boat%20launch.jpeg

Forrest Addy
06-10-2010, 06:51 PM
TGIF problem.

In the workweek it's "Thank God it's Friday"

Shoes: "Toes go in first."

Boats: "Trailer goes in first."

I live right across the water from a public boat launch. About this time of the year new owner launches keep me pretty well entertaned.

Fasttrack
06-10-2010, 06:58 PM
I ... wha ... hum

I'm speechless. Why anyone would want to tow a nice little boat like that with a Ford is beyond me. ;) :D

IdahoJim
06-10-2010, 07:28 PM
I ... wha ... hum

I'm speechless. Why anyone would want to tow a nice little boat like that with a Ford is beyond me. ;) :D

LOL....ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :eek:

jugs
06-10-2010, 08:06 PM
internet karma...whenever you are telling someone they are dumb or talking about a dumb person, you will inevitably misspell easy words and do other dumb stuff in your post,like not add the photos correctly.:p

Sorry guys :o

Hoisted by my own petard

thanks vpt. worth waiting for ??
:D

Jim Shaper
06-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Obviously he wasn't able to sell the truck to get a better one, so he went for the insurance payout. :D

oldtiffie
06-10-2010, 08:18 PM
You're doing OK Jugs.

As long as you haven't hoisted yourself by your nuts or your/a paying-off pennant you'll be right.

Flags bravo zulu.

lynnl
06-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Hey anybody can make a mistake, particularly in boating where there's so doggone many details to try to keep track of: 1) adequately fueled? 2) all safety gear aboard? 3) compliance with myriad local/state/federal boating regulations, 4) weather conditions, 5) life vests?, etc., etc. ....and the biggy: "Is the drain plug in the boat?"

The one time (so far, knock on wood) I've forgotten the drain plug, I was launching at a new spot, and before cutting the boat loose from the trailer I decided the glide slope at that launch site was too shallow. So I pulled it back out of the water to launch at a different place, and "what the hell? ...how'd all that water get in my boat?" :D
Sometimes I really believe someone of a higher authority, or guardian angel is looking out for us.

Of course, guardian angels sometimes have the day off. :D

tdkkart
06-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Guy I worked for was really proud of the fact that he had the rails and rollers all set up his trailer so that all he had to do was back to water's edge, tap the brakes, and the boat would obediently slide off into the water.

One Sunday afternoon he's backing down to the water and somebody yells WHOA!!!

Yep, he hit the brakes and his boat obediently slid off the trailer, belly floppin' right onto the concrete boat ramp!!!

Richard-TX
06-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Nice photoshop job.

vpt
06-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Guy I worked for was really proud of the fact that he had the rails and rollers all set up his trailer so that all he had to do was back to water's edge, tap the brakes, and the boat would obediently slide off into the water.

One Sunday afternoon he's backing down to the water and I yell WHOA!!!, just to see what would happen.

Yep, he hit the brakes and his boat obediently slid off the trailer, belly floppin' right onto the concrete boat ramp!!!

Fixed that for you. ;)

The Artful Bodger
06-10-2010, 09:56 PM
A friend of mine lost his trailer off the end of a concrete launch ramp so he asked a scuba diver to go down and put a rope on the trailer. Five minutes later the diver was up and asking which trailer was his?:)

Tobias-B
06-10-2010, 10:25 PM
'Brake. Brake! Brake!!! BRAKE!!!!'

oh, well... bail.

t

Jim Doherty
06-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Hey anybody can make a mistake, particularly in boating where there's so doggone many details to try to keep track of: 1) adequately fueled? 2) all safety gear aboard? 3) compliance with myriad local/state/federal boating regulations, 4) weather conditions, 5) life vests?, etc., etc. ....and the biggy: "Is the drain plug in the boat?"

The one time (so far, knock on wood) I've forgotten the drain plug, I was launching at a new spot, and before cutting the boat loose from the trailer I decided the glide slope at that launch site was too shallow. So I pulled it back out of the water to launch at a different place, and "what the hell? ...how'd all that water get in my boat?"

Been there done that, had the boat stored and was running late and forgot to put in the plug. dropped the boat in the water and parked the car walked back down to the dock only to see my boat 1/4 full of water. Slammed the plug home and then ran the boat wide open and pulled the plug to let the water drain out.

Jim Doherty

MichaelP
06-10-2010, 11:02 PM
The first time I launched my boat, I was so nervous that I forgot to unlock the rear straps. I couldn't understand why the boat didn't want to leave the trailer even under motor power. :)

And I don't even want to mention the psychological trauma of learning how to back up a trailer. I had to launch the boat from a busy ramp with people waiting and no previous experience whatsoever. I'm sure they hated me even more than I hated them. :)

lynnl
06-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I forgot to mention straps and backing the trailer. Certainly some more "gotcha's" there.

If a guy were smart, he'd probably sit down in a quiet, reflective mood and calmly write himself a checklist covering each item to address prior to launch and also loading out.

...but then of course, the next time he launched, it'd be a busy day, with a fishing tournament going on, and people gnashing their teeth and grumbling about slowpokes taking so long, and he'd decide to bypass the checklist anyway. :D

That's probably what happened to the guy in question here. He was being pressured to hurry up, so he tried to launch with the bow already heading away from the ramp, so he wouldn't hold up the crowd. ...let's give him the benefit of the doubt. :)

Pherdie
06-11-2010, 12:45 AM
How about remembering to shift from reverse to drive (forward) before pulling the trailer and boat out of the water?

JoeFin
06-11-2010, 01:43 AM
I live right across the water from a public boat launch. About this time of the year new owner launches keep me pretty well entertaned.

My nephew (aka: water ski buddy) years ago at age 14 used to back a full size pick up down a ramp better then 80% of the veteran boat owners at the lake.

dockrat
06-11-2010, 01:43 AM
Some people do funny things with boats :D Here are a couple I've seen

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP0512Medium-1.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/HB5.jpg

Edit to add this one. The commercial guys do it too. This was a large self dumping log barge

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/barge9.jpg