PDA

View Full Version : n00b of the day

Gravy
06-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi guys -

I've been lurking in the murky shadows for a year or so now. I finally figured out that I hadn't actually registered here.

I expect that I will now proceed in my customary fashion to post some confused and likely irrelevant and incomprehensible opinions.

Oughta be fun!

Shoot, maybe I'll even have a decent idea every now and then.

Cheers!

Gravy

Liger Zero
06-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Hi guys -

I've been lurking in the murky shadows for a year or so now. I finally figured out that I hadn't actually registered here.

Ah you must be an engineer...

I expect that I will now proceed in my customary fashion to post some confused and likely irrelevant and incomprehensible opinions.

...who was promoted to upper management

Oughta be fun!

Be sure to ask Sir John about his Bridgeport.

Shoot, maybe I'll even have a decent idea every now and then.

Only if Evan doesn't hold the patent on it already.

Welcome to the forum! :D

Gravy
06-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Ah you must be an engineer...

Umm...not really... I R a mechanic

...who was promoted to upper management

Not so much... Unless upper management means sweeping floors.

Be sure to ask Sir John about his Bridgeport.

I'm not THAT masochistic!

Only if Evan doesn't hold the patent on it already.

Evan tries to understand stuff that I just try to fix.

Welcome to the forum! :D

Thanks. Glad to be here.

BTW, I hope you are recovered from your shellfish derivative encounter. I have a bit of experience with that stuff.

Gravy
06-10-2010, 08:20 PM
I see I need to learn more about the reply function. Oh well, I bet you'll figure it out.:D

Liger Zero
06-10-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm fine, there appears to be no permanent damage. Just a very very painful and dangerous allergic reaction and side-effects from the various symptom-control treatments.

Mechanic you say... What aspect? Machine mechanic? Cars? Bikes? Anything and everything? :)

Gravy
06-10-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm fine, there appears to be no permanent damage. Just a very very painful and dangerous allergic reaction and side-effects from the various symptom-control treatments.

Mechanic you say... What aspect? Machine mechanic? Cars? Bikes? Anything and everything? :)

My worst reactions were hives and diarrhea way back when, and some scary wheezing and gasping for breath 20 years later. I've been OK for better than 15 years now. But I still REALLY miss eating crab and lobster.

I've spent most of my career working on cars, with an emphasis on import powertrain management and electrical diagnostics. Every now and then, I worked on a random motorcycle or lawnmower or whatever.

Then my wrists and elbows gave up on twisting wrenches and swinging hammers.

For the last decade or so, I've been designing, building and maintaining groundwater remediation systems - mostly maintaining. When the Mom & Pop gas station on the corner has leaky tanks, and your well water becomes flammable - we are the guys who work at fixing the problem. It's pretty weird balancing "environmental" and "mechanic", not to mention, "profit margin".

Could be worse. Could be boring.

Liger Zero
06-10-2010, 09:06 PM
I can tolerate small amounts of crab and lobster and other seafoods.

However apparently injecting a liquid... derived from these lifeforms.... into an already "stressed" system causes a very severe reaction.

Not too worried, as now I have been educated to the dangers of "mainlining" seafood directly to my veins I know to totally avoid the stuff from now on.

As for the water remediation stuff, one of the stations down in Macedon NY has a remediation system installed, they plan to pull the tanks and dig out the contaminated soil next year. It's a small trailer with barrels and you can hear a pump chugging away inside the trailer.

Bill in Ky
06-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Welcome sir.

saltmine
06-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Welcome to the forum, Gravy. I'm a retired knuckle buster myself.

Ground water remediation you say? No wonder my watermelons burst into flames. And my chickens started laying Molotov Cocktails.

I'm allergic to shellfish.

Gravy
06-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Welcome sir.

Oh no. :eek: Don't do that to me. Do not use the "S" word on me.

"Sir" is for stuffy elder gentlemen. I may be drifting into the elder category, but I hope to avoid the others...

But thanks for the welcome!:D

Gravy
06-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the forum, Gravy. I'm a retired knuckle buster myself.

Ground water remediation you say? No wonder my watermelons burst into flames. And my chickens started laying Molotov Cocktails.

I'm allergic to shellfish.

Snort. Sneeze. Sputter!

Gravy
06-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Bedtime. I'll be back manana or so...

saltmine
06-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Don't call me SIR, I work for a living.

Dr Stan
06-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Don't call me SIR, I work for a living.

Ya beat me to it. Must be another vet. :D

Gravy
06-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Ya beat me to it. Must be another vet. :D

Yeah, that's what inspired me. No, I'm not a vet. I graduated from HS in '73. Only the most motivated and qualified from that period were inducted. I was neither. A very few of my friends and classmates fit the bill. Still, I identify with NCO's.

(Ironically, if the draft had lasted another year, I would likely have been a know-it-all ByTheBook Second LT who fully deserved fragging. I only started encountering bits of reality a few years later. MeNow shudders at MeThen.)

Somehow, I learned to respect those who have been there. Thank you, gentlemen (and those few ladies)(and even more, those non-gentlemen who did what was needed.)

Gravy
06-10-2010, 10:32 PM
And now, I REALLY have to go to bed.

Kenwc
06-11-2010, 03:52 PM
We do seem to have a little well water (sort of) remediation job that needs to be done...I wonder if you could help....it's in the Gulf of Mexico...:(

Gravy
06-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Hmm, might be a little bit beyond our normal working range. That 1200 mile commute would be a killer.;)

rohart
06-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Well, I'm not going to be the one to tell JS that he's stuffy, or elder. I'm sure he's a gentleman though.

Welcome from one of those whose pension is going downhill as fast as the oil is rising !

saltmine
06-11-2010, 10:26 PM
I seem to recall a "railroad track" lieutenant, who endeared himself to his troops by racing into a small village, ahead of the point man, and tossing a frag grenade into a hooch, then, like John Wayne, flattened himself against the wall of said hooch....and was promptly killed. The moral to the story: Don't frag grass houses, if you're gonna press yourself against the outside wall for cover.