PDA

View Full Version : anyone in ontario canada know where to get tapered roller bearings locally?

Elninio
06-10-2010, 08:02 PM
The nearest bearing place says they import them from somewhere far away and it will take a few weeks to get here - so where can i get these things locally over the counter? I need them for a toolpost grinder ...

mbensema
06-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Try Kinecor, they are a larger distributor throughout Canada.

www.kinecor.com

Evan
06-10-2010, 08:44 PM
That depends what quality you want. You can buy automotive grade tapered roller bearings at C Tire as trailer wheel bearing kits and at just about any automotive parts store such as NAPA. They aren't rated to high enough rpm though for a proper tool post grinder.

oldtiffie
06-10-2010, 09:04 PM
I think that Evan is right.

But it depends on whether the TPG is for outside grinding with a say 2">4" wheel or an internal grinder with say small "points" or say 1">2" wheels - or a combination of any of all of these.

If it were me I'd either check/use a bearing manufacturers hard-copy or on-line technical catalogue or a "real person" Technical Representative.

The quality of the bearings will be an issue - as quality increases so does cost - but cost increases exponentially.

A lot of the design for use of bearings has to do with required performance over varying lengths of time. A HSM-er will or may need a lesser quality bearing over a lot lesser number of hours than a full-on grinding shop where the bearings may be under constant or regular use.

Probably the best performance per $ is the wheel itself as TPG wheels are only dressed and not balanced on the job, so getting as good a wheel as you can consistent with your real requirements is good business and common sense.

You will not do better than "Norton" in that regard and anything less is false economy.

"Norton" is now owned by a French corporation - Saint Gobain - but its tops here in OZ.

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source=hp&q=norton+abrasive+wheels&aq=2&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=norton+abrasi&gs_rfai=&fp=8a853260b5d57d75

tdmidget
06-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Tiffie why in the world would anyone balance a wheel 4 inches or less in diameter?
St Gobain is Swiss, not French.

airsmith282
06-10-2010, 10:39 PM
try canada bearings they got tons

Mcgyver
06-10-2010, 10:51 PM
generally, its nice if you put your location in your profile - Ontario's bigger than lots of countries - whats local? There are lots of bearing sellers in the GTA and most of the manufacturers have their warehouses here so the dealer can get them quick if the bearing is in stock in Canada - If your out of town these dealers will ship

for a TPG you should consider using a high enough grade of bearing (abec 7 or ISO 4) .....you might want the wait - gives one enough time to save up to pay for 'em :eek:

Mcgyver
06-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Tiffie why in the world would anyone balance a wheel 4 inches or less in diameter?

td, i think the benefit of balancing wheel is inversely proportional to the rigidty/weight of the machine. I can imagine a small TPG being quite light weight and might benefit from balancing. I know you wouldn't do so on a big cinci T&CG, but one of my grinders, a small benchtop model did better after i balanced the cup wheel(which was a fair bit out, stupid Triumph wheels :( )

Evan
06-11-2010, 12:20 AM
A relatively cheap way to buy abec 5 bearings is to look for a pair of all terrain skates on sale. Those are roller skates with really big 5" wheels and they are usually equipped with high quality bearings. It doesn't make the slightest difference what grade of bearings they have but it's like billet aluminum. If they have abec 5 bearings they make you go faster so they all have abec 5 bearings or better. You can get 8 bearings for 99 bucks usually and then you have 8 handy 5" wheels to use for something else.

RancherBill
06-11-2010, 12:30 AM
The SKF distributors in Ontario (http://www.skf.com/skf/support/html/contacts/distributorsFrameSetWrapper.jsp?url=/skf/support/html/contacts/distributorsDisplay.jsp&DistributorsCities=&DistributorsCountry=CA&DistributorsRegions=&DistributorsStates=349&changed=&searchBtn=cityBtn&y=12&x=24&DistributorsSubCountry=CA&lang=en)

oldtiffie
06-11-2010, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by tdmidget
Short answer is that in most cases it isn't done on these "small" wheels because it can't be done either on a balancing hub and fixture/tool on the test bench or on the grinder as it is somewhere between very difficult and all but impossible so the manufactured balance is or should be excellent - which Norton/Saint-Gobain are. This is important and is somewhere between very nice to have and need to have.

Perhaps it is - but this item seems to suggest that S-G is French:

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer: Pierre-André de Chalendar

Management team

Head office:

Compagnie de Saint-Gobain
Tour Les Miroirs
18, avenue d'Alsace
92 096 La Défense cedexFrance
Tél. : +33 (0) 1 47 62 30 00
www.saint-gobain.com
at:
http://www.saint-gobain.com/en/press/saintgobain-glance

oldtiffie
06-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Here is the heading of the original post (OP):

anyone in ontario canada know where to get tapered roller bearings locally?
Here is the text:

The nearest bearing place says they import them from somewhere far away and it will take a few weeks to get here - so where can i get these things locally over the counter? I need them for a toolpost grinder ...

I'm surprised that (only??) "tapered roller bearings" are used.

brian Rupnow
06-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Canadian Bearings-----705-726-3030 in Barrie, Ont---and they are going to be an import!!! We don't make bearings in Canada.

RobbieKnobbie
06-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Brian, I'm really curious as to why you're using tapered roller bearings instead of angular contact?

Just curious, folks - not trying to start a flame war!

Evan
06-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Tapered rollers are not a bad choice. They are used in some commercial drill presses and milling machines and have much higher side load capability than any type of ball bearing. They are also used in live centres and in a number of lathe headstocks. I also use them in the equatorial axis of my telescope mount because they provide extremely smooth rotation with minimal preload.

Mcgyver
06-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Tapered rollers are not a bad choice. They are used in some commercial drill presses and milling machines and have much higher side load capability than any type of ball bearing.

those typically are a heavier and slower use than a tool post grinder...angular contacts are better for higher speed applications and from the ones I've had apart are whats used in TPG's. Think slower and heavier for tapered rolling vs angular contact. I don't know cost different between to the two, but that would be a factor as I'd think

Willy
06-11-2010, 03:23 PM
those typically are a heavier and slower use than a tool post grinder...angular contacts are better for higher speed applications and from the ones I've had apart are whats used in TPG's. Think slower and heavier for tapered rolling vs angular contact. I don't know cost different between to the two, but that would be a factor as I'd think

Not to start another bearing debate...but.:D

I would tend to agree with what Mcgyver says as this has always been the trend in bearing end use and oem applications for various applications.
Although lately I have noticed that automotive wheel bearing applications have moved slowly away from predominately the traditional tapered roller bearings to double row angular contact bearings.

Any thoughts as to what precipitated this trend?

Evan
06-11-2010, 03:49 PM
post # 3 by myself:

"They aren't rated to high enough rpm though for a proper tool post grinder."

loose nut
06-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Motion Canada is another place for bearings.

Duffy
06-11-2010, 11:03 PM
In Ottawa and Toronto, General Bearing.

oldtiffie
06-12-2010, 01:26 AM
Buying "a bearing" is hardly the sensible thing to do.

The bearing required must - or should be - as specified (if there is a "spec") or to replace an existing bearing or as a last resort "work it out".

"Working it out" will require reference to bearing manufacturers technical and design manual/s. They will present a vast combination of variables that must be adhered to consistent with the environment in which the bearing/s operate as well as any size or space limitations or constraints.

There are a lot of "what if" scenarios that need to be worked through.

It is highly probable that compromise will or may need to be made - but they should be made on an "informed" and not a "wild-ar$ed guess" basis.

"Cost" - as always - will rear its ugly head and is probably one of, if not a major, constraint.

This can be a long, arduous and frustrating process - but it needs to be done to get the best performance and value from your bearings.

Pretty well any bearing manufacturer's technical and design manual will do as many bearings are "standard" in that many manufacturers make similar items and many catalogues have excellent "cross-reference" tables for equivelent items for all or many manufacturers products.