PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want to go for a ride????

brian Rupnow
06-11-2010, 04:49 PM
This is what I've been busting my butt designing this week.--Nahh---It isn't a hovercraft!!! I just haven't got to the wheels yet. Better this week than last week. Last week it was curved windshield assembly fixtures, which involved far too many compound angles.---It gets really nutso when you design something that is so complex that there is no way to draw it---the math data goes directly to the CNC Gods for fabrication. At least on something like this the angles are generally in only one plane.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/scissorsontruck.jpg

Kenwc
06-11-2010, 05:06 PM
A walk behind hand truck manlift cherry picker thing. A Pallet Jack on Steroids. Very cool.

RobbieKnobbie
06-11-2010, 09:07 PM
What type of bearings are you using for the scisor joints?

tdmidget
06-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Short and simple. Why?

JoeFin
06-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Very Brave to say the least

Not that your design is not pure genius - because it is, but the liability to put a product like that to market is staggering.

Once I stupidly asked the rental agent what was the replacement cost of a 120' Boom Lift. I was completely floored when he told me $645,000.00

My initial thought was "I must be in the wrong business" but then he told me a hefty portion of that cost reflects all the testing and liability

knedvecki
06-12-2010, 12:28 AM
One has to ask, "Why wouldn't you just buy a scissor-lift????"

Black Forest
06-12-2010, 02:32 AM
Where are the sheep leg restraints? And Brian, I don't need it to go so high. Waist height would be good enough for me. And really, you need to get a model of a sheep!

brian Rupnow
06-12-2010, 08:52 AM
What type of bearings are you using for the scisor joints?

Using DU style bushings. They have a steel outer shell with a sintered bronze inner liner coated with PTFE

brian Rupnow
06-12-2010, 08:53 AM
One has to ask, "Why wouldn't you just buy a scissor-lift????"

Customer wanted the portability of a motorized truck frame, as shown.

brian Rupnow
06-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Short and simple. Why?

Because I get paid damn good money to do it!!!

brian Rupnow
06-12-2010, 09:01 AM
JoeFinn---I learned many years ago to let people with much deeper pockets than mine build and market all these wonderfull devices!!! I design them, source the purchased components, prepare engineering drawings, tender bid packages, and do project management and oversight as the machines are built. like the lawyer said---"Those are all billable hours." As far as paying the cost to actually build the machine----Thats not my part of the job. In fact, probably 10 to 15 percent of what I design (and get paid for) never actually gets built for various reasons.

RKW
06-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Sounds like a good deal to me. Like I say at work, "I'm just here to serve". Let others make all the [bad] decisions they want to as long as I'm getting paid to work and rework things as needed.

JoeFinn---I learned many years ago to let people with much deeper pockets than mine build and market all these wonderfull devices!!! I design them, source the purchased components, prepare engineering drawings, tender bid packages, and do project management and oversight as the machines are built. like the lawyer said---"Those are all billable hours." As far as paying the cost to actually build the machine----Thats not my part of the job. In fact, probably 10 to 15 percent of what I design (and get paid for) never actually gets built for various reasons.

RobbieKnobbie
06-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Using DU style bushings. They have a steel outer shell with a sintered bronze inner liner coated with PTFE

DU bearings from GGB?

I used to work for them, though I wasn't involved with the metal-backed bearings.

Have you looked at their Filament Wound Gar-Max (GM-xxxx)bearings? They have slightly lower PV ratings, but can handle tremendous loads and have a very thick liner layer and are very resistant to contamination. We used to sell a ton of them to several scisor lift manufacturers for exactly your application.

They had tremendous life spans - infact it was one of the lift makers that prompted us (err, them)to develop the low cost MLG line - not so much for the initial cost benefits, rather for the parts sales after the fact (the MLG bearings have a much thinner teflon layer and no graphite impregnantion so they wear much faster but have the same compressive wall strength.

You're not worried about parts sales, so the GarMax or even HSG (High Strength GarMax) would would be something to look into.