PDA

View Full Version : Weakness for certain stuff

Bill736
06-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Rather than highjack Liger Zero's thread on having an assortment of mold releases on hand, I decided to try this new thread. I too like to have an assortment of certain materials on hand, and I have particular weaknesses for buying certain things: I buy any new types of tapes , such as duct tapes, special repair tapes, etc. The really neat industrial specialty tapes are not found at the big box stores, but at places like flea markets and surplus and used tool shops. I also buy, on sight, nearly anything new I find in a spray can , such as cleaners, oils, greases, light lubricants, penetrating oils, etc. I buy any new rust preventative spray I see. I buy glues and cements of all types, such as epoxies , super glues, wood glues, etc. I buy metal wire, in an assortment of materials and gauges. I tend to buy small quantities of paints , paint removers, primers, and clear spray coatings. I buy putty and caulkings of all types, just to have a variety on hand. I tend to buy assortments of specialty fasteners such as stainless sheet metal screws, deck screws, and every type of nail known to man. I suppose if I look back at the "stuff" I just can't resist buying, they're mostly repair materials for small jobs. Tape, lubricants, cleaners, glues, wire, paint, caulkings, and fasteners. It may be a compulsion, but it does makes sense. What are your passions for purchasing ?

Ken_Shea
06-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Mine is anything that says 3M, DuPont or Loctite.

Also anything that is a really good deal, makes no difference if I need of or have use for it, somebody stop me!

Definitely tape, also spray type lube/paint etc. never met a spray can I didn't like, oh and bearings, I really like bearings :D

Deja Vu
06-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Rather than highjack Liger Zero's thread on having an assortment of mold releases on hand, I decided to try this new thread. I too like to have an assortment of certain materials on hand, and I have particular weaknesses for buying certain things: I buy any new types of tapes , such as duct tapes, special repair tapes, etc. The really neat industrial specialty tapes are not found at the big box stores, but at places like flea markets and surplus and used tool shops. I also buy, on sight, nearly anything new I find in a spray can , such as cleaners, oils, greases, light lubricants, penetrating oils, etc. I buy any new rust preventative spray I see. I buy glues and cements of all types, such as epoxies , super glues, wood glues, etc. I buy metal wire, in an assortment of materials and gauges. I tend to buy small quantities of paints , paint removers, primers, and clear spray coatings. I buy putty and caulkings of all types, just to have a variety on hand. I tend to buy assortments of specialty fasteners such as stainless sheet metal screws, deck screws, and every type of nail known to man. I suppose if I look back at the "stuff" I just can't resist buying, they're mostly repair materials for small jobs. Tape, lubricants, cleaners, glues, wire, paint, caulkings, and fasteners. It may be a compulsion, but it does makes sense. What are your passions for purchasing ?

You must also have a passion for purchasing numerous storage units(as do I)....including drawers, shelving, cabinets, etc.;)

MichaelP
06-12-2010, 03:00 AM
"My name is Joe, and I am a shopoholic"

Guys, do you want to talk about it?

:p

Black_Moons
06-12-2010, 03:01 AM
I try not to buy any excess paints/caulks/sealants, as usally when I open a 5+ year old bottle of something like that, its allready seperated, set, cracked or cloged itself.

Oils, petro spray products.. got whole shelfs of em.
got a whole drawer of bearings I bought..
And I usally buy all my metal in 6'+ lengths, even if I only need a few inchs, just so i'll have plenty of that size for the next job.

gda
06-12-2010, 09:12 AM
I like gloves. tig, mig, cotton, rubber coated, leather, welding, utility, mechanic, cold weather, surgical, etc. . (I'm actually putting together an order for some new welding styles that I don't have)

RKW
06-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Sounds like many of us have the same symptoms ...

Problem with several of these things as others have pointed out, is that some only last so long just sitting around waiting for occasional use. Certainly with spray cans and propellant and caulking. Even Loctite is supposed to have a shelf life (but some have found otherwise). Masking and other types of tape loose their adhesive and dry up over time.

I guess it depends on your environmental conditions and how much they fluctuate.

It is nice to have things in stock when you need them. But I guess maybe there can too much? :eek: I say this after discovering 10 cans of spray paint that no longer spray ... at least I got to use most of them once.

winchman
06-12-2010, 10:47 AM
I've got just the opposite problem. I have to absolutely force myself to buy just about anything. I just don't want to own stuff like I once did. I'll spend good money for the few things that I really want, though.

Liger Zero
06-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Different materials for different applications. You limit yourself to one "solution" for every situation you limit abilities... and technology passes you by.

KiddZimaHater
06-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm with Winchman.
I have to force myself to buy things.
"Do I REEAALLLYYY need that?"
I just hate clutter, and tripping over useless crap in the shop.
My wife hates it when I help clean as well, because I just start pitching stuff in the garbage.:)

vpt
06-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Funds limit my spending, if a guy doesn't have the money he can't buy stuff.

Liger Zero
06-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Funds limit my spending, if a guy doesn't have the money he can't buy stuff.

Companies like 3M and Loktite love to send free samples. Just ask.

Your Old Dog
06-12-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm at the level now with my machining expertise that I am trying to corner the market on microns. I've got literally millions of them and hope someday to good enough to actually put them to good use.

Actually, for me it's boxes and tin cans of screws, nuts and bolts that aren't rusty. I have nearly a hundred of every type of nut and bolt I could use in my small machine shop. I love not having to go to the hardware. Also buy aluminum, brass and steel stock from yard sales and flea markets if it looks like it may be useful and I can get it for 2 or 3 bucks.

vpt
06-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Does bridgeport give out sample mills?

Liger Zero
06-12-2010, 12:45 PM

Yes, I signed up with six different email addresses and they should all arrive Monday.

KIMFAB
06-12-2010, 12:56 PM
I go with fasteners and steel.
Whenever I'm picking up a load at the metal supply I always go back and check out the drops and ends pile.
Usually end up with at least another 3-500 lbs.

For some reason, maybe the economy and where I live at the edge of nowhere, I have also been accumulating cats.
Up to 5 now and they keep coming.

Evan
06-12-2010, 02:58 PM

See above. Add to that steel, aluminum, bearings, anything that rotates under power, anything shiny and most of all

ANYTHING THAT LIGHTS UP

RB211
06-12-2010, 03:55 PM
It is amazing how well you can cure this problem when you lose your job and have no income and find that you only have 70$ left in your bank account...

Kenwc
06-12-2010, 04:09 PM
My name is Ken.

And I'm a hardwareaholic.

My shop fetish is fasteners.

If I need 2 I get 10.

I buy the best I can find.

I won't buy hardware from Lowes or Home Depot.

I meticulously sort and store them all in the same type of Plano divided storage units.

I restore old machines that are usually 60+ years old and I always try and upgrade the fasteners without compromising the original style of the time.

I have a 3/8-16 X 2" headless slotted bolt right here beside me that I'm ordering from McMaster Carr..."right now"...

:o :o

RobbieKnobbie
06-12-2010, 04:32 PM
you're all sick...SICK!

I, on the other hand, don't have any such issues whatsoever.

None.

Yet every time I go to an auction I wind up buying nearly all the lots of drills and taps that come up. At this point I've got hundreds of taps in sizes that I'll never use - and in both left and right hand threads at that. Coarse, fine, extra fine, special, GH3, GH5...

I recently bought an old Cleveland drill/tap/reamer index chest. It's nearly full now - every drawer, every slot. I have a bucket of dull drills (because no one in their right mind would ever have thrown even one shattered drill out) that I'm sharpening and sorting in the index.

I'm just glad I'm not all screwed up like you guys.

Black_Moons
06-12-2010, 05:18 PM
RobbieKnobbie: thanks for making me feel good about only owning a 115bit set, 29 bit set, 15 bimetal hole saws (including a 6" hole saw), 5 drill saws, a couple augers (need to get more now that I think about it), a spade set, a forstner set, reduced shank up to 1" set, metric/imperial taps to 1/2", NPT pipe taps to 1 1/4", 5 center drill set... Though I do think I still need a 29 bit stub length set, and a masonary set someday... But yea, thanks for making me feel good, some people thought I had a problem or something.

Sadly, I only have 2 reamers, both for NPT pipe taps.

lynnl
06-12-2010, 07:22 PM
I like gloves. tig, mig, cotton, rubber coated, leather, welding, utility, mechanic, cold weather, surgical, etc. . (I'm actually putting together an order for some new welding styles that I don't have)

Hey gda, how are you fixed for right hand work gloves?
I have about a dozen or so extras I could send you.

One of life's big mysteries to me is, how the hell every orphaned glove I end up with is RH. You'd think occasionally I'd lose the RH of the two. This defies some of those probability concepts discussed here a few days ago.

And I'm left handed. If I'm gonna need only one glove for something it'd be for the LH.

dockrat
06-12-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm a great collector of nuts and bolts. I have every kind but the one I need for the project at hand. It never fails!! :confused:

DFMiller
06-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Ernie. I have heard you have been playing with your nuts a lot recently.
Dave

dockrat
06-13-2010, 01:49 AM
Who finked??:mad:

DFMiller
06-13-2010, 01:51 AM
Sir John of course

Tony Ennis
06-13-2010, 01:57 AM
I'm too cheap to stockpile stuff for which I have no immediate need. It's to the point when I buy nuts and bolts I buy *exactly* the number I need.

Evan
06-13-2010, 04:29 AM
And I'm left handed. If I'm gonna need only one glove for something it'd be for the LH.

What!??

I was just wondering about this precise question a few days ago. All I can find is right hand gloves too BUT I am RIGHT HANDED. It would at least make some sort of sense if we each lost the complementary gloves but to lose the same hand each makes no sense at all.

This is definitely a reality is stranger than fiction event. I wonder if it is only right hand socks that go missing? What do the socks and the gloves do when we aren't watching? Perhaps a little digi-pedal cross dressing?

beanbag
06-13-2010, 04:45 AM
I have a thing for high performance end mills.

Carbide
Hi Helix
Corner Radius
Coated - AlTiN, TiAlN, ZrN, TicN, etc
Variable Flute
Reduced Neck
Rougher/Finisher
Etc

The more features it has, the better. Sometimes I sit around and think about how I am going to use my 5 variable flute high helix TiAlN coated endmill to really chew away a chunk of Inconel, like in those Youtube videos. Then I remember that I don't actually have a VMC with a 30 HP spindle. :(

macona
06-13-2010, 05:40 AM
Servo motors
Vacuum Equipment (just got another RGA, woo!)
Anything high tech really.

HAP
06-13-2010, 08:12 AM
My weakness is Stainless Steel. If its Stainless Steel, I want it!

Bill736
06-13-2010, 02:28 PM
There's one more device that both I and my lady friend have become compulsive about; flashlights. About 15 years ago, I promised myself that I'd never again be without a readily accessible working flashlight. The result is our current assortment of about 25 flashlights and lanterns, all in working order and with good batteries, and in places I can find them ! At this point, about half are LED types . Let there be light.

lynnl
06-13-2010, 03:03 PM
You folks must be better organized than I.
Frankly, I find that having multiples of tools is about as much of an impediment to efficiency as too few. Screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, etc., I think I've got too many. And I say that because I know each one, and if I realize it's misplaced, or missing actually, I'll interrupt the current project and spend an hour or so looking for it, and berating myself because I know it'll turn up eventually.

Liger Zero
06-13-2010, 03:28 PM
I have multiple copies of the Bible and Book Of Mormon. I rescue "missionary" copies of the BOM from used bookstores and yard-sales. Those young men and women put alot of effort into writing a lesson and introduction for "potential new members" it's interesting to read their thoughts. I'd say 24 copies of the BOM, and 30 Bibles ranging from the big family tome to my most recent Armed Forces Bible.

Not a tool per say but it's still something I go out of my way to collect.

Evan
06-13-2010, 03:57 PM
I have multiple copies of the Bible and Book Of Mormon....

Heh. Had some missionaries drop by yesterday and they spotted my trike in front of the garage. They completely forgot why they were here and wanted to know everything about it so I gave them a demo and we talked about it for 20 minutes. I finally reminded them of their duty which took them aback a bit and then declined their offer of enlightenment. :D

Liger Zero
06-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Heh. Had some missionaries drop by yesterday and they spotted my trike in front of the garage. They completely forgot why they were here and wanted to know everything about it so I gave them a demo and we talked about it for 20 minutes. I finally reminded them of their duty which took them aback a bit and then declined their offer of enlightenment. :D

I am Mormon myself, I lived in Palmrya where it all began before it moved to Utah.

Missionaries come by every so often and being young and often just out of high-school they have no idea what is out "there" careerwise. Quite a few of them have been mesmerized by my lathe.

They come and go, I wonder if I made any converts over the years... any of them peruse a trade because of my demonstrations?

The Artful Bodger
06-13-2010, 07:18 PM
I used to live on the island of Niue, very small population, not many visitors etc. One morning I was lying under the Land Rover fixing the hand brake when I heard gravel crunching footsteps coming up the drive way.

Oh no! The only people who wore shoes were the "Mormon Boys" and they had already spotted my feet! So I jumped up and greeted them then we talked about cars and stuff, very pleasant and polite young men who could see I was not fertile ground so they left it at that.

The Artful Bodger
06-13-2010, 07:25 PM
When I was about ten I discovered how to twist all the short lengths of baler twine into real rope, three ply at first then five ply and eventually cable laid.

Being a bit interested I began to just pick up any odd lengths of rope or twine until I had a ball almost as big as Scrooge McDuck's string ball.

Nowadys, I have lost count of how many block and tackel sets I have, how many lengths of chain I have in the old barrel and of course all those sets of fence strainers.:(

kc5ezc
06-13-2010, 07:28 PM
How can you have only one set of tools unless you only work in one place. Or maybe carry all your tools with you. tSeparate sets of tools in the machine shop, wood shop, car repair/fabrication area, and of course on the tractor. Hopefully metric tools on the metric tractor and inch (imperial) on the inch machine. Forgot the tool belts for carpentry and electrical. Then there is the electronics repair tools. Only one tool box; just starting or you are kidding
I need more tool boxes and places to put them.

John Stevenson
06-13-2010, 07:40 PM

Christ I hope not :eek:

loose nut
06-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Endmills, all types, can't have enough of them. HSS tool bits and carbide inserts too. Got a lifetime supply, need more.

John Stevenson
06-13-2010, 07:45 PM
I collect rulers, 6", 12", 18" and 24" looking for that elusive one without the bozeyed tiny markings.

darryl
06-13-2010, 09:09 PM
I have always had a bit of a weakness for collecting electric motors. Forget the cheesy 3volt toy motors, and most ac motors. If it's small but powerful, or application specific like a bike motor, scooter motor/gearbox, model airplane motor, forklift motor- it will pique my interest and I may acquire it. I have lots of satellite actuator motors saved from my time in that business.

Many of these 'finds' end up in useful applications, but of course many more are sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Of other things, I'd have to say fasteners would be my other 'collection' habit. Only in the last few years have I decided to build up a stock of most often used fasteners, so now when I need say a dozen of a size of socket head bolts, I'll look through my stash and make up a shopping list. The last few times I've spent maybe 20-30 bucks each time, when 3 bucks would have gotten me what I needed at the time. Having the stock on hand though is more of a convenience than it is an incursion into the budget.

I too have a stainless weakness. It looks nice, is normally non-rusting, it's stronger than other steels in comparable sizes, usually silver solders nicely, and takes heat better.

I guess I have to agree with the 'bargain hunter' syndrome as well. When I know the value of something, or the cost to procure it, I would be tempted to snap up stuff where I can get it at a bargain price. It's certainly budget related, so I find that I might be able to average my monthly or yearly acquisition costs for materials and things to a generally affordable level on a continuous basis. Of course, after years and years of this, there's a lot of 'stuff' laying around- gonna be hell when I have to do a move.

John Stevenson
06-14-2010, 04:35 AM
Oh and ballscrews, mainly without the ball nuts :confused:

I get to modify quite a few, end machining etc and finish up with the off cut which may be from 3" to 24" long.

Without a ball nut they are useless and the ball nut on it's own costs more than an assembly but I can't help saving them .......??????

lynnl
06-14-2010, 01:12 PM
John, I'd think a fellow of your talents could crank out a half dozen ball nuts before breakfast every day. :)

I'm sure I don't have a full grasp of the difficulties involved, but it would seem to me that at least a rudimentary, functional ball nut would be doable by the HSM'er with above average ability.

Fasttrack
06-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Drill bits. If I don't have at least 5 of the same size I feel like I'm running out :rolleyes: I'm always on the look out for more cutting tools.

Storage solutions and things that come in neat, small cardboard boxes are also weaknesses.

I also can't refuse WWII vintage machines ;)

Too_Many_Tools
06-14-2010, 10:35 PM
I take it that you guys don't plan on moving any time soon.... ;<)

macona
06-15-2010, 03:59 AM
John, I'd think a fellow of your talents could crank out a half dozen ball nuts before breakfast every day. :)

I'm sure I don't have a full grasp of the difficulties involved, but it would seem to me that at least a rudimentary, functional ball nut would be doable by the HSM'er with above average ability.

Maybe if you have a cnc internal grinder.

I myself have a couple chunks of ball screw cut from longer lengths. Just dont know what to do with them, I had though of getting some moglice and making a nut for them. That would turn them into a leadscrew but still useful.

ptjw7uk
06-15-2010, 04:21 AM
I have a weakness for collecting 'useful' things, only downside is that when I have found a use for them I'm always one short!

Peter

hojpoj
06-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Ditto on the 'useful' bits.

Fortunately I've tempered the overzealous collection with some trips to the scrapyard or postings on Craigslist. Seeing as my hardware collection is rather small, I tend to sort through some of the recycle bins here at work and pull out stuff with lots of fasteners. Installation of test equipment on helicopters uses some rather non-standard mounting hardware that usually gets tossed in the skip after the testing's done. Added bonus is a lot of it already comes with a covering- take your pick of painted black, orange, or goldish anodization. I'm quite partial to some of the mockup sections of cockpit panels I snagged- I figure I'll modify 'em for a control panel when I make the CNC machine.

I wish I had some of those offcuts of ballscrews (particularly the multi-start variety). I imagine they'd make some nifty lookin' legs/uprights for desk-size mechanical displays.