PDA

View Full Version : Whew up and running

Jim Doherty
06-13-2010, 11:52 AM
I finally got the machine out of the car and into the house but just barely, it's one heavy son of a gun. I didn't feel comfortable taking the headstock off the ways I was worried about realigning it as I didn't see any alignment pins. Here is a shot of the ways and headstock before I put it on the pallet to winch it up the stairs.

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz293/jcdoherty/Picture022Medium.jpg

I got the bench built using 2x4's and 3/4 plywood it's short as I'm limited on headroom. Lathe reassembled and on its new home.

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz293/jcdoherty/Picture024Medium.jpg

Boards on the sides will and back will be my chip collecter so hopefully I won't be tracking metal bits all around the house. I figure my shop vac should be able to handle debris. Now I need to find/make a small collector for the precious metal I plan to turn I don't want to mix metals.
I turned the motor on before placing the belts and it was smooth as silk but after putting the belts on its louder than I expected I have it running on the slowest speed at the moment. The manual doesn't give any instructions on the belts so I put them on as I thought correct. Do my belts look ok or have I screwed something up?

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz293/jcdoherty/Picture025Medium.jpg

The lathe seemed to be running ok so I found a piece of threaded rod chucked it up and ground a HHS bit, looked so bad I almost couldn't bring myself to use it but it worked fine and I cut down the end of the rod. :D

davidh
06-13-2010, 12:56 PM
i idler pulley should be on the other side of the belt i think.
i have some scrap s.s. rounds and crap steel rounds that are good to play with. they are about 10 inches long and about 3/4" dia. even some grade 8 bolts that would fit in the flat rate box.
i'd be happy to mail them usps flat rate if you'd send the postage to me when you get the stuff. . . . i didn't notice where you are, maybe its impossible.
davidh

Jim Doherty
06-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Your right David I had it on the wrong side thanks. I'll send you a pm on the scrap I really appreciate the offer. Have a good one.

Jim Doherty

Al Messer
06-13-2010, 05:21 PM
You're gonna have a LOT of fun with this little machine! Good luck and best wishes!!

Al

Lew Hartswick
06-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Do I see a chuck key sitting in the chuck? Tich Tich!
...lew...

JoeFin
06-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Do I see a chuck key sitting in the chuck? Tich Tich!
...lew...

5 second rule

Highpower
06-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Ummmm -- What they are saying is......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/Highpwr/Temp2/Picture024Medium.jpg

Jim Doherty
06-13-2010, 06:56 PM
oops my bad :o need to get a spring for it so it can't rest in the chuck. Thanks for the reminders I don't need a trip to the emergency room.

Thanks, Jim Doherty

davidh
06-13-2010, 07:23 PM
i drilled a hole in my table just next to the base of the lathe head stock and close to the end of the ways so i can just drop one side of the chuck HANDLE in it. i never hardly fail to place the key in it, or if im doing short repeat jobs, i just hold it the key in my left hand continuously. i suppose thats a no no also but i guess its whatever works for whoever... ...i am kinda decent at multi-tasking.

wierdscience
06-13-2010, 08:04 PM
oops my bad :o need to get a spring for it so it can't rest in the chuck. Thanks for the reminders I don't need a trip to the emergency room.

Thanks, Jim Doherty

I hate saftey keys,one shop I worked in had one so tough on a lathe if you slipped and let go it would pop out and clock you in the head:)

Good going on the move,for little machines they sure are heavy.When I brought my X-2 mill home I said to myself,ahh 140lbs I can handle it.After 100 feet or so to the door,up six stairs into the house and finally on the workbench I decided the next time it moved would be on a hand truck:)

RB211
06-13-2010, 08:17 PM
It is a good little lathe.

RobbieKnobbie
06-13-2010, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't sweat the finish on the first piece you cut... especially if its hardware store allthread. It's probably made of a semi-workable alloy of old radiators and razor blades.

Throw a chunk of aluminum or leadloy (12L14 - usually available off ebay for sorta reasonable prices) in there, get to a close sfpm on the spindle and play with that. That setup will allow you to feel around for what works and what doesn't without having to worry about the material being the problem. Work your way up to mystery metals after a good week or two!

Best of luck with it!

darryl
06-13-2010, 09:52 PM
The idler should be on the upper part of the belt in my opinion. That's where the slack would be, since the lower part of the belt is already in tension from pulling the spindle around. It's in the right area for when the belt is direct from the motor pulley, but not for when it's in back gear as the picture shows.