View Full Version : what is this gadget" pixs

06-13-2010, 07:13 PM
i found this in my deceased father -in - laws stuff. looks like a "ball breaker" but its not really that strong enuf looking. it may even be cast aluminum.

anyone know what it might have been for ?



06-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Just a SWAG, but might that be a press for wax or embossed seals on documents, missing the seals themselves?

06-13-2010, 07:50 PM
It's for reloading shotgun shells it puts the primer in.

George Hodge
06-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Thats used to press in the primers of shotgun shells.

06-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Golf ball dimpler? Walnut cracker? I've seen one like it before, but can't remember what I was told it was for. Do remember it was in an antique tools shop in Cambria, CA, near Hearst Castle.
It'll come to me, eventually, most likely after at least 50 other folks have posted the correct answer.

06-13-2010, 08:39 PM
As others have said, it's a priming tool for shotgun shells.

06-13-2010, 09:56 PM
I Know!

It's a special tool for forcing those little brass igniter thingies into shotgun bullets

Liger Zero
06-13-2010, 10:04 PM
It is reverse-ratcheting inverse polarization self-compiling thermo-ionic back-scatter internal-scratch deconfigurator. They use them in the optics industry to repair damaged lenses. Some people also use them to reload shotgun shells.

06-13-2010, 10:13 PM
and you guys are right on. . . . he did a lot of re=loading so, i shoulda guessed that. thanks very much for the quick responses.