PDA

View Full Version : Book Recomendations

Wrongway
06-15-2010, 06:22 AM
I took machine shop in high school many years ago and worked as a lathe operator for awhile so I kinda know my way around a lathe. I have an old Craftsman 12 x 36 lathe my dad-in-law gave me that I make chips with. My son will have to deal with this, and other tools, when I'm gone and I was wondering if there was a good book to go with the lathe on setup and operation, Kinda a Lathes for Dummies type book that covered the basics of grinding tools, how to true a piece in a steady rest, drilling/boring, tapping, and what not. I've made a collection of tips for my bandsaw, wood lathe, planer, and drill press but those were pretty simple. Books or even just authors would certainly be appreciated.

Heck, I might even learn something too. I'm not even 60 yet but I wanted to get something to go along with the Machinery Handbook and an old Audel's guide I have but in a simpler format...those are deep enough I have trouble using them. Thanks guys.

PeteF
06-15-2010, 06:57 AM
I think this could be worthwhile. It's my favourite book on lathe work anyway. "The Amateur's Lathe" by LH Sparey
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amateurs-Lathe-Lawrence-H-Sparey/dp/0852422881

davidh
06-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Linsay's Technical Books has lot of easy to read, reasonably priced publications. i have purchased many of them over the years and find them VERY interesting.
davidh

Dr Stan
06-15-2010, 10:27 AM
South Bend's "How to run a lathe" is a must have.