PDA

View Full Version : Rotary table/Divider plate question

brian Rupnow
06-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Today I washed all the cosmoline gunk off my Divider plates which came with my rotary table (which I purchased 3 years ago). I followed the Chinglish instructions, and after slotting the holes in the divider plates so they would actually fit the bolt pattern in the rotary table (Thats a whole 'nuther story) I was able to assemble things okay. I am beginning to figure out how the divider plates are supposed to work---fortunately I am using the rotary table to cut an eithteen tooth gear, which means 5 full rotations of my handle to accomplish the 20 degrees between cutting positions, so I can use any of the divider plates. (Mine is a 90:1 gear reduction).----Now the question---Those brass arms (I think they are called "sectors") have a screw, which when tightened will lock the angle between the sector arms---However, the two arms (now locked at some angle) seem to rotate fairly freely on the center hub.---They shouldn't do that, should they?? If I am doing some exotic pattern that calls for X number of full rotations and then count how ever many additional holes in the divider plates to let my spring loaded handle pin drop into (Which I THINK is supposed to be located by one of the sector arms)---and the arms rotate out of position---then I'll end up dropping my spring loaded pin into the wrong hole. What am I not understanding here???---Brian
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/rotarytablewithdividerplates001.jpg

J. R. Williams
06-16-2010, 07:26 PM
The sector arms on the dividing head are usually spring loaded, with a flat washer that is formed to provide pressure, to prevent rotation while you move the crank. They have to be able to be moved easily after you complete the desired move and advance to the next position.

JRW

brian Rupnow
06-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks J R---I guess mine must be okay then. they don't "flop around" but if you weren't paying attention when you were turning the handle and the pin did hit them, they would move. I guess that just means "Pay attention"!!!----Brian

John Stevenson
06-16-2010, 08:11 PM
That's why I like the electronic ones, it keep a tally where you are and if you get interrupted you don't loose track.

Been there done that.

dp
06-16-2010, 08:52 PM
The blades should swing with some friction. Here's a fun video showing them in action. Crank up the audio! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTXaU7GZC0

oldtiffie
06-16-2010, 09:35 PM
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/rotarytablewithdividerplates001.jpg

Brian.

Just a word of caution.

The first hole is "0".

For example the second ring of holes in from the outer edge spans 11 holes which is 10 spaces.

Count as you do from zero on a rule.

TGTool
06-17-2010, 12:25 AM
When you pull the pin to begin turning the handle, can the handle be pulled back and rotated to stay retracted? One of my devices does and one doesn't. If it's got that feature it makes in less nerve wracking making multiple turns without worrying about slipping and moving the sector arms inadvertently.

I also usually try to get in a rhythm of doing each step the same. So after the machine operation, move the sector arms to the next spot, then pull the pin. OR, set it to the next position when you come to a stop and before you machine. There's nothing worse than trying to remember if you did or didn't while you're holding the pin wavering about where to set it down next. :eek: