PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight digital micrometer

beanbag
06-18-2010, 04:07 AM
Bought one today and out of the box it was busted. The display would flicker to random numbers and if you closed, opened, and closed the two measurement points together, you would get a different number each time. I opened it up and found that in addition to a lot of brass dust inside :rolleyes: , that the two rotary encoder plates were too far apart. One of them slides along, but spins with, the micrometer shaft, and the other one is fixed to the body. I managed to move the fixed one over closer, and then found out that somehow the set screw on it doesn't really hold it in place. :rolleyes: A little bit of super glue fixed that. Now this tool seems to work fine, fingers crossed.

The moral of the story is ???

Your Old Dog
06-18-2010, 06:12 AM

A new trend in kits?

Farbmeister
06-18-2010, 06:42 AM
And no Starret or other micrometer *EVER* was DOA. :rolleyes:

At least at HF you get to open the box and look at it... who doesn't do that anymore?

Take it back, get another (you have a 30 day 100% guarantee) and this time open the box and check it.

Wow, shopping 101 lesson here... I can ask my GF to post more tips if you like

:)

Chester
06-18-2010, 07:55 AM
For anyone on this side of the border..........Canadian Tire has those 6" digital calipers (assume that is what is being dicussed here) for$14 this week.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/MeasuringTools/SpecialtyMeasuring/PRD~0586800P/Mastercraft%252BDigital%252BCaliper.jsp

sidneyt
06-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Take it back and get another one. I have two of these micrometers and they both worked day one and are still working. I really like them.

Bought one today and out of the box it was busted. The display would flicker to random numbers and if you closed, opened, and closed the two measurement points together, you would get a different number each time. I opened it up and found that in addition to a lot of brass dust inside :rolleyes: , that the two rotary encoder plates were too far apart. One of them slides along, but spins with, the micrometer shaft, and the other one is fixed to the body. I managed to move the fixed one over closer, and then found out that somehow the set screw on it doesn't really hold it in place. :rolleyes: A little bit of super glue fixed that. Now this tool seems to work fine, fingers crossed.

MTNGUN
06-18-2010, 09:31 AM
I have two of these micrometers and they both worked day one and are still working. I really like them.
Mine is still going strong after a year, but don't doubt Chinese QC lets some bad ones slip through.

Mike Hunter
06-18-2010, 09:45 AM
I've got about half a dozen sets of the cheap digital calipers, they sit on a shelf. Too many problems with them.

You can buy a quality brand:

Grizzly has some Brown & Sharpe (Swiss made Tesa), 6 inch Digitals in their "Presidents Special" for $79. They normally go for $130-$140 anywhere else.

I picked up 3 sets.

Mike

Tony Ennis
06-18-2010, 10:00 AM

People who can fix things rawk.

beanbag
06-18-2010, 03:26 PM
It was sealed in plastic packaging, so I couldn't inspect it.

jungle_geo
06-18-2010, 04:09 PM

Don't buy anything at HF that has moving parts. :D

danlb
06-18-2010, 04:12 PM

The Corollary; If it has moving parts, make sure it's supposed to. :)

Dan

PeteM
06-18-2010, 04:50 PM
I bought one of the Chinese digital micrometers years ago. They may have updated the design, but back then it burned through batteries much faster than an even older Mitutoyo.

JoeLee
06-18-2010, 06:12 PM

Don't buy anything at HF .........PERIOD...............

JL.....................

m squared
06-18-2010, 06:18 PM
I bought a hammer once there, when I got it home I found IT had moving parts. They were very nice when I returned it tho...

KiddZimaHater
06-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Don't buy anything at HF .........PERIOD...............
Now .. wait a minute ....
Horror Freight is great for paint brushes, tape, oil, sandpaper and other cheap crap.
But don't expect to buy anything 'quality' there.:(

Ohio Mike
06-18-2010, 08:59 PM
They also sell Accu-Link brand belts (similar to PowerTwist) from Jason Industrial. Note they're made in the USA :)

gnm109
06-18-2010, 10:13 PM

Hmm, moral of the story.....Since you asked. I presume that you drove to the Harbor Freight store where you purchased, over the counter, the DATTOP micrometer. (DATTOP) = Dead at the time of purchase.

Since you drove, that means that you parked your car in the parking lot. That also means that, instead of sitting in your car for a couple of minutes with your shiny new micrometer in hand and taking a moment to examine it, you got in the car, drove all of the way home and then made your discovery of the broken item.

The moral of the story is, when purchasing non-electrically powered items from H.F. make sure to inspect them for proper condition, missing parts and DATTOP.

As for electrical items such as grinders, saws and other such tools, you are on your own.

airsmith282
06-18-2010, 10:32 PM
For anyone on this side of the border..........Canadian Tire has those 6" digital calipers (assume that is what is being dicussed here) for$14 this week.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/MeasuringTools/SpecialtyMeasuring/PRD~0586800P/Mastercraft%252BDigital%252BCaliper.jsp

i have set of the Ctire ones and not to impressed with them at all. eats batteries alot, not very accurate my 30 dollar set i got from the local auto parts dealer are way better quaility and accuracy and dont eat batteries for 3 meals a day kinda deal,, Ctire micrometers are also equal junk as well ,

some stuff should just not be allowed to be made and sold to the public

gmatov
06-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Almost everything at HF is in a slide in cardboard and bubble formed plastic package. Almost all of them have one or two staples holding the plastic to the cardboard.
I have no problem scootching the flaps of the plastic open to check the operation of the enclosed item, and then reclosing it. They don't jump on you for doing that.

Take it out of the package and try it. If it don't work, grab another. Yours sounds like the batt was dead, I would not have made the glue repair, I would have taken it back.

One thing about them, their return policy is top rate, and if it goes on sale next week, they will give you back the difference, and if it is defective, they will swap it out for you.

Sounds like some of the crossposters from the OTHER board are jumping your a*s for even deigning to buy HF when you could buy something a bit better for 10 times as much.

I like my 12 buck digital caliper, but I prefer my rotary Starrett and Lufkin mikes. I can still read them, even with my bifocals. Verniers, I have a bit more problem with, so the digitals are my "get close" tool.

Cheers,

George

beanbag
06-19-2010, 01:43 AM
This was sealed in one of those plastic packages from all sides, and to get it open, I had to saw off three sides with a knife. Which I don't carry with me.

Jim Hubbell
06-19-2010, 01:46 AM
Along with an order of bearings from VBX they offered a 6in. dig. caliper for $9.95. Very nicely made and were within the stated specs. using my Starrett standards. No " made in ", just their name on them.
I'm happy with it.

Vern2
06-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Be watching for the brick and morter HF to improve. Was bought 51% recently, making big changes to get the numbers up, for an IPO. Privately owned now.

Can't read a mic, need a digital. Bought the 6" then a 10". I sometimes try both to get a consensus if there within .003, I'll take it, I like the 6". I use to be lucky to get things within 1/16, now I feel great if I get within .010, That is a big improvement.

Vern

radkins
06-19-2010, 12:44 PM
They also sell Accu-Link brand belts (similar to PowerTwist) from Jason Industrial. Note they're made in the USA :)

They also sell American built air compressors, not all of them but I think most of the large ones are USA built.

reggie_obe
06-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Sounds like some of the crossposters from the OTHER board are jumping your a*s for even deigning to buy HF when you could buy something a bit better for 10 times as much.

Cheers,
George

Not exactly..... My used Mitutoyo 6" digital caliper cost be around $35. Mics, scales, squares and calipers are basic tools you rely on, why skimp there?

MTNGUN
06-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Not exactly..... My used Mitutoyo 6" digital caliper cost be around $35. Mics, scales, squares and calipers are basic tools you rely on, why skimp there?
Because the imports work fine, and if you happen to drop them -- a regular occurrence in my shop -- it's no big deal.

Why do we keep talking about calipers ? This thread is about a 0-1" mic, which I reviewed here: $30 micrometer (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=34688&highlight=micrometer)

BTW, update on my Horror Fright mic. I leave it turned on 24/7, and the supplied batteries last about 6 months each. A name brand battery will probably last longer, but even 6 months is not bad, considering batteries are less than a buck.

After using the HF mic as my "daily driver" for over a year, I actually prefer it to my more expensive name brand mic, because the HF has a smoother feel, and because the display is larger.

Your mileage may vary.
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/mountainmolds/hf_mic.jpg