PDA

View Full Version : O/T Eye Ball "Floaters"

davidh
06-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Yesterday morning as I rolled out of the sack got a couple really strange lightening bolts on the edge of one of my eyes. Odd I thought but went about my morning chores. A couple hours later I started to see what looked like a dead baby daddy log legs spider hanging from the top of my glasses.. .
Very quickly I realized it was not a spider and not on my glasses but something inside my eye. it moves around loosly whenever i move my eye. A “ floater” was what I recalled hearing others talk about them.

The morning passed and I get a phone call from my daughter and in passing conversation I mentioned the “floater” and how dang disruptive it was especially when trying to read something on the computer screen and shifting my eeys from one side of the screen to the other. . . . “Dad” she said,” I just read about those “floaters” 15 minutes ago. They can be serious should be looked at immediately by a dr.”

So I called the eye clinic where I had my lasik done about 7 years ago and was told to get my butt in to have them check it out. Away I went. . .
Upon very close inspection the dr found that the little rascal was not from my retina becoming detached but from the lightning spikes. Those spikes are the outer lining of the eye shrinking as we age. . .(jaah those golden years) and normally this happens mostly to near sighted people. I was very near sighted prior to my lasik work being done.

Now I must see him in two weeks for certain, and if I get another bout of lightning shots to call right away and someone will be available to again check and see if something worse is happening.

The retina becoming detached from the back of the eye can be somewhat often corrected it its tended to quickly enough. If you wait, the part that has detached starts to die and the cells in that area cannot re-attach themselves.

As far as the dang “floater” goes, it may go away by itself in a month or two, may not. . . and if it becomes a problem it can be removed by sucking the jello like fluid out of the eye where its flogging around, and replace the fluid with a saline solution. That solution however will cause cataracts to form so its only done in the most severe cases.

I had to share this in case anyone else comes up with this situation.

Evan
06-19-2010, 09:14 AM
After a while your brain will subtract the floater from your field of vision. The only time you will notice it is if you are looking at a blank field of view or if you move you head suddenly which is enough to momentarily shift the floater slightly in the field of view.

michael3fingers
06-19-2010, 11:21 AM
mate I feel ya. I have floaters and little specs of crap floating around in both my eyes. I am only 30. my eyes are basically pretty good appart from that. A little short sighted but I get by without specs.

Its just anoying

Forrest Addy
06-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I get floaters quite often. Since I'm diabetic I get laser treatments every couple years. The Dr zaps the floaters as part of the service. I never get a severe case of floaters, just nuisancy specs and little strings drifting around when I look at a blank wall. PITA but endurable. It's nice when they're gone.

goose
06-19-2010, 11:55 AM
I've had floaters since I was at least 12 years old. I don't think they're particularly serious in and of themselves, except perhaps as symptomatic of something else. Evan's right in that you don't see them after a while. Concentrating on a blank wall right now I can see a whole constellation of floaters. Enjoy your floaters.

Gary

Herm Williams
06-19-2010, 12:07 PM
I have had floaters forever (anyway about forty years), Dr said check for diabetics and live with it. It reminds me of a fly,or mosquuito flying around the side of my face. You learn to ignore it.
re

tyrone shewlaces
06-19-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm like Goose. I've had one or two pop up ever since I was a kid.
Fast forward to today - my eyeballs are full of them. If I look I see several through both eyes. They are just annoying. Most of the time I just kind of see past them. Occasionally the motion is surprising enough that I think it's something out in the world, but unfortunately I'm used to it for the most part.
I am (was) near-sighted too, and had some laser surgery about 20 years ago, so we have similar background there.

I would LOVE to have them removed, but my DR. says they are just an annoyance and I'm not going to risk surgery just to reduce an annoyance. Just part of getting old & crusty. Theoretically they are supposed to deteriorate eventually, but I generate them faster than they can go away so for me it's always increasing.

I wish I could say I got my first one when I was in my 30s like you.

What I don't like to hear is the appearance of lightning. I never get that and I always heard that's a sign of retinal "trauma", or at least disturbance. I'd "keep an eye" on that and talk to your doctor again if it keeps happening or anything else in your vision changes. I don't think that lightning thing is normal at all, but then again I don't really know either so....

gnm109
06-19-2010, 12:30 PM
After a while your brain will subtract the floater from your field of vision. The only time you will notice it is if you are looking at a blank field of view or if you move you head suddenly which is enough to momentarily shift the floater slightly in the field of view.

Quite correct. I had some and they are probably still there. I no longer notice them. Them came on quite rapidly and annoyed me for a while but the3y are not a problem now.

I once asked my Opthomologist about them and he said something about their being clumps of protien. Who knew?

danlb
06-19-2010, 12:49 PM
The problem with floaters (for me) is that they drift right about the center of my focus. Like was mentioned, you get used to them and sort of subtract them out of teh mental picture. Makes it a hassle to study small detailed things like threads, as each eye will be missing some of the picture and the stereo effect is diminished. :( If I stare for a few seconds I eventually get a good enough look at the part.

Reading this thread I'm painfully aware of all the cruft drifting across my field of view. I'd give my first born male child for perfect eyesight again. Well, the second born one. :)

Dan

Blackadder
06-19-2010, 12:57 PM
now youve done it made me think about my floaters ( had them as long as I can remember) I will be seeing them now for the rest of the day :-)

Your Old Dog
06-19-2010, 01:07 PM
I've experianced floaters but I think they were broken up by the extreme high pitch oscillation sound in my ears! Not sure which is worse. Just had the eye doctor exam last week and they asked me about floaters were a problem as it's a sign of diabetese management.

Bigger problem for me is my peripheral vision is improving. I am not distracted constantly by things that never bothered me before. If I stare straight ahead I can see quite well to about 170 degrees. Any movement, even a bird flying across the yard will get my attention. I liked it the old way better.

Carld
06-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah, had the flashes and got a fur ball in each eye with lots of errant floaters traversing my vision all the time. Most the time I can ignore them. Just had an eye exam and dilated eyes and all is still ok.

From what I have read, DO NOT HAVE THE FLUID SUCKED OUT. It can cause all kinds of trouble and several eye doctors have said that is a last resort move. They all have told me to get used to them.

Dr Stan
06-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Yes they're a nuisance, but as others have pointed out the human brain is an amazing thing and it will eventually adapt and block out the floaters.

Or you can follow Click & Clack's advice and write "floaters" on a stack of Ben Franklin's 12" high and send them to . . . :D

fasto
06-19-2010, 06:01 PM
I've had them for years, as long as I can remember! Mine look like little clouds of steam or smoke that suddenly pop up. Quite fun, when testing auto engines, repairing air conditioning systems, or cutting metal with coolant!

jugs
06-19-2010, 08:52 PM
My floaters don't bother me to much except when driving @ night, with headlights & streetlights, I get internal reflections which are both tiresome & tiring.
john
:)

john hobdeclipe
06-19-2010, 09:23 PM
I've had them since second grade. I remember sitting in the class trying to figure out why I see a "question mark" all the time. I remember well the frustration and impossibility of trying to explain this to my parents at the time.

1937 Chief
06-20-2010, 12:20 PM
I have had the floaters for 10 or so years. I thought I was going blind when they first appeared, it really freaked me out, until I saw the eye doctor and he informed me on what they were. I don't ntice them hardly at all. Like others have said your brain will adjust for them. I stepped on my glasses a month ago and put a scratch right in the center. It is hardly noticable anymore. Juse be happy you can still see. Stan

knudsen
06-20-2010, 06:23 PM
I've had them since second grade. I remember sitting in the class trying to figure out why I see a "question mark" all the time. I remember well the frustration and impossibility of trying to explain this to my parents at the time.

I got the "?" too! Also from a very young age. Bugs me.

motorcyclemac
06-20-2010, 08:41 PM
I recall having them as a child and still have them now. I have worn glasses since I was 5 1/2 years old and so one time I asked the eye doc about them. I recall him explaining something about them being protein strands floating about in the eyeball and that they were annoying but harmless. I assume that I have them all the time and ignore them. I often don't see them (as my glasses have dust or oil mist from the shop on them). Normally when I clean my glasses and sit down at the computer I may...or not...notice a floater or two. I totally disregard them. The one real annoying time for them...is while shooting a scoped rifle. I can really see them with a rifle wearing quality optics. Large objective lens scopes are normally quite bright and it shows up then.

Sleazey
06-20-2010, 09:39 PM
I've had floaters in my eye since I was in kindergarten. They are often a side effect of severe myopia. You get used to them, and a small number of floaters is no problem.

However, if you ever notice a sudden increase in the number, or the "character" or shape, or the size of the floaters, GET TO AN EYE DOCTOR **ASAP**.

Last year I was a guest at a party, and the lighting was somewhat subdued. I noticed I was having trouble seeing properly, but thought it was just the dim lights, the cigarette smoke in the air, and the alcohol within. I went outside to escape the cigarette smoke and the din of the stereo system, and while standing in the yard, looking at a streetlight, I noticed dozens and dozens of tiny dots floating around in my field of vision. Some were like tiny doughnuts, and all were perfect circles. Some were little clumps of perfect circles and doughnuts stuck together. There were so many they were obscuring my central focus, and making it difficult to read my watch, or the display on my phone.

I called the doctor first thing Monday morning and explained what had happened on Saturday night. There was a pause, and he said, "I've cleared out an hour's worth of appointments starting in 45 minutes. Can you get here that soon?" That kind of alarmed me.:eek:

So, I got there as quick as I could, and he checked out my eyes. One had a tiny tear in the retina, and it was bleeding slightly. That was where all those tiny perfectly circular floaters came from. I got laser spot welding of my retina 2 days later. They had follow up visits every 3 weeks for a couple of months, then followups every 6 week for a year.

So, as I said, if the number, the style, or the size of the floaters changes significantly or suddenly, get checked out as soon as is practically possible.

terry_g
06-21-2010, 02:16 AM
I have lots of them in both eyes for over thirty of my fifty years.
Couple large ones in my right eye.
They resulted from tears in my retinas. the eye doctor said they are
common in near sighted people. I seldom even notice them any more.

Terry