PDA

View Full Version : Kinda OT....New edger

Uncle O
06-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Well I got a new lawn edger for fathers day, nothing fancy, just a simple edger. Craftsman Branded... I got thru about 18" of edge and realized something was going on.
Seems the sidebrackets are some type of terribly weak scrap metal, made in China....

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u278/Ohboy_album/grass_edger001.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u278/Ohboy_album/grass_edger005.jpg

Arcane
06-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Wow! That sucks! Sorta like buying a boat and finding a sticker on it that says "Do not immerse in water".

RWO
06-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Don't mean to belittle your gift, but even if it hadn't bent, you still have a POS. As you will discover if you have more than 10' of hard soil and/or tough grass to edge. They make power edgers for a reason. I went through the same experiment 38 years ago with the same design ( back then my back bent instead).

RWO

motorcyclemac
06-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Well....there is a reason to remove all that lawn...and replace it with green dyed concrete. Then you will get a pressure washer for father's day :)

That is one thing I like about living in the sticks. No reason to own such a tool. Edges...I got no stinking edges...I just mow up to where the black berries live. Places I can't mow get drenched in weed killer or torched with a propane burner.

Being a HSM kinda guy...I am sure you can engineer a better set of side supports for that. I can think of at least 10 different ways to fix that ....bad thing is only a couple take less than $500 and 3 weeks to build :)

wierdscience
06-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Have the wife and kids take it back and return with something engine driven.

Or-

A 2" wide paint roller and some Roundup makes a nice edgerless boarder:D

Uncle O
06-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Well they offered to get me a powered edger, but I declined believing that model shown would be sufficient. I don't have much walk to do.....anyway it was returned, and a little email sent off to Sears to tell them that they are selling crap for tools.

MotorradMike
06-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Uncle O:

Are you happy with the spirit of that gift? I'd be a bit p1ssed off. Would your wife like some kitchen crap for Christmas?

Just sayin'

reggie_obe
06-21-2010, 02:52 AM
A nursery spade with a properly sharpened edge does a great job edging sidewalks and driveways. No need for another engine to maintain or another single use tool.

Jim Shaper
06-21-2010, 03:39 AM
I'm so glad I make the mrs do the lawn work so I don't have bad experiences like this one. :D