PDA

View Full Version : Ways to hold down drill press or vertical bandsaw vise

MichaelP
06-21-2010, 01:49 PM
I have large floor drill press and vertical bandsaw with T-slotted tables.
I often use Heinrich vises and would like to find a clamp or another hold down device that would allow quick locking and unlocking. Position the vise, lock it down to the table, drill a hole, unlock, move the vise, repeat.

Are you aware of any T-slot based quick clamps? Maybe something like the HF Half-Vise-Grip look alike? Anything else? Something quicker than the regular milling machine strap clamps, yet with a good reach since the vise can be quite far from the nearest T-slot.

reggie_obe
06-21-2010, 04:08 PM
HF half-vise grip is a POS. Something like this: http://www.carrlane.com/Catalog/index.cfm/27825071F0B221118070C1C513E111D081B0006280B1713050 245221E0107070F1A3C3B2853574B54 , would work much better.

Peter.
06-21-2010, 04:32 PM
I saw some setting-out table tee-slot clamps made from cut-down cheap G-clamps sometime but I can't find where I saw them.

Taperturner
06-21-2010, 04:51 PM
I have large floor drill press and vertical bandsaw with T-slotted tables.
I often use Heinrich vises and would like to find a clamp or another hold down device that would allow quick locking and unlocking. Position the vise, lock it down to the table, drill a hole, unlock, move the vise, repeat.

Are you aware of any T-slot based quick clamps? Maybe something like the HF Half-Vise-Grip look alike? Anything else? Something quicker than the regular milling machine strap clamps, yet with a good reach since the vise can be quite far from the nearest T-slot.

I have designed a quick acting vice clamp which works with drill presses with round collumns. It is currently in manufacture in China and is marketed in UK by Warco Machine Tools and Accessories under the name "De-Vice." (www.warco.co.uk) It could be adapted to work with a band saw. It does not engage with tee slots but as all thrust, particularly on a drill press is downward - not lateral - tee slot attachment may not be necessary. I'm not sure about the band saw as this does involve some lateral force. I hope this helps. Taperturner.

MichaelP
06-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Very clever and clean design, Tapperturner! I wonder how you go around the racks on the side of some columns: some sort of a sliding outer sleeve?

Thank you, guys. Please keep ideas coming.

Arthur.Marks
06-24-2010, 12:10 PM
I must admit this question has baffled me as well. Taperturner's design is definitely very useful. I noticed a slightly different design based on a similar principle on the Ellis site not long ago:
http://www.ellissaw.com/Movies2/60/drill-press-accessories
http://www.ellissaw.com/Movies2/61/drill-press-operating

It is in the video for the "drill press accessories" and uses a long beam attached to a hold-down. You can see it in use on the second link, "drill press operating". I'm not sure if the assembly completely secures the vise or just changes your leverage on it to easily resist most drilling forces. It seems to swivel. I notice Taperturner's locks in all planes.

In any case, I find this thread highlights a valid point and useful question. There are a wealth of former production manufacturing drills around that are finding their way into home workshops. The permanently mounted fixtures are exchanged in favor of a more all-around use which necessitates mounting ideas such as Taperturner's.

MichaelP
06-25-2010, 12:21 AM
I cannot run those Ellis videos with my IE8 for some reason. :(

Paul Alciatore
06-25-2010, 01:06 AM
Companys like De-Sta-Co make quick acting, lever activated clamps for work working. You could add a stud and a tee-nut and put several of them in the tee slots and use them for quick clamping of the vise. Not as firm as a machining clamp, but probably OK if you use three or four. I would position them so the vise would strike the studs if it rotates.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#toggle-clamps/=7oi6r0

Look around page 2575 to 2577.