PDA

View Full Version : Me new toy.

John Stevenson
06-21-2010, 06:25 PM
I nearly posted this in the thread on indexing but decided it was different enough for it's own post.

On those motors I do I have to modify the mounting flanges to fit non standard hydraulic pumps, simple job, each of the 4 holes has to be slotted.

Originally I did them on the CNC but it spends a lot of it's time tied up on more exotic jobs so It did them manually as there aren't that many per month.

Bolt to the bed of the POS Bridgy using two location dowels in the stator slots, pick the hole up and slot, release the bolt, spin to the next stator slots, fasten, and mill that slot.
Rinse and repeat two more times, then change the flange.

Now the quantity is getting bigger, 53 this month so far and 43 advanced orders for July I decided to mount a rotary table on the POS so I only have to bolt it down once.

Advertised on the Free Home workshop advert site for a 8" or 10" rotary table, got an email of Circlip pointing me to an Ebay auction but by the time I has seen the email the auction had ended, no sweat it was down in south Wales anyway, too far to go.

So decided to look on ebay and spotted this.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/indexer2.jpg

10" air operated table with 4 positions, so bought it and collected it over the weekend.

Took the base off to have a look because usually these are 12 or 24 positions and you fit a mask for the number of positions you want.

Sure enough, 4 position mask fitted over a 24 position ratchet plate.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/indexer1.jpg

In very good condition, hardly looks used,
So make a quick mounting plate to accept both sizes of flange and go for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmrmD3iCNOk

Wow Wee, 38 seconds to do 4 slots, more time down the pub now :cool:

Seriously this has really speeded the job up, took details of the 4 position mask and will get the laser cutters to do me a 6 and 8 position one for other jobs that may appear.
Got it all setup about 11:00 am today, all 53 flanges done, dusted and packed in boxes by 4:15 this afternoon.

Weston Bye
06-21-2010, 06:43 PM
For years (way back in the past)I employed good industry practice and purpose-built fixtures and mechanism for production. Easily repaired with common tools and common sense.

Nowadays, CNC and other computer-controlled positioners are all the rage. The managers and designers now specify such stuff with no thought given to maintenance or repair - including the skills and knowledge of the poor maintenance man who has to keep the stuff running.

I witnessed the scrapping (tipped into a dumpster) of a mechanically sound and functional automated coil winder - because the control system was obsolete and ceased to function.

Good job on the table, Sir John.

boslab
06-21-2010, 07:53 PM
John, if you need it picked up in south Wales drop a line, i,m an official prisoner/resident/patient
mark

John Stevenson
06-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks for that mark but I missed it.
Ian emailed at 1:00, auction finished 1:30 but I didn't read Ian's message unto gone 4:00

As things turned out this worked out better and it was only an hour away and close to a pub :rolleyes:

motorworks
06-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Great Idea John and nice vid
I do something similar.
Old gearboxes from rewind shop had cover with 8 holes.Newer ones now have only 4. Need to cut 4 and make the others longer....
thanks
e
ps 10% ok :)

doctor demo
06-22-2010, 02:52 AM
John, First off nice score. Second, nice work. Third, Who is the clumsy bastar... in the video ? Looks like You hired some old guy to run the BP.

Steve:D :D

Mark McGrath
06-22-2010, 04:15 AM
Who is the clumsy bastar... in the video ? Looks like You hired some old guy to run the BP.

Steve:D :D

Steve,I`ve seen that old guy somewhere as well.I suppose John doesn`t want a younger guy showing him up.:D
Mark.

Circlip
06-22-2010, 04:40 AM
Few bits of Dexion, Air spindle and a pneumatic ram and you've a dedicated machine. Good that you picked up the second one, hopefully cheaper than the sheep sh***er one.

Regards Ian.

John Stevenson
06-22-2010, 05:05 AM
Hey, I just watched the video, what an ugly bastard, first thing this morning I'm going to sack that guy.

I mean I have seen ugly bastards before but this guy is abusing the privilege.

Paid 103 for it, two gallon of diesel to fetch it but the cruncher was I has to buy Gert a pie and a pint on the way back.

Mark McGrath
06-22-2010, 05:38 AM
I has to buy Gert a pie and a pint on the way back.

Was that as payment for her gear cutting tool idea? :D

Mark.

RobWilson
06-22-2010, 06:01 AM
Hi John

Cool bit of kit you got there

Rob

pgp001
06-22-2010, 06:46 AM
John

We "used" to use those pneumatic indexers at our firm for rotary table automatic shot blast machines.

All I will say is don't ever let any grit get inside !!

Looks to be a good solution to your problem though,

Phil

Circlip
06-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Oh, no, not the same Rob (No swarf or mess) Wilson of crappy casting fame??

Put yer location on mate.

Get yer brush and shovel and shop vac out Sir John. :D

Regards Ian

RobWilson
06-22-2010, 07:19 AM
Oh, no, not the same Rob (No swarf or mess) Wilson of crappy casting fame??

Put yer location on mate.

Get yer brush and shovel and shop vac out Sir John. :D

Regards Ian
Ha Ha Ha Ha I am he ,, :D

Cheers Rob

Circlip
06-22-2010, 08:15 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got back from the show, First person I bumped into inside, yep, like a fart in a space suit , His Worship. Had a fondle of the helcal gear (Smartarse).

First point of conversation, Have Evan and JT peed on the fence and electrocuted themselves yet?? Noooooooo, it's still rattleing on.

At one point, a group of us blocking the aisle, must have been more than three centuries worth of engineering expertise.

Show better than ever, makes NAMES look a bit like a garden party. Anyone on the wrong side of the pond, if you decide to have a look at how the mother country does the Homeshop/Muddle Ingineering make sure you come for THIS show.

Regards Ian.

Beware Rob, as one of the "Group" this :- is what we have to contend with from his worshipfullness.

Originally Posted by Circlip

must have been more than three centuries worth of engineering expertise.

Regards Ian.

That was just Ian.

:D

Yer gonna have to post some of yer "Crappy Castings Inc." picckys not to mention the Micky Mouse taper turning attachment in the show us yer home built section.

Regards Ian.

John Stevenson
06-22-2010, 08:29 AM
To get an idea of Robs work you need to read this post.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=3137.0

Just awesome and he's nearly as ugly as me............

Circlip
06-22-2010, 10:23 AM

No he's not.

I'll stand up for YOU Sir John.! :D

RobWilson
06-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the welcome ,,,,,,,, mmmmmmmmmm I think ha ha ha ha

Cheers John :D ,,,,,,,,,,,,, Ian since you asked so nicely i may post up ,, have to vack the shop first :p

Rob

Alistair Hosie
06-22-2010, 05:17 PM
but the cruncher was I has to buy Gert a pie and a pint on the way back
well 103 to be spent for the tool and 3 for gert eh? last of the big spenders :D Poor gert she's worth a 3 course chinky or indian with a glass of house wine at least :DAlistair

doctor demo
06-22-2010, 09:29 PM

I'm starting to feel under loved, the link says I'm not allowed to view the page.
John, how did You get the link to block only Me?

Steve:p

John Stevenson
06-23-2010, 05:04 AM
I'm starting to feel under loved, the link says I'm not allowed to view the page.
John, how did You get the link to block only Me?

Steve:p

It was a lot of work Steve :D

Try again that site was down for some time yesterday having work done on it.
There are quite a few members from the States so it can't be a location issue.

Actually that post probably isn't the best one although for me it was classic because up to this point everything that Rob did was perfect, he hacksaws a piece off a bar it's to 3 microns and you can see your face in it.

Evan is going to hate this guy :D

Then he does the casting bit and cocks up twice which proves he's human as well as ugly.

HEY UGLY don't forget to drop my FREE INT30 tooling off when you are passing next !!

RobWilson
06-23-2010, 05:55 AM
Ha ha ha ha ha morning John ,,,,,,,,, your going to give me a complex ,,,,,,, mmmmmmmmmm cool then i will be a complex simple ugly bloke :D

Got no INT30 :p ,,,,,,,,,,, If you mean your free INT40 stuff , coming down your way next week :D ,,,,,,,,,,,,were me DVD :(

Rob

Mark McGrath
06-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Got no INT30 :p ,,,,,,,,,,, If you mean your free INT40 stuff , coming down your way next week :D ,,,,,,,,,,,,were me DVD :(

Rob

Rob,are you sure it`s not R8 he wants,cos he`s a Bridgeport man thru and thru. :D
Mark.

BobWarfield
06-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Very cool project John.

For those that don't want to go whole hog CNC, I think projects like this are a cool way to get your feet wet and wind up with a very useful tool when done.

Motorizing a rotab gets you a very cool gizmo. Seems like I have seen dedicated boxes (John, don't you have something to do with this?) and maybe kits to do it. The end result seems just a lot more potent than a manual rotab or indexer.

TMT is asking after XY tables on another thread (lot of vinegar on that thread too, LOL). Why build an XY if you can buy a decent one cheap and CNC it? Probably be a very handy thing to have.

Cheers,

BW

Richard Wilson
06-24-2010, 08:15 AM

Is that what foundry patterns are supposed to look like? Till today I was very proud of the patterns/core boxes I had made for several big open crank engines and the planer. Compared to Robs they look like they have been cut with a hatchet. I think I'll go into the corner and cry. No wonder the foundry manager hides when he sees me coming in with another set of patterns.

Richard