PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes no matter how hard you try it goes right

loose nut
06-21-2010, 11:58 PM
A couple of weeks ago I had a rant thread about how things are always going wrong on me when I'm turning.

Well today I was turning down a length of tubing, 1 1/2" OD, between centers, there was a plug in the tailstock end and when I was finished I miced the diam. at each end. The taper was only 0.001" over 16". It wasn't critical that there wasn't a taper so I didn't check the tailstock alignment, I had put it right after the last time I had moved it off and the bed was leveled a couple of years ago but I haven't check it recently so by all rights and my past experiences it should have been royally buggered.

To make matters worse it, being tubing, usually turns crappy but I even got a reasonable finish.

My god, what did I do right.:eek:

dp
06-22-2010, 12:02 AM
My god, what did I do right.:eek:

About here you remember you'd dropped your mic and now find it has a hardspot on it right where you're measuring :)

Arcane
06-22-2010, 01:02 AM
If it were me, I'd cherish the moment, knowing it would never come again...:D

loose nut
06-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Ya I know it was a fluke, just natures way of setting me up for future torment.

oldbikerdude37
06-22-2010, 08:47 PM
you did a good job.

Oldbrock
06-22-2010, 09:17 PM
I know what you mean. Take a trial cut and get the di out to adjust the tailstock. Mike each end and "holy ****" it's the same each end!!!! What happened? Some days things just work out. Time to go out and buy a lottery ticket. Peter

wooleybooger
06-22-2010, 11:54 PM
your lucky moment has passed. should have bought the lottery ticket instead of fooling with the lathe.

Black Forest
06-23-2010, 02:35 AM
It is just the creator's way of messing with your head. Now you will be looking for things to go right. Before you sort of expected things not to go right so all was good.