PDA

View Full Version : We are very lucky here.

David Powell
06-22-2010, 08:48 AM
On this site the range of abilities within the contributors is remarkable, we have qualified engineers and technicians in all fields with years of practical and administrative experience, we have self taught enthuiasts who simply want to make or restore items. The one thing we have in common is that we all enjoy our home workshops.Some of us play for pleasure, others work at home to make a living, many of us do a bit of both. Given this, there are bound to be many ways of looking at particular problems, and probably a number of " good" ways of solving them. When we see a beginner, in any field, making a genuine attempt lets give a kind hand and sensible advice, not criticism based on our " superior" knowledge and experience. I doubt any of us got where we are in our home shops without listening to advice from others and receiving a helping hand from some.Expecting a wet day, going to hide in the shop and assemble a railway engine, regards to all David Powell.

Circlip
06-22-2010, 09:15 AM
When we see a beginner, in any field, making a genuine attempt lets give a kind hand and sensible advice

Without exception it always starts out this way David, unfortunately some abuse the branch.

Regards Ian.

A.K. Boomer
06-22-2010, 11:06 AM
This is a great site, the mix here is unparalleled and from around the globe...

There is no mistaking the wisdom of the seasoned veterans - but there is much to learn from the so called newbies,,, their strength lies in the fact that they look at things the only way they can --- like its a brand new situation, sometimes all you have to do is pay attention to what their saying - maybe throw in an old school trick and combined you come up with a better than ever way of doing things.

Even Albert E. made the statement "imagination is more important than knowledge"

Tony Ennis
06-22-2010, 12:30 PM
deleted, too easily misunderstood. :D

Black_Moons
06-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Yea I love the totaly diffrent solutions we come up with here. Post a problem and you'll get 4 totaly diffrent ways of doing it, and nobody really argues over whose way is best, because they all have advantages/disadvantages and use diffrent tool sets. Any way that has potential problems we'll usally identify and come up with solutions, Even if impratical we'll find a solution insted of insulting the idea, as it just becomes another fun problem to solve.

John Stevenson
06-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Even Albert E. made the statement "imagination is more important than knowledge"

Well bless me, imagine that ?

vpt
06-22-2010, 04:44 PM
I am young yet at 31, besides all the great advise, ideas, and problem solvers here one thing I really like is no childish bickering, name calling, and smack talk like I am used to seeing on other forums. I frequent car forums some of which are full of 16-20 year olds and the stupid talk just annoying.

Your Old Dog
06-22-2010, 04:54 PM
I am young yet at 31, besides all the great advise, ideas, and problem solvers here one thing I really like is no childish bickering, name calling, and smack talk like I am used to seeing on other forums. I frequent car forums some of which are full of 16-20 year olds and the stupid talk just annoying.

Trouble maker.

Tony Ennis
06-22-2010, 04:56 PM
I really like is no childish bickering, name calling, and smack talk like I am used to seeing on other forums.

Are we talking about the same forum?

oldbikerdude37
06-22-2010, 05:10 PM
I really like is no childish bickering, name calling, and smack talk like I am used to seeing on other forums

Yea this is the picky old fart forum. :D

vpt
06-22-2010, 05:22 PM

The bickering here is intelligent, I don't think I've seen "Yo" or a "sup" here yet.

smalltime
06-22-2010, 05:22 PM

Tony beat me to it......:eek:

Your Old Dog
06-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Yea this is the picky old fart forum. :D

Speak for yourself creep! :D

Sorry about the trouble maker crack but wanted to toughen you up in case someone who doesn't really know you wanders in here and starts slinging labels around. :D

Mcgyver
06-22-2010, 05:53 PM
The bickering here is intelligent, I don't think I've seen "Yo" or a "sup" here yet.

closest we get is 'nuff said :)

vpt
06-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Sorry about the trouble maker crack but wanted to toughen you up in case someone who doesn't really know you wanders in here and starts slinging labels around. :D

Consider me toughened up. ;)

oldbikerdude37
06-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Speak for yourself creep! :D

LOL you are a good guy.

John Stevenson
06-22-2010, 06:51 PM
LOL you are a good guy.

No he's not.........

loose nut
06-22-2010, 07:49 PM

Yo, was sup wit that dud. Git your bad ass down inta the shop and git 'er done man.

rohart
06-22-2010, 08:23 PM
My better half has been spending a lot more time (more than very little) on the computer lately.

Turns out she thought LOL meant lots of love !

Who am I to disillusion her ?

oldbikerdude37
06-22-2010, 08:36 PM
My better half has been spending a lot more time (more than very little) on the computer lately.

she might be sufring for some good love...

doctor demo
06-22-2010, 08:36 PM

ROFLMAO

have Her decipher that one...hint the L has nothing to do with love:D

Steve

petermac
06-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Hello,
The name here is peter, Been checking the site out for a while A lot of good stuff. I bought a 4x6saw I got short shipped. 1 little part To guige the speed the saw falls.The pice that stickes out on the saw would that be just an i bolt By the way I live in novascotia canada.

would apperciate a comment

DFMiller
06-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Today I confirmed that people here are great to yak with in person. At the great CNC workshop that VP our sponsor and George our moderator are putting on in Ann Arbor I met lots of interesting people who were a blast to chat with face to face.
I look forward to meeting more the rest of the week. If you are attending please come up and say hi. I am hard to miss, I have on my lime green safety Crocs. ;-)
My plan is to meet all the regulars here face to face. To date I have this year met Forrest, DP, Ernie. Ken S is scheduled later this summer and Sir John hopefully in the fall. I of course met the gracious host George. Weston managed to avoid me today but I will corner him tomorrow.

We are so lucky to have such a great bunch of smart,experienced people with a sense of humor willing to share.

Dave

Jim Doherty
06-22-2010, 09:27 PM
I agree we are very lucky to have such smart, generous folks on the board willing to spend their time to help those of us who don't have a clue. I hope to learn how to do things but also to change the way I think about fabricating objects. To quote Newton.
"If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants"
Thanks to all the giants on this board. All the tips, tricks, examples and questions answered are very much appreciated.

Welcome Peter, you can probably rig up a spring, piston or counter weight to make your saw drop slower.

Jim Doherty

John Stevenson
06-23-2010, 03:56 AM
I wouldn't mind visiting the States again.
I tried last year, got to Thiefrow Airport, put my baggage thru the X ray machine, had to take my shoes off and put them thru.

By the time I'd got my shoes back and put them on the flight had left :D.

I'm hoping to get what's left of my bag later this year.

Seriously it's nice being in a smaller country because you get to meet people easier at the shows, which are bigger, and just travelling about.

There are two main motorways that run north to south, the M1 starts at London, runs up central to Leeds which is about the middle of the UK, the M6 spurs off that and runs on the west coast all the way up to Scotland but not as far as Alistair's house.
In fact there are no roads to Alistair's house only goat tracks.

We are just off the M1, about 3 or 4 miles so it makes it handy for people to pop in and working from home chances are I'm in.

When I travel I always look to see who's in the area and give them a bell as we also run an unofficial deliver service and drop bits off with various people for the next stage of the parts trip.

Next month I have 3 days of training to do at 2 locations, one day is a one to one but the two days will take in 4 people who are sharing one guys machine. You get to meet some real interesting folk.

Weston Bye
06-23-2010, 06:01 AM
I agree we are very lucky to have such smart, generous folks on the board willing to spend their time to help those of us who don't have a clue. I hope to learn how to do things but also to change the way I think about fabricating objects. To quote Newton.
"If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants"
Thanks to all the giants on this board. All the tips, tricks, examples and questions answered are very much appreciated.

Welcome Peter, you can probably rig up a spring, piston or counter weight to make your saw drop slower.

Jim Doherty

Aw shucks Jim, you can get the same effect by standing on a pile of midgets and not repeating their errors.:D

Your Old Dog
06-23-2010, 06:29 AM
No he's not.........

Drop another mug on your toe? :D

Your Old Dog
06-23-2010, 06:37 AM
In fact there are no roads to Alistair's house only goat tracks. .....................................

It pains me to admit this but that crack was nothing short of brilliant! :D ROFLAMO! Tell me it ain't true Alistair!

http://www.buzzinbizarre.co.uk/files/2008/04/sam_the_goat.jpg

DFMiller
06-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Goats, I thought it was sheep.

A.K. Boomer
06-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Well bless me, imagine that ?

SJ - you ever think about teaching a young apprentice? If you truly found someone that was interested what a combo that would be,

"imagine" someone with your guidance who is full of enthusiasm,

Some of the reason we get "stuck in our ways" isn't just for the sake of them being the best ways, its a time proven survival tactic, it worked before and it will work again, it's playing it safe and you have to when stuff has to get out the door, All im saying is don't underestimate the kids, certain kids with interest have something we don't, maybe why most my friends are half my age but id rather have to deal with trying to explain why a different idea isn't practical than having no new idea's at all.

Another incentive is the fact that we lose 100,000 brain cells a day, and they don't grow back, not mentioning any name's (cuz id have to start with myself) but a trip down to the pub can make that a million.:p

cheerio...

A.K. Boomer
06-23-2010, 08:40 AM
It pains me to admit this but that crack was nothing short of brilliant! :D ROFLAMO! Tell me it ain't true Alistair!

http://www.buzzinbizarre.co.uk/files/2008/04/sam_the_goat.jpg

Where the hell is Hosie anyways? excuse the expression but haven't heard hide nor hair of em...

John Stevenson
06-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Another incentive is the fact that we lose 100,000 brain cells a day, and they don't grow back, not mentioning any name's (cuz id have to start with myself) but a trip down to the pub can make that a million.:p

cheerio...

I was going to reply to this but I've forgotten what I was going to post.

.:confused:

A.K. Boomer
06-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Was thinking maybe a kid to teach you some organization skills but then you wouldn't know where anything was:o plus he'd bleed to death in the process of trying to straighten things out --- (clumsy bastard)

That being said - nobody "gits er done" like you SJ,,, somehow in that pile of rubble there is some kind of supreme order somehow, I hate to admit it but my bench is always a mess also, I wish I was more tidy but nowadays it seems like such a waste of time.
Then again - it makes one feel pretty foolish when they go looking for a screw driver for 15 minutes when all along its traveling with them in their left hand:o

John Stevenson
06-23-2010, 06:19 PM
I did have an apprentice a while ago but I put him down and couldn't find him :(

Seriously nowadays if you employ, you have to employ 3 or more to make it worthwhile. There is the exact same paper trail , health and safety for one as for 3 or more.

I don't have the space for 3, to be honest I struggle sometimes with just me and it really slows you down with someone under your wing.

If my company was bigger it would work but with it just being me a trip out for spares means we would both have to go as the lad couldn't be left on his own. Also doesn't mean to say they would stick it, last lad was a nice lad, willing and bright but he wanted to join the airforce.

He'd been turned down once but made it on the second attempt and left. So two years training went down the swanny just as he was getting up to speed.

So I use the people on this forum as my apprentices :p

See the post on broken stud I'll be posting in a few minutes.