PDA

View Full Version : Building a small X/Y table

Too_Many_Tools
06-22-2010, 05:03 PM
The thread discussing small homebuilt machines has a small X/Y table shown.

Since I have several machines that could use custom sized X/Y tables, I would be interested in seeing what others have done in building small X/Y tables.

Thanks

TMT

Waterlogged
06-22-2010, 05:13 PM
TMT,

Do you actually make any of the items that you ask for ideas and pictures about or do you just post? I have to ask because at the rate you post your questions, you must be a very busy person or have an army of people working for you.

My turn...TMT, can we see pictures of your items that you've made following the requests for info and pictures?

reggie_obe
06-22-2010, 05:29 PM
I'd like to see photos of the machines that are just screaming out loud for an X/Y table. Of course the home brew table must incorporate: accurately machined acme screws and nuts; backlash compensation; large, clearly engraved dials.

Too_Many_Tools
06-22-2010, 05:37 PM
LOL..a couple folks off their feed?

Or maybe a couple more sellers with everlasting Buy It Nevers?

Yes I do build...when time permits.

The request concerning X/Y tables is designed to encourage discussion with the "small homebuilt machine" thread.

As for machines, a number of mills, drills, slotters, grinders, saws, EDMs that could use a small custom X/Y table.

Pictures? Kinda of hard since I am 1800 miles from my shop right now.

TMT

Mcgyver
06-22-2010, 05:48 PM
I'd like to see photos of the machines that are just screaming out loud for an X/Y table. Of course the home brew table must incorporate: accurately machined acme screws and nuts; backlash compensation; large, clearly engraved dials.

don't hold your breath.......hey there's another thread idea for you TMT . when you fart , a really bad one, when running the lathe, do you hold your breath or do you stop the machine and move away. Im curious what others do in their shops because i have a lot of lathes and a lot farts

:D

high time for pics TMT, we're either going to be amazed and drooling or have it confirmed you're a troll. Me, i kinda stopped believing in the tooth fairy....lets see these mills, drills, slotters, grinders, saws, EDMs

Tony Ennis
06-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Cognitive dissonance... (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=42078)

Too_Many_Tools
06-22-2010, 06:05 PM
don't hold your breath.......hey there's another thread idea for you TMT . when you fart , a really bad one, when running the lathe, do you hold your breath or do you stop the machine and move away. Im curious what others do in their shops because i have a lot of lathes and a lot farts

:D

high time for pics TMT, we're either going to be amazed and drooling or have it confirmed you're a troll. Me, i kinda stopped believing in the tooth fairy....lets see these mills, drills, slotters, grinders, saws, EDMs

LOL..I see you haven't kicked your dog yet today.

Or maybe you are just another Buy It Never selling groupie...your sarcasm seems to be following any Ebay related post I make.

And about those farting lathes you have...make sure you have everything grounded so there is no static electricity...we would sure hate to read about a HSMer blowing himself up. ;<)

TMT

Waterlogged
06-22-2010, 06:25 PM
TMT...maybe rephrase your requests for info so that it is clearly understood that you are soliciting discussion. When I first read one of your posts, it sounded as if you actually had plans to make the item you were requesting information about. And then you express "disappointment" when nobody replies or takes the time to upload pictures for you to view. I find it a little misleading to people who don't know your posting history.

Mcgyver
06-22-2010, 06:36 PM
LOL..I see you haven't kicked your dog yet today.

I'm good now :D

but please....lets see these mills, drills, slotters, grinders, saws, EDMs

Mike of the North
06-22-2010, 06:51 PM
I would be interested in seeing pictures of anybody's attempt at converting a small production horizontal mill to having a hand wheel feed table. This is what I have and I would like to be able to feed it with hand wheels and a lead screw, I hope I will be able to retain the lever feed and be able to switch back and forth between the two different feeds.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg65/schmalenberg/DSC02301_2.jpg

oldbikerdude37
06-22-2010, 06:52 PM
I would just buy a cheapo and tweak it to work for the jobs needed.
I would not build one when I can get one for $99

Waterlogged
06-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Mike,

I've been in the same position as you on the production model mill and sold it because it was easier to buy another than to convert it. Not that it can't be done, but the amount of work involved wasn't worth it to me personally. If you want to do it, take a look at the Yahoo Groups for Benchmasters, Barkers and Burkes. They made both versions of those mills and there are drawings available in the "files" sections of the sites showing the differences, along with plenty of member discussion.

Fasttrack
06-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Good grief people. What happened? I leave for two weeks and I can't hardly find a single thread where people aren't b*tching at each other.

Leave the man alone. I'm in Boston taking a course at MIT for accelerator physics. I get on here for a distraction so I can relax after 6 hours of lecture and 2 hours of lab and about 6 hours of homework. It's nice to be able to join in a discussion about machining even if I can't participate right now.

I like to gather ideas for future projects and collect tips even when I'm not in the shop. The way I see it, TMT is just trying to keep the hen house from going crazy by introducing some ON TOPIC discussion.

<RANT OFF>

TMT - I don't think a homemade XY table is very useful. It's a lot of work to get one that is accurate and if you don't need the accuracy, than you can buy one for cheap from China. It might be an interesting project, but personally it'd be pretty low on my priority list.

oldbikerdude37
06-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Good grief people. What happened? I leave for two weeks and I can't hardly find a single thread where people aren't b*tching at each other.

Leave the man alone. I'm in Boston taking a course at MIT for accelerator physics. I get on here for a distraction so I can relax after 6 hours of lecture and 2 hours of lab and about 6 hours of homework. It's nice to be able to join in a discussion about machining even if I can't participate right now.

I like to gather ideas for future projects and collect tips even when I'm not in the shop. The way I see it, TMT is just trying to keep the hen house from going crazy by introducing some ON TOPIC discussion.

<RANT OFF>

TMT - I don't think a homemade XY table is very useful. It's a lot of work to get one that is accurate and if you don't need the accuracy, than you can buy one for cheap from China. It might be an interesting project, but personally it'd be pretty low on my priority list.

My goodness, you are doing that? Yow

Theres no money in that crap, you would be better of welding hitches on motor homes for rich folks.

rohart
06-22-2010, 07:57 PM
I recommend buying X-Y tables rather than making them. Even one.

I've just finished making one slide, a proper one, LH custom ACME thread feed screw - the works - but it was a learning experience, and the design and the execution both have faults. It was a LOT of work ! If I could magic a few out of thin air... It was aimed at being the base for a ball turner, but I spent so long on it that it had better be able to do some other jobs too !

Maybe you could speed the job up by using standard threads, fatter construction so you're not spending a lot of time squeezing the nut in between the base and the slide, sloppier fits, and so on.

But by then, you might as well have bought cheaply anyway.

I'd only make another if it was for a real special keeper of a project.

Black_Moons
06-22-2010, 08:14 PM
I would just buy a cheapo and tweak it to work for the jobs needed.
I would not build one when I can get one for $99

Tip: Never ask the uninformed to go out and buy one for ya.. I did that and apparently they picked up the one thats been siting as a display model for the past 10 years.

Was rusted in spots all over under the 'wax oil paper' crap, and one axis was so badly bent that it actualy binded badly every revolution, Nevermind the HUGE perodic error that was evident due to the binding.

Fasttrack
06-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Theres no money in that crap, you would be better of welding hitches on motor homes for rich folks.

No doubt about that. But while you folks are out there making the world turn, I'll be sitting in the AC goofing off ;) :D

Rohart - I, for one, would love to see some pictures. I've got a "serious" project list written up and I just recently added a ball turner. I was thinking about making my own dovetail slide for the turner to practice scraping. I'm sure I could learn a lot from your experiences.

DFMiller
06-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Nice looking horizontal. I have a Barker with levers that I just started to clean off the years of brass and grunge off of. It now moves in all axis. The nice thing about a small XY is that you can use the cheaper Acme lead stews with 0.001" or less error per foot as the throw is 3.5 x 8 :-)
Then again I might just have to put some ball screws on it and CNC it. It should have a much larger metal removal rate than my Sherline. As noted by other the Yahoo groups have details on converting to leadscrews. I think there is also a good article by Carter on doing a Barker.
Dave

Rex
06-23-2010, 11:23 AM
I spent a lot of time last year stripping, cleaning, and painting a Burke #4 with lever feed. Man, that thing looked like brand new!
'Cept the levers were missing.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/rburkheimer/Burke1.jpghttp://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/rburkheimer/Burke2.jpg
I scratched my head over how to move the table. I wasn't about to pay DC Morrison prices for the conversion parts.
I decided either the Enco X-Y table (the long one) or a minimill table could be made to fit the knee. The minimill table base would need to be milled down quite a bit.
But the biggest issue is that I did not think either table was robust enough to handle the X-loads that a horizontal facing cutter is capable of dishing out.
So, for that particular machine, I think the best solution was to buy the OE parts for the Y-axis, which is the easy & cheap part. Restore the X-axis to lever feed. for the purposes of a small horizontal mill, this seemed like the way to go.
I ended up selling it as-is at a good price, so I can't offer much beyond that.

BobWarfield
06-23-2010, 01:54 PM

<RANT OFF>

Amen. Some peeps gotta tear down, even if they themselves are talented. But, TMT doesn't seem to be taking it too seriously so neither should we.

Watcha studying particle accelerators for? Gonna build one or help build one?

Cheers,

BW

Fasttrack
06-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Watcha studying particle accelerators for? Gonna build one or help build one?

Cheers,

BW

:) Last summer I worked on the ATLAS experiment at the LHC. My project fell under "experimental high energy physics", which basically means I just play with the data that the machine produces. This summer I thought I should learn a little bit more about the hardware that generated the data for my previous research. Plus my employer is paying me to take this course, so I couldn't refuse. ;)

Incidentally, low energy particle accelerators are all over in industry. Accelerator physics wouldn't be a bad field to go into. Not really my cup of tea, but not bad, either.

rohart
06-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Fast - I'll aim for taking some pictures (pun, anyone ?) by the weekend.

Just seven more tapped holes tomorrow, and then I'll see what I really measured wrong !

BobWarfield
06-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Incidentally, low energy particle accelerators are all over in industry. Accelerator physics wouldn't be a bad field to go into. Not really my cup of tea, but not bad, either.

We used to all have one pointed at our faces when we watched TV before flat panels, <G>.

Was somewhere the other day and someone had a Van De Graf on their desk. I really wanted to go over and see it, but the opportunity did not present.

Cheers,

BW