PDA

View Full Version : newbie here

swc64844
06-22-2010, 06:44 PM
New guy here would anyone like to share pics of there shops? I putting one together and would like some ideas.

davidh
06-22-2010, 10:31 PM
no pix sorry, but mine is 8 ft by 32 feet with a bridgeport, 13" floor lathe, a 40 ton press, and a ace grinder, a roll around cart, a wood planer, two bench grinders, and on and on and on...... then the walls are covered with all the **** from the floor up, plus a bunch more under the machines....

its just big enuf to be reasonable to heat here in the frozen northland. . .

i guess it depends on what you are going to put in it, and what you intend to do when all your stuff is there. . . oh, you never will have all your stuff there as the amount of stuff multiplies yearly.

davidh
06-22-2010, 10:32 PM
where are my manners. . . . . .Welcome to the group. Great bunch of folks here, more than willing to help, just ask away,
no question is dumb, only the answers are. . . .
davdih

jb-mck
06-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Welcome to the forum. I am pretty new myself. I work out of a three car garage. I built a pony wall to separate the wifes car from my area. Works well given the situation but I'm ready for my own space. Plans are to sell out of the neighborhood and move to country.

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/jb-mck/shop/DSCN1774.jpg

Cobbler
06-23-2010, 01:12 AM
What you are building makes a huge difference in how tight you can cram a workshop. Mine is very crammed but all I do in it is build guns and build jigs and tools for building guns. The only things where I had to give great consideration to space was being able to get something into the through hole of the lathe and making sure I left enough room to hang things off the table of the mill.

If space is not the issue that it is for me, by all means, take advantage of it.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x308/kennyrolling/Workshop13-1.jpg

Alphawolf45
06-24-2010, 09:39 PM
You may learn as much by asking guys what they'd do different with their shop were they to do it over..... I should have put a bathroom in mine..:eek:
And I wish I had setup the shop so I could best see who is driving into the yard and to better watch my weener dogs so they dont get run over..
I am presently considering putting my rotary phase converter outside the shop building. Its currently inside the closet next to my machinery rooms but its still noisy / irritating...and it would run cooler outdoors under a ventilated cover..