PDA

View Full Version : OT: Earthquake

Duffy
06-23-2010, 02:20 PM
About onehalf hour ago, we had an earthquake. It sounded like a train going by, but we have no trains nearby. I went outside to see if the guys next door, who are building a two story house, did something RERALLY stupid. No apparent damage, some stuff rattled on the shelves. I will say this; if you are invited to an earthquake, even a LITTLE one like this was, give it a miss! I have heard nothing official and, living in the Nation's Capital, until we are Officially Told, then it was probably a halucination.

Your Old Dog
06-23-2010, 02:34 PM
They say it was centered around Quebec City. The radio stations here in Wester New York are going on and on about it and they've had no facts at all, only speculation. I was listening to another program when they did a program interrupt to tell me speculation !!! One guy was so rattled on the radio he said it was .5 on the Richter scale. Another says it was 5.0.......huge difference!

I was taking a nap when the dog came in and started licking my arm trying to wake me up. He usually only does that when somethings wrong but he does lie a lot.

MotorradMike
06-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Apparently it was a 5.5.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2010xwa7.php#details

Most of us ran out of the building, I thought the AC was coming through the ceiling but in California, maybe it would not have raised an eyebrow.

Your Old Dog
06-23-2010, 02:40 PM
here's a newsreport from my old alma mater

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/local/Apparent-earthquake-hits-WNY

Here's Google of epicenter as taken from USGS coordinates: Not much in area but trees.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=45.862%C2%B0N,+75.457%C2%B0W&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=38.144864,79.365234&ie=UTF8&ll=45.86515,-75.456676&spn=0.065625,0.15501&t=h&z=13

vpt
06-23-2010, 04:06 PM
What was the link for national earth quake records or whatever it is called?

Evan
06-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Back about 1983 or so we had one here that shook things pretty good. That is very unusual as this is not an earthquake zone and there aren't any faults where it occurred. It was centred north of Prince George and measured something like 6.4 on the R scale, which is pretty strong. The seismologists were very puzzled at to what may have caused it. The best they could come up with is that a giant underground cavern collapsed but there was no evidence of it on the surface.

The strongest earthquake I have experienced was a little over magnitude 7. That gets your attention even if you are driving. Smaller quakes happen all the time on the coast here but we don't feel them in Williams Lake. Some day there could be a quake as strong as magnitude 9 in the Vancouver area. If that happens Vancouver is toast and we will most certainly feel it here. The historical records show that they happen about once every 300 years and the area is a bit overdue for the next one.

It is a bit worrisome that there have been some major quakes along the Pacific Rim lately. It is thought by some that they can act as triggers for quakes in other areas. Right now the main subduction zone off the coast of Vancouver Island is locked tight and the stress is constantly building as the Pacific crustal plate continues to move toward the North American Continental Plate. The question isn't IF it will let go, only WHEN it will.

Similar events are in store for the California zone. They are still waiting for the BIG ONE. It will happen along the San Andreas Fault which is a different type of fault. It is a strike/slip fault with horizontal relative motion right at the surface. In the 1906 earthquake some portions of the fault moved as far as 60 feet in a couple of minutes. It's like something out of a bad movie except it is real. The 1906 quake scrambled up surveys all over the state and even misaligned roads and rivers. Some quakes have altered the lay of the land enough to make portions of rivers run backward.

saltmine
06-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Out here in the West, they don't even report an earthquake unless it's a 6 or better.

Probably why everybody is so messed up out here, they're used to walking on a pitching, swaying deck, 1000 miles from the ocean.

vpt
06-23-2010, 06:34 PM
What was the link for national earth quake records or whatever it is called?

Here it is:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/region/N_America.php

J. Randall
06-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Here is another good reason for putting a location in your profile, your post was meaningless to me until other posters chimed in with the location.
James

brian Rupnow
06-23-2010, 07:02 PM
We got a pretty good shake here in Barrie. I was setting at the computer working, when all of a sudden the monitor began to sway back and forth---then my chair, which is on casters started to sway a little bit. My first thought was that maybe somebody blew up a bunch of polititicians at the G8 or G20 summit. (I'm about half way between Toronto and Huntsville). Then after about 10 minutes my daughter called from Toronto and confirmed that yes, it was an earthquake.

Evan
06-23-2010, 07:19 PM
My first thought was that maybe somebody blew up a bunch of polititicians at the G8 or G20 summit.

Wishful thinking.

Chester
06-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Nothing felt here, I am right close to the airport. Neighbour said his Jack Russell went nuts just before it happened.........so maybe there was something, am not as perceptive as that dog I guess.

Too_Many_Tools
06-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Anyone have a detector for earthquakes running?

TMT

Evan
06-23-2010, 10:05 PM
I don't bother running my seismograph any more. NASA World Wind has close to real time display of earth quakes.

http://ixian.ca/pics7/nasaww.jpg

Mike Burch
06-24-2010, 02:03 AM
I grew up with frequent earthquakes in Wellington, New Zealand's capital, which is built right on a major fault – but the most frightening quake I ever experienced was in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, several hundred miles from land, on a 40' ketch.
The whole boat suddenly shook violently for about 30 seconds, and I didn't know what the hell was happening. I later learned that it had been a Force 7-point-mumble earthquake, and that I'd been just about directly above the epicentre.

spkrman15
06-24-2010, 08:50 AM
The epicentere was in a little town called Val-Des bois. I actually went to school there. My parents live 15 miles north from it and i live 35 miles south from it. It lasted over a minute. I would say close to 2 actuall minutes, at least where i am. I lost power, for a short time and watched the antenas on the truck sway back and forth. I did get one after shock but my parents felt several for over an hour after the intial wave.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2010/06/23/14492531.html

I can't imagine how people felt when they were hit with that big one in Chile. Puts things in perspective.

Rob :)

Your Old Dog
06-24-2010, 04:07 PM
This was on a facebook posting today the audio is reminescent to me of a tornado but it's the quake.

http://www.youtube.com/v/CKg4skHe3V8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src=

.......this is why I hate Windows 7. Anyone know how to fix the link?