PDA

View Full Version : Reducing parts washer smell tip..

derekm
06-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Parts washers which use solvents such as Kersoene etc (parafin over here) These often leave a smell on you that SWMBO objects to. This is a tip to reduce the smell of the solvent used.
Take an empty 0.5Kg 1Lb tin.
Drill some 4mm (3/16th) holes in it.
fill it with BBQ charcoal, use the small bits out of the bottom of the charcoal bag.
place the tin in the part washer under the solvent flow so that the part washer pours its solvent continually through the charcoal. After a few hours the solvent is almost odourless.
The solvent soaked charcoal is quite useful for starting the BBQ (be careful)

Fasttrack
06-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Parts washers which use solvents such as Kersoene etc (parafin over here) These often leave a smell on you that SWMBO objects to. This is a tip to reduce the smell of the solvent used.
Take an empty 0.5Kg 1Lb tin.
Drill some 4mm (3/16th) holes in it.
fill it with BBQ charcoal, use the small bits out of the bottom of the charcoal bag.
place the tin in the part washer under the solvent flow so that the part washer pours its solvent continually through the charcoal. After a few hours the solvent is almost odourless.

Good tip! Incidentally, they sell deodorized solvents and that is exactly how they do it. As far as I know, deodorized kerosene has just been "filtered" with activated charcoal.

Dr Stan
06-23-2010, 05:33 PM

Just don't cook with it. You'll have some petroleum tasting food. :eek:

Duffy
06-23-2010, 06:41 PM
That is really not true "activated" charcoal, but it works, it is cheap and it is re-usable. That is a difficult combination to beat! I doubt very much if broken charcoal briquets would work as well, since they use a petroleum-based binder, (some kind of pitch.)

JanvanSaane
06-23-2010, 06:54 PM
I love the smell of parts washer solvent in the morning,,, It smells like victory. :D Jan