PDA

View Full Version : Please help cracked clausing headstock case

7722eric
06-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Hi,
Sometime ago I started restoring a clausing 4900 10 x24 lathe. I was installing the bearings in the headstock and cracked the case. Does anybody have or know where I may find a used one? I will talk to a welder in the am to see if it can be repared. I would perfer to find one. I sent an email to Joe at plaza machine to see if he had any ideas and I will see what clausing has to offer. Thanks in advance.
Eric

Dr Stan
06-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Check with Craig Donges over at Practical Machinist.

J. R. Williams
06-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Many years ago at a place I worked they had a large piston pump case cracked and it was 'stitched' back together with a series of small dumbell shaped metal keys that were inserted into a slot with a drilled hole at each end. After many keys were inserted and pounded in place the old Aldrich pump was back in operation and not leaking oil. I have no idea if the company is still in the business.

JRW

doctor demo
06-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Check with Craig Donges over at Practical Machinist.
Yeah check with him...but don't buy anything unless You inspect it Yourself first.

Steve

Herb W
06-24-2010, 03:37 AM
Many years ago at a place I worked they had a large piston pump case cracked and it was 'stitched' back together with a series of small dumbell shaped metal keys that were inserted into a slot with a drilled hole at each end. After many keys were inserted and pounded in place the old Aldrich pump was back in operation and not leaking oil. I have no idea if the company is still in the business.

JRW

http://www.locknstitch.com
No personal experience, but hear it works well.

MuellerNick
06-24-2010, 03:55 AM
An other source would be Metalock. (http://www.metalockinternational.org/)

No experience with it.

Nick

winchman
06-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Where is the crack, and how bad is it? Pics?

JoeLee
06-24-2010, 10:53 AM
If you cracked the case anywhere near the beaing seat and managed to repair it the chances of the spindle running true would be slim to none. I would look for another case.
Just curious.......... how did you manage to crack the case ??

JL...................

7722eric
06-24-2010, 01:33 PM
First I would like to thank all that replied. I cracked it near the bearing support for the spindle. I was working late on it after normal work rushing to finish puting it back together. I took a short cut. I used the case to hold the bearing as I pushed the shaft thru. I was not paying super close attention and cought a sholder of the shaft on the casting. As I said being in a hurry the bearing stopped sliding on so I gave it a little extra pressure to free it. That was my moment of stupid...I know better the next thing I knew I was reminded the cast materail is not very forgiving. I talked to my welder and he said the same might crack and will not run true. So the quest is on to find another case. I thought I would grind a vee in the crack and braze it. Not too strong and the trueness came up again. Painfull and heart breaking.
Eric

7722eric
06-24-2010, 01:34 PM
I will try to get intouch with Craig at practical machinist. Any other thoughts???
Eric

Circlip
06-24-2010, 01:53 PM
If you are going to try to reclaim the casting, drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it running further. Providing you are at the end.

Used to have Textile machinery castings mended with the lockstich/metaloc method.

Regards Ian.

Dr Stan
06-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I will try to get intouch with Craig at practical machinist. Any other thoughts???
Eric

You may want to check with Yahoo Groups to see if there is a Clausing Group. I know there is an Atlas shaper & miller group as I am a member. Worth a shot.

Try this search term in Google:

"clausing lathe": site:craigslist.org

notice the quotes & spaces as they are important. I got 125 hits so that should not be too many to sift through. BTW, I tried "clausing lathe parts" and "clausing parts" No hits.

Of course there is FleaBay (EBay). :(

Good luck on your search.

BTW, the lockstich/metaloc method may be your best bet. Sometimes, but rarely, there can be some alignment issues, but no where near the problems associated with welding. Welding cast iron, especially that which is permeated with oil is no fun. The very first step would be to bake out the oil, which in itself can cause enough stress relief to change the dimensions of the casting.

radkins
06-24-2010, 06:35 PM
I would grind a vee in the crack and braze it. Not too strong and the trueness came up again.Eric

Don't underestimate the strength of a properly done braze weld, it is a heck of a lot stronger than most people think and can easily equal or even exceed the strength of an iron casting. Also if the entire case is properly preheated and allowed to cool evenly it is certainly possible to maintain some semblance of alignment, I have been successful doing this on gear boxes and just recently even managed to repair a broken hydraulic valve body. I am not suggesting this would be better than replacing the housing, that would definitely be the best option, however brazing may be a viable alternative if a replacement can not be found. Losing alignment may be a concern but it is very much possible to do this successfully and IMHO strength would not be an issue.

John Stevenson
06-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Depending on many factors, where, how big, position etc you may get away with holding the plot together with loctite.

Need to see pic's really to advise.

lazlo
06-24-2010, 06:55 PM
I have the same lathe, and the problem you're going to have with brazing the crack is that it's an oil-lubed headstock, and there are drip oiling ports going down to the spindle bearings, which is where I'm guessing you cracked the casting. If the braze had any chance of sticking, you'd have to thoroughly clean it out, and then bake out 40 years of oil.

Did you crack the bearing pocket?

gaston
06-24-2010, 07:41 PM
clausing 4900 headstock for sale on Portland OR. craigslist posting id 1796693075 150.00
Ken 360 910 1617 cell phone
this was posted June 17th, he may still have it

7722eric
06-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Guys Thanks for the great leads. Gaston I called ken and left a message this would be just to good to be true. Sorry about no photos as I am on the road till Monday. Thanks again.
Eric

RancherBill
06-24-2010, 10:39 PM
The guy you want is at WeldingWeb.com his user name is castweld.

Check out his posts and projects - they are absolutely awesome. It is his business.

macona
06-25-2010, 01:34 AM
Guys Thanks for the great leads. Gaston I called ken and left a message this would be just to good to be true. Sorry about no photos as I am on the road till Monday. Thanks again.
Eric

Ken is a good guy. A machinist who does part time machinery buying and selling. He let me use is Clausing 2500 when I needed to turn down a ball screw end since my lathe did not have a large enough through hole.

-Jerry

Fireman11
06-25-2010, 01:59 PM
There was one on ebay recently, someone was parting out a 49xx. I also saw one selling for parts for $500. keep an eye out.

lazlo
06-25-2010, 04:53 PM

Check out his posts and projects - they are absolutely awesome.

Wow, he's incredible! Every time I do those kind of welds, I get the Ting! (and yes, I pre- and post-heat)...

oldbikerdude37
06-25-2010, 05:17 PM

Check out his posts and projects - they are absolutely awesome. It is his business.

I bet that guy could weld standing on his head, this thread is impressive.
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=42819

rgbai
06-25-2010, 08:06 PM
not a headstock but looks like welding worked well here.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/cast-iron.htm

7722eric
06-26-2010, 04:40 PM
I just wanted to say thanks for all the great info. Looks like I found a case up in VT.
Eric