PDA

View Full Version : OT: iPhone 4

macona
06-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Got my new iPhone today. This thing is incredible. PDFs look great. It's great for looking at manuals and datasheets with the high screen res. You can't even see the pixels with the naked eye.

oldbikerdude37
06-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Apple always comes up with an idea thats years later then they act like like its new.

they think they invented the mouse. e mail, web browser, the phone, video mail,,,, all that was done long ago.

microsoft made the I pad in 2002. Apple makes me sick and thier junk wont even play my kids video games.

no way will I buy Iapple crap.

MuellerNick
06-24-2010, 05:56 PM
microsoft made the I pad in 2002.

How well did it sell? Was 2002 before the MessagePad?

Not saying that I need an iPhone, to me it doesn't make sense.

Nick (on his iPad)

lazlo
06-24-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm also up for an iPhone equipment renewal, but I'll looking pretty hard at the Droid-X.

My iPhone 3GS was a step backward from the 3G: it added a compass, that no one uses, overclocked the same ARM processor from 400 Mhz to 600 Mhz, and reduced the of the battery by 25%. So the 3GS battery life is far worse than the 3G: I can't get more than 6 hours of run-time. :(

I’ve been running iPhone 4.0 for a week now, and I’m not impressed. They *finally* added wallpaper, and the icons fly-out when you first open the home screen, and the compass heading shows on the top task bar, but other than that, it basically the same a 3.0

The “multitasking” is completely bogus: it’s a app launcher that can launch the previously touched apps, but I haven’t found any apps so far that can run in the background: Pandora can’t, none of the IM programs can…

The primary feature of the iPhone 4G is the high resolution screen: 960x640. But the human eye is apparently not capable of seeing 326 DPI, so Apple cleverly branded it the “Retina Display” (meaning, you can’t see the extra resolution :)).

iPhone 4’s ‘Retina’ Display Claims Are False Marketing

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/iphone-4-retina/

macona
06-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Apple always comes up with an idea thats years later then they act like like its new.

they think they invented the mouse. e mail, web browser, the phone, video mail,,,, all that was done long ago.

microsoft made the I pad in 2002. Apple makes me sick and thier junk wont even play my kids video games.

no way will I buy Iapple crap.

No, they just make things pretty and usable.

Lazlo, that arrow in the bar seems to just be an indicator showing gps is active.

So far I like it. Considerable speedup from the 3.

I have pandora running in the background right now.

lazlo
06-24-2010, 06:51 PM
I have pandora running in the background right now.

Is there anything you need to do to make it run in the background? When I run Pandora on my 3GS with iPhone 4.0, it stops playing when I run another app?

I can't get Beejive (IM app) to run in the background either -- it automatically disconnects you when you close the app.

macona
06-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Did you update the apps. The new version has the APIs in it it needs to multitask. Other than that the thing should work. Unless something in the plist file got the multitask turned off.

Not sure about beejive. I dont use IM.

Heres another article about the display res issue.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/06/10/resolving-the-iphone-resolution/

danlb
06-24-2010, 07:55 PM
That discover magazine was a nice writeup.

As far as MS tablet vs Apple... It tried the MS tablet and hated it. Poor display, even worse battery life and not everything worked with it's interface either. On top of that they were fragile and tended to break.

As far as "invention VS copy"... They all copy. MS is becoming more mac/unix like with every iteration. Heck, the microsoft TCP stack and utilities (networking software) had Berkeley Unix copyright strings in it at one point. I love the fact that MS TV ads are touting "new features" that have been available for years in other OSes.

I won't be buying the ipone4 or ipad for a while. There's just not enough there to convince me to marry AT&T for another 2 years. I like my Iphone 3gs just fine.

Dan

DFMiller
06-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Have they released os 4.0 for iPad yet. I am on the road and have not launched iTunes yet.
People may say the iPad sucks but I love mine. I have not had my net book on for a week and this thing does everything I need except running solid works which my net book won't do either
Dave on the road with a smile and an iPad

Bmyers
06-24-2010, 10:24 PM
No OS 4 for the iPad yet. I am on mine now and just checked.

wierdscience
06-24-2010, 10:42 PM
What I want to know is,does anybody still make a cell phone that just sends and recieves calls and nothing else?

Reason I ask is I don't need the butt wiper,salt and pepper shaker,nipple shaver or tatto gun features on the new phones.

All I want is a phone that rings(yes that's what a phone used to do before Lady Gaga skanked up the world)Press one button to send and another to recieve.I don't need a mulch setting or upholstry sewing as a feature.
Is it too much to ask?

mochinist
06-24-2010, 10:53 PM
What I want to know is,does anybody still make a cell phone that just sends and recieves calls and nothing else?

Reason I ask is I don't need the butt wiper,salt and pepper shaker,nipple shaver or tatto gun features on the new phones.

All I want is a phone that rings(yes that's what a phone used to do before Lady Gaga skanked up the world)Press one button to send and another to recieve.I don't need a mulch setting or upholstry sewing as a feature.
Is it too much to ask?
I have no idea how good their service is, but they offer what you want.

http://www.jitterbug.com/http://www.jitterbug.com/images/Phones/PhonesGraphite.jpg

macona
06-25-2010, 12:23 AM
Yeah, there are still a bunch of cheap flip phones out there. I dont think you will find one without a camera though. They are just too cheap not to add.

iOS 4 for iPad is supposed to be out this fall. Must be a big revision. I expect a major phone os update as well.

Lazlo is right about the iOS update not being a whole lot. There is multitasking, well, not true multitasking, but good enough for 99.9& of everyone. But it doesnt work on the 3G and wall papers, which do not work on the 3G. Some people edited the plist that controls the preferences to turn it on and there was a pretty major slowdown.

The new Mail app has a couple nice features. Groups conversations like GMail does. Displays the inbox of all of the mail accounts as one. Thats real nice. I used to have 4 different accounts on my phone and switching between them was annoying.

The new phone has a gyroscope as well as the standard accelerometers and compass. Ought to make for some interesting games.

The camera is nice. 5MP plus does HD video, which is a first for a phone. Some other phones claim HD but they all fall short of the minimum 720 lines needed to be HD.

it feels real solid. Real well made. You have to hand it to apple for their engineering.

Face it though, these are more mini-computers than phones now. Works fine for me. Eliminates 90% of the need for a laptop for me.

DFMiller
06-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Thanks.
Dave

PeteF
06-25-2010, 07:56 AM
I haven't had a look at one in the flesh yet, but believe the 4G has video phone capabilities. Why they didn't put a second camera in the previous iPhones seemed odd to me. I believe not all countries have networks that will allow that, but it's been available for years here in Australia so in that regard my iPhone (3G) was a bit of a step backward.

lazlo
06-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Why they didn't put a second camera in the previous iPhones seemed odd to me.

The same reason they fought so hard to keep Skype off the iPhone, the reason they've disabled the data transport on the iPhone's Bluetooth interface (which is why you can't sync the iPhone over Bluetooth) and the reason that they won't allow tethering on the iPhone (even though they've always allowed tethering on all the AT&T smartphones except iPhone): the AT&T network can't handle it.

AT&T's network is suffering from the success of the iPhone itself. When you go to the Mall, or the Airport, everyone has an iPhone.

http://blog.flurry.com/Portals/41620/images//NexusOne_Day74_SalesComparison.png

But Droid sales are steadily surpassing iPhone now, so hopefully the smartphones will load-balance across the various providers.

The Verizon iPhone 4G is due later this Summer, so that should load-balance as well.

hitnmiss
06-25-2010, 09:29 AM
I just got an Iphone4... 1st cell phone ever.

It's pretty cool but is it worth the money? We'll see.

The $15 data plan finally sold me, I couldn't choke the $30/month plan.

aostling
06-25-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm visiting in Palo Alto this week. Yesterday I walked past Steve Jobs house on Waverley St and snapped this photo from his driveway. It's a really nice house, but relatively modest for the man who founded Apple.

Apparently he drives an Audi, which was parked in the driveway.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/SteveJobshouse.jpg

lazlo
06-25-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm visiting in Palo Alto this week. Yesterday I walked past Steve Jobs house on Waverley St and snapped this photo from his driveway. It's a really nice house, but relatively modest for the man who founded Apple.

LOL! That's not his primary residence :)

He's been fighting a huge court battle trying to demolish the historic Jackling mansion in Woodside to build a giant Michael Dell/Bill Gates complex on it:

This is the mansion he wants to demolish:

http://www.macdailynews.com/gfx/article_gfx/060227_jackling.jpg

Court won’t hear case to tear down Steve Jobs’ house

"The California Supreme Court does not want to hear about Steve Jobs’ quest to tear down a historic Woodside mansion. On April 25, the state's high court turned down Jobs' petition to hear his case," Andrea Gemmet reports for Palo Alto Online.

"Jobs, the CEO of Apple Inc., has been waging a losing battle against a group of preservationists over the fate of the Jackling house, a massive Spanish Colonial revival-style mansion built in 1926," Gemmet reports.

"He said he plans to tear it down and build a new family home on the Mountain Home Road site, but has been thwarted by an ad-hoc preservation group called Uphold Our Heritage that filed suit to block the demolition," Gemmet reports. "Jobs was granted a demolition permit by the town of Woodside in December 2004."

Ed P
06-25-2010, 09:58 AM
The primary feature of the iPhone 4G is the high resolution screen: 960x640.

I thought the iPhone 4.0 was 3G or am I wrong???

Ed P

lazlo
06-25-2010, 10:01 AM
I thought the iPhone 4.0 was 3G or am I wrong???

Yeah, that's confusing -- Apple released the iPhone 4.0 software a week before the iPhone 4G went "on-sale" (meaning, that people like Jerry waited in line for hours to get one :) ).

You can install iPhone 4.0 on any iPhone, but the kludgey "multitasking" only works on the 3GS or above, which is a pretty cheezy marketing ploy on Apple's part, IMHO, and I have a 3GS...

aostling
06-25-2010, 10:54 AM
He's been fighting a huge court battle trying to demolish the historic Jackling mansion in Woodside to build a giant Michael Dell/Bill Gates complex on it:

I know. I have a friend who was renting a room on the Jackling estate. She was forced to move out when Jobs started his plans for demolition, back in about 1984. It's nice and secluded, but Jobs can't live on that estate yet.

macona
06-25-2010, 06:28 PM
http://blog.flurry.com/Portals/41620/images//NexusOne_Day74_SalesComparison.png

But Droid sales are steadily surpassing iPhone now, so hopefully the smartphones will load-balance across the various providers.

Thats kind of like comparing apples and oranges. It compares a OS against a phone. Droid runs on a number of different platforms and carriers. Its like comparing Windows which runs on everything, to mac OS which only runs on macs.

Yeah, that's confusing -- Apple released the iPhone 4.0 software a week before the iPhone 4G went "on-sale" (meaning, that people like Jerry waited in line for hours to get one ).

You can install iPhone 4.0 on any iPhone, but the kludgey "multitasking" only works on the 3GS or above, which is a pretty cheezy marketing ploy on Apple's part, IMHO, and I have a 3GS...

Official name of the new phone is iPhone 4, not 4G.

I only stood in line for about 30 minutes at the AT&T store on the 15th. Took longer to process the order than anything else since the servers were crashing from the overload. The AT&T guy said AT&T has reserved three million phones. But there are reports that is was only 600,000. Something like 13,000,000 upgrade qualification queries were processed.

When I went to get it yesterday I wandered down to the store and was helped immediately. No lines. The word had gotten out there was no point going down to get your phone if it was not preordered as there were no spares. it took a bit to get the account switched over but I was out in probably 20-25 minutes.

I now know why they have that little indicator for GPS in the bar on top. Some programs can use GPS in the background. I was playing with trapster earlier. Couple hours later I noticed I only had 25% left on the battery. I didnt know it ran in the background. Also found you can flick to the side on the app switcher to get to the other apps as well.

Funny thing is WM7 coming out this fall does not have multitasking in any form.

oldbikerdude37
06-25-2010, 06:49 PM
http://picturehoster.info/images/01044765699887816154.png

http://picturehoster.info/images/03634879470459601394.jpg

macona
06-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Macs can be repaired like any other computer.

saltmine
06-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Yeah, but not by normal human beings.

If you have a problem with a MAC, you have to take it to an "authorized MAC repair center" where it will be diagnosed (for a small charge), and suggested repairs will be discussed with you. I think their labor rate on MAC computers is somewhere around $250 an hour. "MAC only" parts are hideously expensive, and they recommend they be installed only by licensed MAC Technicians.

I fix, repair, and build my PC computers myself, and, I can get almost any PC part I need at most "Big Box" electronics stores.

Most of the time, if a MAC goes down, the MAC repair center will recommend you buy a new one instead of repairing your "old one". On a positive note.....they will offer to recycle your old MAC free of charge.

PeteF
06-25-2010, 07:31 PM
The same reason they fought so hard to keep Skype off the iPhone, the reason they've disabled the data transport on the iPhone's Bluetooth interface (which is why you can't sync the iPhone over Bluetooth) and the reason that they won't allow tethering on the iPhone (even though they've always allowed tethering on all the AT&T smartphones except iPhone): the AT&T network can't handle it.

AT&T's network is suffering from the success of the iPhone itself. When you go to the Mall, or the Airport, everyone has an iPhone.

Actually I have my iPhone tethered, been doing it for a while, though I don't use it much as it really sucks the data up.

One has to remember the iPhone is sold to the entire world, and all I can say is that I think you guys get REALLY shafted with your phones/networks. This business of having to go through AT&T is just bizarre, the network in the US is just archaic. No disrespect intended, but it seems like yet another example of a US company totally unwilling to invest in appropriate infrastructure. As a matter of comparison, video calling has been available in Australia since 2005 and I never really think of it as being exactly bleeding edge technology.

As far an "anti-Apple" sentiments expressed by some, I wonder just how many Apple products they have owned and used such that they are speaking from first hand experience and not simply regurgitating crap. For the average person, when they buy a fridge/washing machine/dvd player/television/etc they bring it home, ignore the instruction book, plug it in and it simply works. Likewise if the same appliances fail the average person wouldn't dream of pulling his/her plasma off the wall and starting to strip it down to find the fault! So why should another home appliance like a computer be any different? Apples philosophy is that you buy the product, plug it in, and it works. Buy an accessory for it, plug it in, and it works. When it doesn't work, you take it in for repair. Simple. The notion that you throw it out is simply crap. Indeed next week I have a technician coming to replace a board in mine as it was hit by lightning a while back, the cost? FOC!

lazlo
06-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Actually I have my iPhone tethered, been doing it for a while, though I don't use it much as it really sucks the data up.

Apple just added tethering last week with iPhone 4.0 ($25/month for 2GB! :eek: ), so if you've been doing it for awhile, you Jailbroke your phone. That's a whole 'nuther story.

Jailbreaking the iPhone allows you to do real multitasking too, but Steve doesn't want you to do that :)

macona
06-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Yeah, but not by normal human beings.

If you have a problem with a MAC, you have to take it to an "authorized MAC repair center" where it will be diagnosed (for a small charge), and suggested repairs will be discussed with you. I think their labor rate on MAC computers is somewhere around $250 an hour. "MAC only" parts are hideously expensive, and they recommend they be installed only by licensed MAC Technicians.

I fix, repair, and build my PC computers myself, and, I can get almost any PC part I need at most "Big Box" electronics stores.

Most of the time, if a MAC goes down, the MAC repair center will recommend you buy a new one instead of repairing your "old one". On a positive note.....they will offer to recycle your old MAC free of charge.

There are many places to get your macs serviced outside the Apple Stores. I dont know pricing though, my macs have gone obsolete before they broke. And stuff like hard drives, memory, and processors I do myself. Those are just standard components.

I think the state of the wireless network in the US has to do with the sheer size of the covered area. If you want to upgrade then you have to do one heck of a lot of towers. I cant imagine how many sites there are.

macona
06-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Apple just added tethering last week with iPhone 4.0 ($25/month for 2GB! :eek: ), so if you've been doing it for awhile, you Jailbroke your phone. That's a whole 'nuther story.

Jailbreaking the iPhone allows you to do real multitasking too, but Steve doesn't want you to do that :)

huh, wow, you are right. I didnt know about the tethering. Guess its a good thing I kept my grandfathered in, $30 unlimited data.

PeteF
06-25-2010, 07:59 PM

Did I? Really? Actually I have a normal iPhone. Please see above, I DON'T live in the US!

lazlo
06-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Please see above, I DON'T live in the US!

Ah, sorry! My point was the lack of tethering (and BlueTooth sync'ing) was a limitation of the carrier (AT&T) and not an iPhone limitation. I have no idea how the carrier rules work outside of the 'States.

But you've been able to tether, multitask, and sync over Bluetooth since the original iPhone, if you Jailbroke it.

thedieter
06-25-2010, 08:09 PM
I changed over from Verizon to Sprint on June 12th to be able to get an htc EVO 4G. After a lot of comparing I was about ready to get the htc Incredible but my Son suggested that I change to Sprint because Sprint and Verizon share a huge network.

It is only fair to admit that I will never buy an Apple product due to the closed system. They just announced on the news that some people are having problems with the antenna around the edge interfering with reception depending upon how it is held. Apple’s solution…don’t hold it that way!

I went on a one week trip and had to decide if I needed to take the laptop. Lets see, leave the laptop, take the EVO (from the Godfather). I only took the EVO and it worked great for navigation, finding restaurants, checking and writing emails, etc. (even used it as a phone)

Best regards, Jack

PeteF
06-25-2010, 08:16 PM
No worries! My point was that AT&T is really crippling available technology and I'm a bit disappointed that Apple, of all companies, would allow that to happen. I've never noticed it myself when I'm in the US, as the pricing system is crippling in itself, but you guys possible don't see that as I'm there with a foreign phone/carrier and get all these weird charges I don't cop in any other country ("air time" for example, WTF!). I'd typically just be using my iPhone on wireless networks and regular phone calls.

Incidentally, not to rub salt into the wounds, but my iPhone is tethered over Bluetooth :p

Edit: Oh speaking of which, one thing I absolutely LOVE up there are the number of free wireless hotspots. No BS, no signing up for anything, no crap, just walk in and start using the network ... Skype of course :)

Your Old Dog
06-25-2010, 08:23 PM
"He said he plans to tear it down and build a new family home on the Mountain Home Road site, but has been thwarted by an ad-hoc preservation group called Uphold Our Heritage that filed suit to block the demolition," Gemmet reports. "Jobs was granted a demolition permit by the town of Woodside in December 2004."

I'd be smoking mad if I was being dictated to by a preservationist society trying to save a property built in 1921 !! I could see if it was 1850's or something older. My home was built in 1925. It just don't seem that age wise anyone would have any say in it.

I use a TracFone at about $129.00 per year and 1000 minutes. I just need to buy more time at the end of 365 days whether I need it or not and still get to keep the old minutes. My year is up this July 17th and I still have 700 minutes. It works everywhere I"ve taken it as they use all the other cellphone companies. I think it's a great deal for someone who doesn't live on the phone.

J. Randall
06-26-2010, 03:33 AM
YOD, I tried a TracFone , worked great everywhere I went except the town where I live, I knew I was in trouble when I had to drive out to the city limits to get it to activate. They even sent me another better quality phone, it did'nt work either.Wish mine had worked, it was just the kind of plan I needed.
James