PDA

View Full Version : New tube of glue/grease/etc., squeeze from the end or the middle?

vpt
06-24-2010, 05:40 PM
So I opened up a new tube of dielectric grease today and folded the end flap over right away to start squeezing out some grease. It got me to wondering what other people do with new consumables of different types. Do you guys just squeeze a new tube of glue from the middle or do you keep folding the back flap over to keep the tube of glue looking neat and insure all of the glue is used in the end? Do you guys tip paint cans upside down and spray for a few seconds to clean them out before putting them away? Do you put the cap back on? Stuff like that.

Also do any of you use those mechanical glue tube squeezers?

Liger Zero
06-24-2010, 05:46 PM
I have a nine-axis laser-guided CNC glue processing and application center with robotic load/unload and a 500 gallon in-process tank. It is backed up by a 70,000 square foot compounding and manufacturing system serviced by two rail sidings and a deepwater dock for tanker delivery of feed stocks.

So no.. I don't deal with tubes of glue.

Your Old Dog
06-24-2010, 07:51 PM
I hate getting a new one. I sometimes sit in a comatose state trying to decide how to approach the problem. Sometimes when my wife comes out to tell it's time to eat she'll see my dilemma and punch me in the shoulder to snap me out of it. She went to visit here sister one year and I was in a trance for 3 days on a damn tube of Gasket in a Tube.

:D

Dr Stan
06-24-2010, 08:33 PM
I hate getting a new one. I sometimes sit in a comatose state trying to decide how to approach the problem. Sometimes when my wife comes out to tell it's time to eat she'll see my dilemma and punch me in the shoulder to snap me out of it. She went to visit here sister one year and I was in a trance for 3 days on a damn tube of Gasket in a Tube.:D

I have days like that, so I usually just cut both ends open. That way I do not have to make a decision. :D

Really gets interesting when I forget and do that to a aerosol can. :eek:

jack3140
06-24-2010, 09:01 PM
i usually squeeze the center of the tube until it is about half used then i roll up the end and i do turn paint cans upside down to clear the nozzle it may not please some people but your question deserves an answer have a nice day jack and yes i put the cap back on to id the color if i have not destroyed it when removing it as i sometimes do lol

Fasttrack
06-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Mechanical glue tube squeezers? They make those? You're kidding right?

Or are are we talking about mechanical glue guns (like caulk guns) for large tubes of speciality adhesives, etc?

I just squeeze from the middle until the back end of the tube blows out and leaves a nice ol' wad of grease/gasket maker/glue on my boot. Then I think, damn... should've squeezed from the bottom. But I always squeeze from the middle. :D

MotorradMike
06-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Good question:

Can't you guys be serious? 9 axis LASER guided CNC for tube squeezing?
Really?

In addition to this dilemma, add the following:
When you get a new roll of shim stock, do you mount it on the dispenser with the loose flap hanging in front of, or behind the roll?

Thanks vpt, I'm sure we've all been there.

IMO, don't squeeze the $%^&*#(ing tube in the middle, or get out.
Off to therapy.

Liger Zero
06-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Good question:

Can't you guys be serious? 9 axis LASER guided CNC for tube squeezing?

Really?

No no no. The 70,000 sq ft compounding plant provides glue in bulk. the 9-axis laser-guided CNC with robotic load/unload is just the dispenser. Completely eliminated the need for "tubes." :rolleyes:

:D

ADGO_Racing
06-24-2010, 09:57 PM
I have a nine-axis laser-guided CNC glue processing and application center with robotic load/unload and a 500 gallon in-process tank. It is backed up by a 70,000 square foot compounding and manufacturing system serviced by two rail sidings and a deepwater dock for tanker delivery of feed stocks.

So no.. I don't deal with tubes of glue.

Must you always be a wise a$$????.....:D

mooney1el
06-24-2010, 10:06 PM
It depends on if it is a metal or plastic tube. The plastic tubes don't roll/fold up so well :)

Always turn the rattle can upside down and spray.

Richard

Liger Zero
06-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Must you always be a wise a$$????.....:D

You think it's easy to pull this kind of nonsense out of the aether? :D

vpt
06-24-2010, 10:33 PM
The normal aluminum RVT type tubes like this:

http://besttoy.net/caraccs/glue650f1.jpg

Right from the get go I alway keep folding the flap over on itself.

I never put the cap back on a paint can, I can see the color on the nozzle and the caps just slow me down.

This is kind of like the mechanical squeezers I was talking about:

http://imprintjasper.com/zencart/images/products/alvin/4478.jpg

Dr Stan
06-25-2010, 12:10 AM
These tube squeezers are usually available at artist supply houses such as Dick Blick.

Full disclosure, I'm married to an artist. :D

mf205i
06-25-2010, 12:29 AM
I don’t turn the rattle cans over. Instead I pull the nozzle and give it, and the valve at the can, a little shot of parts cleaner. Saves paint and I start with a clean nozzle every time.
Mike

Fasttrack
06-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Well I'll be... I guess that makes sense for oil paints. Those can get extremely pricey, from what I've seen. But it seems a little ridiculous for a 3 dollar tube of gasket maker or grease. <shrug> If I can't the very last 0.05 cents out of the tube using my fingers, I'm ok with that. ;)

ADGO_Racing
06-25-2010, 12:44 AM
Doesn't whatever goop is in the tube get caught between the waves created by the teeth in that contraption???:rolleyes:

ADGO_Racing
06-25-2010, 12:50 AM
On a serious note, I do use a piece of cold rolled on a flat surface, start at the back and roll everything forward. Really only works well on aluminum tubes. The plastic tubes just suck whatever goop back. The process works on plastic tubes if you can roll the contents out onto a piece of plastic or cardboard, etc. But you still don't get it all.

Paint cans, I avoid.....You do not want to see anything I paint..:eek: It definitely is not a pretty sight!

Black Forest
06-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Now it relates to machining! What tooth form on the glue squeezer would be the most efficient? I think involute would allow too much glue to slip by. Actually just two rollers with a gear driven hand crank with an air cylinder squeezing the rollers together, set to the appropriate pressure pertaining to the temperature of the glue.

Now tooth paste tubes are the real dilemma. Does a family need to have a tube per family member? So each can squeeze the tube according to their own preference? My wife told me early on that not putting the cap back on the tooth paste was grounds for a divorce and she would take me to the cleaners in court!

darryl
06-25-2010, 02:33 AM
I know it's not cnc, or even electronic. In fact it's not even wind up-

http://www.glacern.net/free_photo_upload/tube%20squeezer%201.jpg

Well, I guess it's KINDA windup

Highpower
06-25-2010, 08:27 AM
I have a couple dozen of these, albeit a more "modern" version that is provided with each tube of Toyota F.I.P.G. (Form In Place Gasket - AKA: Silicone sealant)

And yes - I invert the spray paint cans in order to clean out the pickup tube when I'm done spraying, and replace the cap to help protect the nozzle. Because I just know I will end up knocking the can off the shelf later and shearing off the nozzle or puncturing the seal around it. Such is my luck...... :o
http://images.goantiques.com/dbimages2/RVA1337/RVA1337MS1880.jpg

http://images.goantiques.com/dbimages3/RVA1337/RVA1337MS1880.jpg
http://www.goantiques.com/scripts/images,id,1808940.html#image2

Spin Doctor
06-25-2010, 09:10 AM
When we went from metal to plastic tubes invariably the plastic ones would split at the bottom no matter where you squezzed them :confused:

Paul Alciatore
06-25-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't have any particular technique for squeezing tubes, I just do it. And I try to get the last bit out if I can.

Spray paint: yes, I do invert and spray a bit until it comes out clear. Then I quickly wipe the nozzle to remove the last drop. Some paints do not need this but many do and I rarely throw out any unused paint due to a clogged nozzle.

New tip for super glue. Super glue will dry in a capped tube and prevent any more from coming out. I store the tubes vertically with the tip UP so it drains out of the tip. This does not completely prevent drying, but it takes longer to dry the bulk glue in the tube instead of the small amount in the tip. So it lasts longer that way. A pill bottle makes a nice way to do this.

Your Old Dog
06-25-2010, 02:10 PM
New tip for super glue. Super glue will dry in a capped tube and prevent any more from coming out. I store the tubes vertically with the tip UP so it drains out of the tip. This does not completely prevent drying, but it takes longer to dry the bulk glue in the tube instead of the small amount in the tip. So it lasts longer that way. A pill bottle makes a nice way to do this.

Along the same lines as Paul's tip suggestions. I store my small tubes of LockTite in a very small glass jar. It keeps them standing up and keeps ambiant air from circulating around them. I know I haven't had any trouble with them going bad, leaking or freezing the cap on. My bottle was a small spice bottle I think.

As for the tubes. I have been known to cut the back end off of metal tubes so I could clean out the tube and put grease in them for my outdoor atv, dirt bike and such.

vpt
06-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Working after hours (stores closed) I have put tubes in the vise just to get that last tiny bit that I need.

A little tip: The plastic cones that screw onto the end of the tubes that you cut to the size bead you need. After done with the glue unscrew the plastic cone and give a little squeeze of the tube to leave a little ball of glue at the threaded side of the cone. Next time you need the cap just grab the ball of glue and pull, it will pull all the glue out of the cone leaving it nice and clean and ready to use. *may not work for all glues.

If not I use a nail to push the glue out.

danlb
06-25-2010, 05:02 PM
No-one made the obvious observation;

Whether you squeeze from the end or the middle depends on what the wife has beaten into your skull when she sees the toothpaste tube. Some things become automatic.

I usually squeeze from the middle, as it's easier to hold that way. And my wife has her own toothpaste tube.

Dan

Alistair Hosie
06-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Talking of grease John Stevenson and I spent ages trying to make a new wick for his cars headlamp from an old pair of his rough linen scanties.I gave up after we drunk several pints of lamp oil .Farted myself into oblivion the next day as did his highness so a good time was had by all really. :D Alistair